• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Bridge, Ship Size, and Hull Size

Like the rest of anti-grav tech, it doesn't change inertia, it sets up a variable gravity field in the opposite direction of the perceived accel due to ship accel, i.e. it provides thrust, not inertia manipulation.

Of course it changes inertia, the clue is in the name and the description of what it does. And inertial mass = gravitic mass, if you can change one you can change the other.
Acceleration compensators are also usually installed, to negate the effects of high acceleration and lateral g forces while maneuvering.
Note that acceleration compensators are often referred to as inertial compensators.

Passive would be a neutralization of inertia.

Active would be equal countering.

On the whole, this technology is so vaguely described, it's more superstition than (pseudo)science.

I suspect, deliberately so.

You are assuming a 5000 Dt starship would use the same reaction mass as a 20 Dt small craft, which would be a bit too much of a simplification for me...
There's a reason they stopped using the flat-rate formula for large ships and small craft.

That reason is that it's preposterous at the high end.

It's kind of silly at the low end too, but it's not quite as blatant.

Edit: Hey, wait.
That's how they ended up with a weaponized exhaust rule in HG'77 that didn't scale its damage along with attacker's maneuver drive (and ship) tonnage!

Passive would be a neutralization of inertia.

Active would be equal countering.

Given the power needs for Inertial Compensators in MT, I'd guess they are active, linked to the computer to counter the effects of maneuvering inside the ships (so, if the ship applies 1G towards port, the Compensators aply 1 G towards starbord inside the ship, making the passengers feel no effect from maneuvering).

Of course it changes inertia, the clue is in the name and the description of what it does. And inertial mass = gravitic mass, if you can change one you can change the other.
If it changed inertial, you would feel no gravity = accel and when you moved you would bounce off the walls by the resulting accel. It changes neither mass nor inertia, of course.

What you feel is artificial normal gravity = accel towards the floor, which presupposes normal inertia.

It's an inertial compensator, it compensates for the inertia (induced perceived accel), it doesn't remove it.

Equal countering would mean you are pushed and pulled in different directions - could be messy :)
Yet that is what it must be. The computers controlling it better be on the ball.

Traveller tech is sometimes surprisingly primitive, and sometimes surprisingly advanced...

Last edited:
Machine learning would tell the programme which forces would need to be countered for any specific manoeuvre, at any specific thrust.

So, crash test dummy would still be an employable profession.

So what you have is the ability to produce artificial gravity and artificial inertia - inertia manipulation technology.
It doesn't change or affect inertia (= resistance to accel) in any way, it just accelerates you with the ship, in strict accordance with F=m×a. It manipulates F, not m.

Exactly in the same way as artificial gravity (=acceleration), but in another direction.

So what you have is the ability to produce artificial gravity and artificial inertia - inertia manipulation technology.

Not necessarily. We know that artificial gravity = pseudo-gravity, not actual gravity, because it produces an effect on mass that is not commensurate with gravitational charge (=mass); otherwise you would need a planetary-sized mass to produce the field. So pseudo-gravity may not be identical with inertia; it is a force-effect that acts upon mass that is not itself gravity.

1. Local amplification?

2. Speaking of which, grav plates are tiled across the spacecraft, so I assume the effect is somewhat right angle directly over each tile.

Artificial gravity = inertial compensator, it's the same thing. Inertia never changes.

I've always taken inertial compensation to be a high reaction-speed computer-controlled force-counterforce reaction keyed to engine output, not a pervasive "inertial dampening field". Otherwise you wouldn't get people jarred or thrown around by hits during combat either.

I've always taken inertial compensation to be a high reaction-speed computer-controlled force-counterforce reaction keyed to engine output, not a pervasive "inertial dampening field".
Yes, it's artificial gravity counteracting the perceived accel relative the ship, making you accel at the same rate as the ship, so you perceive no accel. Inertia is not changed or affected.

Otherwise you wouldn't get people jarred or thrown around by hits during combat either.
Make it slightly more advanced and that is removed too.

Back