• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T5 Worldbuild Take 1

I mention this table because there's one result there, #2, that would meet your needs quite well...a fungi in the air that it poisonous when breathed via lungs, but potentially wouldn't affect plants at all as they don't breath (in the conventional sense).

HMMMM!!! That would solve a couple of problems. The problem I see with CO2 or sulfur, is the impact on the biosphere. I am not sure it would make sense to have an agricultural planet with high concentration of CO2, as the biomass would convert most of that into O2, as happens here on Earth, but not Venus.

I do not have this source, or the T4 Pocket Empires book, and am forbidden from any more purchases until after Christmas. The X-boat delivered a package from FFE to the Baroness that I suspect I was not supposed to know about :D

The fungus among us.

Another thought there: Hivers, being a plant-like critter, may not be affected?
Actually I seem to recall they consume fungus that they grow in a part of every Nest, hell there are probably Nests that specialize in specialty fungi. I wonder if they can feed here by using filters and then clean them by eating the collected goop.

"Mmmm, yummy!" says the Hiver, "I must bring this back to my Nest."

Fungi

Downside: unlike atmospheric gasses, fungi would be harder to shield against. Possiblity of off world contamination and infection would create complications.

It is an interesting idea, but I don't think it will work.

Since this whole thing started as a result of the T5 kickstarter, I want to use the T5 rules until I find a place where there are no rules, then look at the previous editions for guidance

pp230 of the BBB : Atmosphere 9= Dense-tainted Poison-1 Filter-3.
pp225 Posion Must overwhelm Sealed hits to C1, C2 and C3.

Whatever is picked, has to conform to those criteria.

Toxic levels of CO2?

CO2 is not toxic, even at high levels. It may be suffocating, as it removes O2 and may kill by suffocation, never due to toxicity (CO, OTOH is very toxic, and high levels of CO2 are likely to have harmful levels of it too).

It can also have acidificating effects on water (or high humidity) as it produces carbonic acid (another way for it to be harmful, at least at high levels).

Planetary Government

In trying to work out the different Ministries in the Lemish planetary government of a civil service bureacracy, this is what I have come up with so far. M O means "Ministry Of" because I am lazy.

Lemish Government:

M O State
M O Treasury
..... Revenues
..... Customs
M O Defense,
..... Colonial Fleet Command
..... Colonial Marine Command
..... Search and Rescue (Coast Guard)
M O Justice
..... Attorney General
..... Dept Corrections
..... Lemish Bureau of Investigation
M O Interior
..... Dept Environment
..... Dept Parks
..... Dept Wildlife
M O Agriculture
..... Dept Livestock (livestock health)
M O Commerce
..... Dept Transportation
.......... Aviation
..... Dept Labor
M O Technology
..... Bureau Standards
M O Health
..... CDC
M O Education
M O Administrative affairs
..... Inspector General's office

Am I missing anything?

I did this as a prelude to putting together the "Dramatis Persona" to figure out what NPCs may be needed.

Dramatis Personae

Trying to map out some of people a baron might bump into.

If anyone out there IS one of these people, please let me know. I would love to meet you.

Nobility
1) Baron and Baroness Lemish
2) Duke Lemish
3) Sir <ToBeNamedLater> of Lemish
4) Sir <ToBeNamedLater> of Weyland:
5) Archduke Corridor

Imperial Military
1) Admiral, 60th Fleet
2) Admiral 105th Fleet
3) Admiral 1105th Fleet
4) Admiral 1060th Fleet
5) Commander Brigade Marines

Colonial Military
1. Admiral Colonial Defense Fleet
2. General Colonial Marines
3. Colonial SAR

Government
1) Seneschal
2) Prime Minister, and senior cabinet members

Family and entourage
1) Col. Khazgho Zen: House Lemish Huscarles commanding officer
2) Executive assistants.
3) household staff.
4) Press Secratary

Opfor
1) Vargr Pirate Band;
2) Commander of the Vargr Pirates:

Last edited:
CO2 is not toxic, even at high levels. It may be suffocating, as it removes O2 and may kill by suffocation, never due to toxicity (CO, OTOH is very toxic, and high levels of CO2 are likely to have harmful levels of it too).

It can also have acidificating effects on water (or high humidity) as it produces carbonic acid (another way for it to be harmful, at least at high levels).
Technically correct, which I understand is the best kind of correct according to Futurama.

But it can suffocate a person in quantities as little as 10 percent, despite sufficient oxygen. Dead is dead and the headaches are not pleasant.

In any event, once you get green plants, your O2 goes up and you CO2 levels crash. Which means it is not a good fit for an agricultural planet like Lemish.

Neighboring systems

I wanted to find out who the neighbors were, and I thought I had a 6 parsec hex map template for CC3, and for that I was mistaken. It is only 5 parsecs. I really need to learn the software.

Anyway, while working on that part, I find this:

1908 Weyland B435267-9 Lo O:1808

1808 is Lemish, that's me. What is that Lemish O:?

I do not see a knight of Weyland on the boards, and so I went ahead and rolled up the Weyland system. This went a bit faster than last time.

I used Thalassogen's word maker at http://heldenhaufen.de/T5/ for the names. I really hope I am not swearing in Vilani.

Hex Name UWP Remarks {Ix} (Ex) [Cx] N B Z PBG W A Stellar
1908 Weyland B435267-9 Lo O:1808 { 0} (610+0) [2259] B N 302 5 Im M3 V

A
Sector: Corridor
Hex: 1908
Mainworld: Weyland
B
Starport: B, Good Quality
Mainworld Type: Flux=+2, Planet
Habitable Zone variance: Flux=0, 0 variance
Climate: Temperate
Gas Giants: 2
Planetoid Belt: None
C
Mainworld size: 4, a 6,400 km diameter world
Atmosphere: 3, Very Thin, Effects Suff 2, Respirator 5
Hydrographics: 5, 50% water
Population: 2, Hundreds, 300 people
Government: 6, Captive Government/Colony. Ruled by leadership under direction of Lemish
Law Level: 7, Moderate Law, no pistols .
Tech Level: 9,
D
Trade Classifications:
Low Population (Pop=2)
E
Importance {0} (Starport B+1, Pop<6=-1)
Economic Extension (610+0)
Resources=6
Labor= 1
Infrastructure=0
Efficiencies= +0
RU=6
Cultural Extension [2259]
Homogeneity=2
Acceptance=2
Strangeness=5
Symbols=9
F
Nobility: B Baron,
Allegiance: Im, A member world of the Third Imperium (Hail Strephon), Owned by Lemish
Bases: Naval Base (The 60th and 105th Fleets protect this subsector. There are 5 other imperial Naval Bases in this subsector.)
Travel Zone: None
Native Status: Pop=2, 300 people. Non=permenent commercial or scientific activity. Transients
System Stars:
1 Star M3 V
M3V companion Flux=+2, no
Stellar Data:
Primary= M3 V,
G
Total Worlds In the System= 5, (Mainworld, 2 GG, +2 others)
Mainworld: Weyland
Gas Giant 1: 2D roll= 5 = Size Q (LGG) size 24, ~60,000 mile diameter, Smaller than Saturn
Gas Giant 2: 2D roll= 7 = Size S (LGG) size 26, ~80,000 miles diameter, larger than Saturn
5 Planets: Maximum Pop for any non-Mainworld is Mainworld minus 1.
1st: 2d Roll=6, orbit 1. Orbit 1 = HZ+1, LGG 1*
2nd: 2d Roll=12, orbit 7, HZ+7, LGG 2 *
3rd: 2d Roll=6, orbit 2, +HZ 1D Roll=1 Worldlet StSAHPGL-T Siz=1D-3=size 1 *
4th: 2d Roll=12, orbit 9, +HZ1D Roll=3 Iceworld StSAHPGL-T Pop=DM-6 *
5th: 2d Roll=7, orbit 3, +HZ 1D Roll=4 Bigworld StSAHPGL-T Size 2D+7=11+7=18 *

Therefore Main Star M3V, NEKA
Orbit 0: 0.2 AU. Mainworld B435267-9, WEYLAND
Orbit 1: 0.4 AU. Gas Giant 1 (1st,,) GIIPESH
Orbit 2: 0.7 AU. Worldlet StSAHPGL-T Siz=1, (3rd), SU
Orbit 3: 1.0 AU. Bigworld StSAHPGL-T Size =18 *(5th,) KERGIDE
Orbit 7: 10 AU. Gas Giant 1 (2st) IGIMAG
Orbit 9: 40 AU. Iceworld StSAHPGL-T Pop=DM-6 * (4th) GIKAN
=======================================================
The Lemish Subsector subsector contains 32 worlds with a population of 2.4 billion. The highest population is 900 million, at Alfive. The highest tech level is D at Dzaedenforr and Aurolee. The subsector capital is at Lemish.
http://travellermap.com/sector.htm?sector=Corridor#
M3V: 36% Msolar, 39% Radiussolar, 1.5% Lum Solar, 3250K Tsurface
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_dwarf

CO2 has a LD50 that is rather low... mostly because haemoglobin has a slightly higher afinity for CO2 than O2. (And far higher still for CO.) Close enough to toxic to treat it as such.

Plus, the physiological reaction to a high CO2 atmosphere is to hyperventilate... which is exhausting. Even when there is enough O2 to sustain life after the affinity issue, too much CO2 triggers hyperventilation, which can lead to death by exhaustion.

(I don't have any Mongoose products, so if I'm way off base, please let us know!)

The O:1808 means that the world is a colony of Lemish(1808) and IIRC from another discussion, that is a MgT convention.

The O:[hex] convention will usually refer to the most powerful world in a 6-hex radius, and that world is the primary source of the colonists, so to speak. It pre-supposes that the world has not gained its independence from the primary world.

(I don't have any Mongoose products, so if I'm way off base, please let us know!)

The O:1808 means that the world is a colony of Lemish(1808) and IIRC from another discussion, that is a MgT convention.

The O:[hex] convention will usually refer to the most powerful world in a 6-hex radius, and that world is the primary source of the colonists, so to speak. It pre-supposes that the world has not gained its independence from the primary world.
That is my understanding as well.

From looking at the parameters in the survey, it appears to be a young colony, and there to support the starport (300 people) and the naval base. But still produces 6 RUs worth of goods and services, which I think is impressive.

The cultural extensions are radically different for the two worlds. [Lemish 988F, Weyland 2259]. The colony is less homogenious, less accepting of outsiders, less strange, and not as into symbols. Apparently a bunch of folks who didn't agree with the majority culture.

In the Imperial Art Gallery I have posted two new maps. Or rather the latest, better versions of the maps I made earlier.

From Jewell to Lemish in 3 months

Under the assumption that the baron and baroness started off someplace like Jewell when the patents were delivered, and that the nobility have access to a J6 courier, curiosity led to plotting a course, to see how long that trip would be. Here is the course I came up with.

Of course if the second assumption is wrong, please let me know. If I screwed up the plot, please let me know. Most of these are Imperial Naval Bases, but not all.

Jewell SPIN 1106
Efate SPIN 1705
Moughas SPIN 2406 Civ
Paya SPIN 2509
Natoko SPIN 3209
Pretoria DENE 0406
Waalikii DENE 0906
Prolam DENE 1509
Imlaar DENE 2212 Scout base
Dophkah DENE 2715 Client State with Imperial Naval base
Kiran CORR 0112
Mowanda CORR 0709
KAASU CORR 1209 Civ, Sector Capital
Lemish CORR 1808

with a possible detour through Depot CORR 1511 before arrival.

What do you think?

Found some errors in previous course. This is the updated plot:

Jewell Spin1106, A777999-C Hi In
Efate Spin 1705, A646930-D Hi In An
ENOPE Spin 2205, C411988-7 Hi Ic In Na *Civ*
Paya Spin 2509, A655241-9 Lo Ga
Amaris Spin 3209, A5A0556-B He Ni
Pretoria Deneb 0406, B656967-C Hi Ga Cp Mr
Waalikii Deneb 0906, B525586-B Ni
Prolam Deneb 1509, B769436-A Ni
Diiski Deneb 2111, C66A200-8 Lo Wa *Civ*
Wal-ta-ki Deneb 2713 C560431-9 De Ni *Civ*
Kiran Corr 0112, A554856-D Pa Ph
Mowanda Corr 0709, B200534-A Ni Va
KAASU CORR 1209, AA7A9CD-F Hi In Oc Cs
1511 Depot, A686354-E Lo Ga maybe
Lemish CORR 1808, A79568C-C Ag Ni Cp

In trying to work out the different Ministries in the Lemish planetary government of a civil service bureacracy, this is what I have come up with so far. M O means "Ministry Of" because I am lazy.
am I missing anything?
QUOTE]

MO Sports

Dept. Vargr relations - under MO Commerce (maybe)

what % of the population are Vargr? presumably those Vargr pirates came from somewhere, do they have relatives in the 60/105 Fleets?

Regards

David

4) Jrcrocker: I am not sure where I got the idea that the cards were set in 1115. I am sure I read it somewhere, but I am not able to find it. While it is my game, I do want to get it as canony as possible, with an eye to possibly seeing if it can be adopted into the OTU.

I think Wikipedia uses a current date of 1115, but Strephon was Emperor from 1071 and still emperor in 1115

Regards

David

Wait a minute, I do know why I think it is 1115

Because my book and cards are signed by Emperor Strephon himself.
I was looking over the swag and noticed that the 25 credit coins we got, with Emperor Strephon face on them, all are dated 1115.

Sorry it is a question that has pestered the back of my mind for quite some time.

am I missing anything?
QUOTE]

MO Sports

Dept. Vargr relations - under MO Commerce (maybe)

what % of the population are Vargr? presumably those Vargr pirates came from somewhere, do they have relatives in the 60/105 Fleets?

Regards

David
MO Sports? Are we a big enough population (1 million peope) where sports would require a government ministry? Pardon but I have no idea what a Ministry of Sports does.

The Homogenity factor in the cultural extension is 9 which tells me there are not a lot of Vargr on the planet. Or rather, there are very few NON Imperial Vargrs. What Vargrs are there would be in strong agreement with the values and culture of the planet and the Imperium.

The issue is that the Coreward end of Lemish Subsector is all non-imperial Vargr. So a Dept. of Vargr Relations would be part of the Ministry of State, and probably a Subsector Duke thing than planetary issue. But they would have offices in the subsector capital, which is located on Lemish.

OF course that all changes after the Vargr attack in 1116, and then the issues goes to the Ministry of Defense.

One last thing. Travellwiki reports the UWP for Lemish in Milieu A795111-A, meaning that in year 0, there was almost nobody there.

Last edited:
Future History

Reading "Traveller 1248 Out of the Darkness" to get clues as to "what happens next" became kind of depressing, but only because of the personal issues involved. The book is a well written history of the time between the 3rd and 4th Imperiums. Part of me wants to see it as a multiyear HBO miniseries like Game of Thrones.

Spoiler Alert: However I am probably the last person here reading this for the first time.

While I have found no specific mention of Lemish, it does discuss the Corridor sector. After word arrives of Strephon's murder and the Corridor fleets were stripped to fight Dulinor, the Vargr swept rimward and overrun the systems between Deneb and Vland. Lemish is sacked.

Another source blames the planetary governor's "unwillingness to pay protection money to Vargr corsairs. In retaliation, the Vargr mustered a fleet and sacked the planet, specifically concentrating their attacks on the port and manufacturing complexes."

The vargr run free, setting up pirate kingdoms/ports, raiding shipping and generally being a nusance. In 1130, the Vampire Fleet arrives. Regina has set up a quarantine zone far spinward of Lemish, which is of no help.

Another source says : "Lemish (1808) was sacked by Vargr corsairs during the Rebellion and never fully recovered from the damage. After Virus swept over the sector in the 1130s, things did not get better. Over half the population, most of whom lived in the world’s largest city, Kudra, were slain in during orbital assaults from Vampire ships."

(The city of Novograd in the map I created has been changed to Kudra. While Franklin is the largest city in 1105, based on the Vargr raid's targeting, by 1130 not so much.)

Does Lemish get taken over by a Cym? If so, what kind of viral entity? After the initial assault, is Lemish assumed to be a scourged rock and ignored?

By 1160 Vland has eradicated Virus from their borders, and begain contacting their neighbors. The Regency begins opening up and exploring the Wilds in 1190. The two fight over the systems in Corridor until about 1208, when peace breaks out. Vland turns around and gets itself scorched by the Black Imperium. The 3 bureaux have elected a new Shadow Emperor, and the Ziru Sirka survives.

Empress wave hits in 1212, but I don't believe it does much.

The Regency sent a fleet through Corridor in 1229, but other than that Corridor seems relativitly quiet after that up to 1248 and the founding of the 4th Imperium. By relatively, the sector still appears to be haunted by Vargr Raiders and a few remaining Viral ships.

Lemish is almost in the middle of Corridor sector, half way between the Regency of Deneb, so I have doubts it would be claimed or held long by either side. Lemish could be a battleground. More likely it seems, Lemish would be bypassed and the systems of Naadi and Depot would be fought over instead.

Looking over the star charts, Lemish and Weyland form an isolated pair, away from the cluster around Naadi or Khukish, or Ginning. Probably not enough to avoid the ravages of the times, but possibly enough to mitigate the carnages.

A "honeydo" I have related to this, is to work out the stats for T-Rexes, and where they exist elsewhere in the galaxy. The Baroness desires to act as patron for an intrepid team of adventurers to go out and bring back a breeding pair of T-Rexes. The Baroness wants to ranch T-Rexes.

Which leads to the idea of the ranch fences coming down during either destruction (Vargr or Virus) and the T-Rexes roaming free over Lemish. This in turn attracting Vargr hunting parties, and hilarous hijinx (business opportunities?) ensue.

Back