• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Signal GK

What I liked about Signal GK is that it had the goodness of Traveller's Digest orignality combined with fresh new darker noir look without being sucidal.

Simply, the best fanzine produced for MT.

In answer to your question Scott, as far as I'm aware no-one who contributed art was ever involved in the LBBs. No doubt some of them were influenced by the books.

A lot of the art was from people who contributed articles and wanted something to try to illustrate and capture some of the essence of those articles. Others were enthusiastic amateurs or budding professionals who either liked Traveller or Sci-Fi in general. For example, my brother Nik (NP) contributed a number of pieces of works knocks out CAD and 3D work as training material for the Army. He still draws (and is a lot better now).

Kafka, thanks for the thumbs up; Scott, thanks for the support!

Leighton

Aargh!! Too much Traveller fanzine goodness in too short a timeframe!

THRILLPOWEROVERLOAD!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sometimes, it is a discussion, what if DGP would take over the reign of MegaTraveller. There are times when I see such goodness from such a small group of dedicated people, maybe Traveller would have been better off, if the good folks of S-GK took over Traveller which leads me back to Traveller "done right" is always a collaborative effort.

Yours praise is most humbling....

Seriously. It is good to know that the community out there can find the material useful, given the background to the project and who those people were.

It gives me an incentive to carry on with the rest.

Issue #5 I hope to have out within 2-3 weeks. Depends on if I find any missing material; for example, the Library Data for issue 4 was short two entries that I'd never noticed over the years. I had to quickly come up with library data, something I haven't done for years and years...

Can you guess which ones?

Again, I would ask anyone of an artistic mind who wouldn't mind adding or amending some of the illustrative materialfor the issues already available and those forthcoming. I have a couple of names to contact, but don't feel shy. Especially those that have access to mapping software.

Once again, thanks for your support.

Leighton

Kafka,

It depends on what the objective is. As a commercial interest, Traveller may not be the most lucrative RPG to follow, but it certainly has a loyal and dedicated following who are only too willing to see the product flourish. That's where I would take your point about successful collaborative efforts to develop anything which tends to be sensitive to its adherents.

As far as I'm concerned, the thing that marks a game out from the crowd is the background and not the mechanics. A single person can sow the seeds of a great idea, but it usually takes a team (I use it in the loosest sense) to give it a life of its own. That's what Traveller has, and that is why I like 'Fading Suns' for example - another Sci-Fi game with a very rich background and feeling, but very different from Traveller.

I see many people on the forums who have expressed many opinions over which version is better, or worse. I don't see it like that. Yes you can prefer the mechanics of one edition over the others, but I think it is secondary. And yes you can be left with a system that is unplayable. But Traveller is greater than that. Use what you like.

There are many, many things in the mechanics of all the rule sets that I've bothered to read that just don't make sense to me, and in SGK some of these things we occasionally addressed. And why we didn't try to stick to one rules set.

I'm part of a small group that meets infrequently for half a days gaming and we play a selection of RPGs - next time in a week or two we are playing 'Ringworld'. When we done a few sessions of that I'm going to give them Traveller, with the 'World of Darkness' Storyteller system as the base mechanic. That's because that is my favourite system - right now at least. I let you know how it works.

That's enough of me rambling...

Leighton

PS If anyone's interested in the WoD ST system for Traveller...

Kafka,

It depends on what the objective is. As a commercial interest, Traveller may not be the most lucrative RPG to follow, but it certainly has a loyal and dedicated following who are only too willing to see the product flourish. That's where I would take your point about successful collaborative efforts to develop anything which tends to be sensitive to its adherents.
With all due respect, Leighton, not sure that you are 100% correct here. I think in today's marketplace, producers have to become in sync with their consumers. Hence the road to profitability lies in collabouration.

You may well be correct there Kafka, I'm hardly up to date with the marketplace. It just appears to me that Traveller never had the same push that other games/systems have and that in this instance it may be difficult to attract significant new 'customers', or at least gamers new to Traveller.

This could be a function of where I've lived and what Traveller products have been available locally. With the advent of the global market place then this ceases to be a barrier (as my credit card will testify)!

I'm all for collaboration. Many minds can make the product better. The better products tend to sell well....

Take your point.

In answer to your question - All 13 issues of the Signal-GK fanzine can be downloaded (for free) from http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Signal-GK/issues

The library data from each issue was then subsequently recompiled, rewritten and expanded into a comprehensive guide to an entire sector.

The Encyclopaedia Dagudashaag from Signal GK Productions is a 382 pages long PDF detailing 559 solar systems, introduces one extremely skilled, well informed hacker called CyJac, several minor sophont races, some brilliant artwork and lots and lots of adventure hooks…

AND IT’S COMPLETELY FREE!

Download from http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/images/2/27/Encyclopaedia_Dagudashaag.pdf

I'd appreciate a review if you enjoy. Help spread the word

Signal-GK: A cry for help – a call to adventure!

All Dagudashaag entries are ©1989-2017 Signal-GK Productions The Dagudashaag-specific sections of this work may not be reproduced in any form or by any means without written permission from the authors or publisher. All rights reserved.

Back