• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T4 Only: Some people say no stealth in space, a discussion.

Why would it be? If the hull were the same as ambient temperature, it's invisible in IR. What makes you easy to find is you "rotate and radiate" sending out things like sensor signals and such. Then you become a lighthouse.
The ambient temp of space is -455 degrees Fahrenheit. So, yes if your ship (which includes the inside) is at that temp you are going to blend in when viewed in the IR band. :eek:

From my perspective, space is a VERY big place and if you have a small ship and don't want to be found, just turn everything off will make it really hard for someone to find you. It's like trying to pick out a single, tiny, asteroid within an entire solar system. Not easy to do.

So, if your ship is mostly or completely powered down and drifting, it's going to be damn hard to find.
So your crew freeze to death?

Why would it be? If the hull were the same as ambient temperature, it's invisible in IR. What makes you easy to find is you "rotate and radiate" sending out things like sensor signals and such. Then you become a lighthouse.
If the hull is at ambient temperature then your crew has frozen to death.

I think it would be more profitable to consider looking at the post I brought over from the Mongoose Board in post #17 above and comment on that. If stealth is what you want, then that is a viable possibility and the way to go. And it opens up some interesting scenarios.

I think it would be more profitable to consider looking at the post I brought over from the Mongoose Board in post #17 above and comment on that. If stealth is what you want, then that is a viable possibility and the way to go. And it opens up some interesting scenarios.
Naw too much fantasy for Traveller. If you want to chuck that much physics out the window just say you have a magical box in engineering that you route all your heat to and leave it at that

sure, for a little while. You sit in an unpowered, motionless spaceship countless billions of KM from anyone and do what?
If you have velocity when you shut down, you continue to drift at that velocity. Say you want to sneak into an outer gas giant undetected. You coast in shutdown, and only power back up when you get close to the planet and are doing your atmospheric entry. The planet's atmosphere shields you while you refuel from detection--no active sensors only passive ones-- then you build up speed, head into space and do the same thing on the way out.

For smugglers passing through a high security system or something where they need to avoid detection, it's one way to try and evade the authorities.

If you have velocity when you shut down, you continue to drift at that velocity. Say you want to sneak into an outer gas giant undetected. You coast in shutdown, and only power back up when you get close to the planet and are doing your atmospheric entry. The planet's atmosphere shields you while you refuel from detection--no active sensors only passive ones-- then you build up speed, head into space and do the same thing on the way out.

For smugglers passing through a high security system or something where they need to avoid detection, it's one way to try and evade the authorities.
Ok. So you'll have to start out FAR outside the solar system so you aren't seen thrusting. But in order to slow down enough to enter the atmosphere you'll have to reverse thrust for as long as you thrusted in the first place. So, either you are hardly moving and it takes you MONTHS to get to the GG or, you get going really fast (thrusting at max G's for a couple days) then you have to reverse thrust at max G's for a couple days to slow down enough to enter the GG and you are spotted

Naw too much fantasy for Traveller. If you want to chuck that much physics out the window just say you have a magical box in engineering that you route all your heat to and leave it at that

If that is too much fantasy then G/M-Drives and no large heat radiator panels certainly is as well. Utilizing the tech already on the table only makes sense.

If that is too much fantasy then G/M-Drives and no large heat radiator panels certainly is as well. Utilizing the tech already on the table only makes sense.
No. the drives are needed to have the game. Getting rid of part of the EM spectrum is NOT necessary. There is no "tech"on the table to get rid of the EM spectrum

No. the drives are needed to have the game. Getting rid of part of the EM spectrum is NOT necessary. There is no "tech"on the table to get rid of the EM spectrum
That’s a IMU running choice, not a hard rule.

Why do we have magic drives? Same reason the Expanse does, so we don’t have ‘9 months later’ interruption in potential action and storylines.

If you want hard science in your game, fine, my bigger question then is how do you manage your stories and battles and sneaks when you are autospotted 1 AU away.

And my question will always be what are the ramifications of the tech you introduce? So you have gravitics and electroweak/nuclear damper tech. Great. What other spin-off tech is that going to enable you to do? How will it change your "hard science", because I can guarantee it will not be isolated to doing one thing (like drives) and then be forgotten about or useless for anything else.

And my question will always be what are the ramifications of the tech you introduce? So you have gravitics and electroweak/nuclear damper tech. Great. What other spin-off tech is that going to enable you to do? How will it change your "hard science", because I can guarantee it will not be isolated to doing one thing (like drives) and then be forgotten about or useless for anything else.
The space magic begins and ends wherever the referee chooses it will make the best universe to game in. Fortunately we do not have to worry about spin-off because it is our universe.

1. It really comes down to what you want to fool, and for how long.

c26e304215b43ebc552cec10f5ae5524.jpg

3. Multi spectrum becomes rather challenging.

4. As I sit here busy guzzling my instant mee while staring at a screen, I'm reminded that conservation of energy means it all has to go somewhere.

5. Despite any internal changes, or transformations.

6. And I really should enjoy my vacation hitting the hawker stalls.

7. And restaurants.

8. Which just costs more, but gets you about the same outcome.

I haven't introduced any tech into the Traveller game. So, nice straw man argument
There is no straw man argument, because I was speaking generally; I have no interest in your particular campaign.

If you have gravitics or dampers, then you have introduced tech, because they do not exist in real-life "hard science". Even if they are in the game rules, you have introduced them. What ramifications does that have?

What I find perplexing is that for those who want to have some type of stealth or detection reduction or heat dissipation, there exists a plausible mechanism via already existing tech utilizing established Traveller canon with a bit of hard-science rationalizing thru the gravitic interaction. Why not exlpore that?

Last edited:
There is no straw man argument, because I was speaking generally; I have no interest in your particular campaign.

If you have gravitics or dampers, then you have introduced tech, because they do not exist in real-life "hard science". Even if they are in the game rules, you have introduced them. What ramifications does that have?

What I find perplexing is that for those who want to have some type of stealth or detection reduction or heat dissipation, there exists a plausible mechanism via already existing tech utilizing established Traveller canon with a bit of hard-science rationalizing thru the gravitic interaction. Why not exlpore that?
In my case I already have my handwavium and progressed to cost/benefit/use cases within the context of the play options I wanted.

Unfortunately that is what is required to square the circle - a space magic box. i prefer to have some in universe handwavium rather than - oh look over there...

At present Traveller has no mechanism for dealing with waste heat - there is one canon reference to a radiator fin...

The mongoose board solution is based on the new SOM descriptions of gravitcs, maneuver drives and grav comms.

Gravitics (from grav plates to m-drives) couple with an external gravity source. Makes sense to be able to radiate gravitational waves into this coupled field - gravitic comms are allowed even.

Back