• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Stellar Reaches

So far, things are coming along well. We look on target for a release before the end of the month.

Thanks, All,
Flynn

Good morning, All,

Work proceeds well on Issue #3 of the Stellar Reaches fanzine. It looks like it will be the biggest issue yet, even though I am reserving a few submissions for future issues. I still feel that I am on target for a release before the end of November. Again, my apologies for the wait, and I hope that you enjoy the end results.

This issue will introduce two new columns:

Alternate Universes will be a column that allows contributors to present a brief one-to-eight page summary of their alternate Traveller campaign settings. We’ll be starting with Omer Golan’s "Solar Triumvirate" setting, and if the column proves interesting enough to the readers, I hope that others will submit summaries of their own ATUs.

Empty Quarter Echo will become a regular column submitted by Jeff M. Hopper. It is a "travelogue" style of regular column, presenting items of the Empty Quarter background from a first-person viewpoint, that of a free trader merchant who is travelling across the sector. They are intended to provide a bit more personal experience and flavor to campaigns run in the Empty Quarter sector. I’ve read the first two submissions, and I have enjoyed them immensely. I hope you do, as well.

You’ll also be able to read some of the outstanding submissions to our 76 Ethical Patrons contest, from way back in June.

Hope you have enjoyed this update. Check back with us later for more news.

Yours In Service,
Flynn

What, you mean Scarecrow's doing it???

Or Ted Lyndsey perhaps???

Surely not Jesse deGraff???

It wouldn't be you, by any chance, would it Andrew? ;)
file_23.gif

p.s. I think your work is easily on a par with those mentioned above, I'm looking forward to seeing it

Originally posted by Flynn:

Alternate Universes will be a column that allows contributors to present a brief one-to-eight page summary of their alternate Traveller campaign settings. We’ll be starting with Omer Golan’s "Solar Triumvirate" setting, and if the column proves interesting enough to the readers, I hope that others will submit summaries of their own ATUs.
In case youre wondering, I'm Omer Golan

Count on me to provide additional material for MTU. I've sent you small craft for it (designed using Steve Osmanski's system); commercial starship designs (some using my LBB2 expansion, but most are pure LBB2 with a few minor houserules) are underway, and will soon be ready; military starships will be next; then I'll move on to provide you with detailed articles about more interesting aspects of my universe (such as other polities, alien life and more detailson theSolar Triumvirate). Also, MTUs *FULL* starmap (about 20 subsectors in total) is also under development, and abot half done.

Good morning, All,

It is the morning of the last day of November, and I still have to put the final touches on Issue #3 of Stellar Reaches. Tonight, I have my weekly gaming session, so unfortunately, the work cannot be done tonight. Tomorrow evening, however, I can get it done and hopefully have the issue posted by Friday morning. If there are any further delays, I'll be sure to let you guys know, but I'm excited because we are so close to its release. Once it's up, I'll post something to the Stellar Reaches website and to the COTI boards as well.

Thank you all for your patience and understanding,
Jason "Flynn" Kemp

Originally posted by Employee 2-4601:
Count on me to provide additional material for MTU. I've sent you small craft for it (designed using Steve Osmanski's system); commercial starship designs (some using my LBB2 expansion, but most are pure LBB2 with a few minor houserules) are underway, and will soon be ready; military starships will be next; then I'll move on to provide you with detailed articles about more interesting aspects of my universe (such as other polities, alien life and more detailson theSolar Triumvirate). Also, MTUs *FULL* starmap (about 20 subsectors in total) is also under development, and abot half done.
If the feature is well received, I'm all for it. I'm saving the starship designs for Issue #4, to see how people respond to the column. (That, and so I have some stuff for Issue #4 as well.
)

Thank you for your submissions and support,
Flynn

Originally posted by Flynn:
If the feature is well received, I'm all for it. I'm saving the starship designs for Issue #4, to see how people respond to the column. (That, and so I have some stuff for Issue #4 as well.
)
Big ship designs are underway, LBB2-EX style. I'll do them at first without deckplans (as deckplan work requires a computer running Paint Shop Pro 7, which I have only at home and thus accessible only for two days every two weeks), but expect a very wide selection of vessels, from merchant craft, through space stations to military craft detailing EVERYTHING (well, almost) I put in my LBB2-EX article (will it be in Issue #3 or Issue #4?). A full-universe supplement (think "S10 - The Solomani Rim" but set in MTU, with my sectors/descriptions and detailing most of MTU's known space) might be ready for #4 or #5 as well.

When you are ready to do a full universe supplement, it would probably be better as something outside of a normal Stellar Reaches issue. However, I'm willing to help with getting that together, and I will either post it to my site or have a link pointing to it once it's done. I'm handling my next campaign setting the same way, in order to keep from taking over too much of the space in Stellar Reaches dedicated to Traveller stuff other people can use.

Hope that helps,
Flynn

Good Morning, All,

Or Good Evening, as the case may be. For me, it's very, very late, and I've spent the last seven and a half hours finishing up Issue #3 of the Stellar Reaches fanzine for your enjoyment. Now that it is finally done and ready, I have sadly discovered that the final file size is just too big for me to upload onto the website, being as how it is sitting at ~9 megs, most of that being images. I will need to find a way of optimizing the file to greatly reduce its size (and since I'm using Acrobat 5.0 instead of 6.0 Professional, I don’t have access to that handy "reduce file size" option.)

If any of you have any suggestions, please feel free to share!

With Thanks,
Jason "Flynn" Kemp

GREAT NEWS!

Good Morning, All,

I finally worked around the original size problem by recreating the cover page myself (inspired by Chuck Shaw's original cover design, of course) and in so doing, I dropped the size of the overall PDF down to about one tenth of its original size. While it does not capture Chuck's work effectively, it does allow me to get Stellar Reaches out the door. Please bear in mind that I've now been up for more than 25 hours straight, and I've spent the eleven hours on this, so if I messed up somewhere along the way, I apologize now. If there are any glaring errors, please let me know, and I'll fix it as soon as I can after getting some good rest.

With that out of the way, Stellar Reaches Issue #3 is now available for download from the website! (A zipped version is also available there.) The website's URL is:

http://stellarreaches.nwgamers.org/

Inside this issue, you'll find a number of interesting articles. We've got a nice article on converting UWPs from the Classic Era of Traveller (circa 1105 to 1115) to the Gateway Era (circa 993 to 1000), as well as the third article on our continuing coverage of the Empty Quarter sector, this time focusing on the Beta Quadrant. "The Empty Quarter Echo" is a new column that presents worlds of the Empty Quarter sector from an in-character perspective, that of a Far Trader merchant travelling about the sector. We also have an expansion of CT Book Two starship design focused on small craft. "Alternate Universes" is a new column that introduces alternate Traveller campaigns. Finally, we have the five winners from the 76 Ethical Patrons contest we ran earlier this year. We wrap things up with our first "advertisement" promoting an online play-by-post game found on the Citizen of the Imperium boards. We even have permission to include an updated version of the BITS Task System, now including Traveller T20 difficulty classes, and use it in our future adventures. All told, the fanzine has grown even larger than the first two issues with 40 pages, and that's without a lifeform write-up or an adventure this time around. (Don't worry; those features will be returning in the next issue.)

We thank you very much for your patience over the delays in getting this issue out, and we hope that it proves to be worthy of the wait. It is our fervent hope to bring you Issue #4 in either late Winter or early Spring of 2006. Thank you also, fellow Travellers, for your continued support. That's what makes this all worth doing.

Keep On Travellin',
Jason "Flynn" Kemp
Editor, Stellar Reaches fanzine

It just keeps getting better and better :cool:

Congratulations Flynn, another excellent piece of work, and a big thank you to all the contributers

Flynn, Can you post Mr. Shaw's original artwork as a separate PDF? Or, over on the artwork thread?

That being said, I look forward to opening it and seeing what all's inside - as usual!!! :D

Thanks, Flynn for the advert.

Looks even better than the last one. Glad it is still free, with quality like this, if you need a $1-$2 paypal donation...no problem, it is worth it. Thanks for keeping the flame alight!

Fritz,

The artwork is the same; it's the cover design that differs. The artwork "Far Trader Over Regina" is our very own Mr. Andrew Boulton's. I just went with a simpler approach given my limited level of skill in comparison to the Baron's talents. The cover that Chuck made me using Andrew's image rang in at 8 meg, so I'm not likely to be posting it anywhere anytime soon, sadly. At least, now I know I can make my own covers.

Kafka,

Sadly, I can't make any money off of Stellar Reaches, or I lose the ability to do this. (It's pretty clearly written out in the Fair Use Policies for both FFE and QLI.) However, I can say that I've been paid back in kindness, support and friendship, and I'm very happy to be of service.

Enjoy, Everyone,
Flynn

Greetings and salutations,

Just making you aware that there is an error on the download for Stellar Reaches #3. On the main page where you can click to get the .zip file, it opens the PDF.

Outside of that, I got my copy and I'm ingesting it now!

You da man!

Back