• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Third Imperium Fanzine

Some good stuff here - I liked the article on "hotrodding" starships in no. 7.

Joshua,

I'm still agog at all this crunchy Traveller goodness! A thousand free internets to both yourself and Mr. Jackson!

First the wonderousness of the Stellar Reaches webzine and now this. My holiday stocking is STUFFED I tell yah! STUFFED!

Having fun,
Bill

More goodness from Nick Nova: issues #8 and #10 are up now too.

I have his scans of #11, I just need to do the grunt-work of processing it.

This is great! Now I have something to do besides lurk in the bushes by our mailbox waiting for the CT CD-ROM to arrive.

(And just in time, too. The forecast is for rain tonight. Brrr.)

Thanks to everyone involved for making these available.

Joshua,

You aren't wearing a Santa Claus hat by any chance, are you?

My holiday stocking is stuffed, STUFFED I tells yah!

Having fun,
Bill

Originally posted by Joshua Bell:
... and #11 is up. "w00t!", as the kids say.

Just missing 6 and 9 now. Anyone with those and a scanner handy?
paragraph.gif
Youdda Man! as they say in the Rim. The oblique view of a typical LSP Air/Raft in #10 is a must-have!
omega.gif

:cool:

I'd never seen these before. Absolutely chock full of imaginative goodness. Brilliant look and feel. It's so.... Traveller.

When I read fanzines like this I almost wish we were still in the pre-computer publishing age.

Ravs

Originally posted by ravs:

When I read fanzines like this I almost wish we were still in the pre-computer publishing age.
paragraph.gif
It was still computer publishing. Just pre-inkjet/laser printer. Good ol' daisy wheel & dot matrix, gotta love 'em... not!
omega.gif

This the classic example of the Internet done right. When we were playing Traveller before the World Wide Web and none us knew about ARPNet we all imagined a single datastream where everything was aviable for free from a public access terminal.

Originally posted by kafka47:
This the classic example of the Internet done right. When we were playing Traveller before the World Wide Web and none us knew about ARPNet we all imagined a single datastream where everything was available for free from a public access terminal.
I am going to give in to temptation and post something out of character, here. (I apologize if this in an inappropriate spot for this.) With a plot seemingly torn right from the pages of dystopian sf, citizens of the United States recently came perilously close to having their freedom of access to the internet severely restricted, with most of them (as usual) caught totally at unawares. Senator Ted Stevens' execrable bill (HR 5252, which would have given the Telcos sweeping powers to control the internet in America) was soundly defeated, but the fact that it even came to the floor of Congress for serious debate shows how powerful the Big Telco lobby is and how desperate they are to control what content you and I can access. An excellent video called Humanity Lobotomy sums up the situation rather well. Here is Jello Biafra's take on the situation. (The videos were made prior to the vote which sent this particular bill down in flames.) The danger, fellow Citizens, is that there really are no safegauards in place to prevent this from happening again (and again).

"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty—power is ever stealing from the many to the few…. The hand entrusted with power becomes … the necessary enemy of the people. Only by continual oversight can the democrat in office" (note lack of capitalization) "be prevented from hardening into a despot: only by unintermitted Agitation can a people be kept sufficiently awake to principle not to let liberty be smothered in material prosperity."
— Wendell Phillips (1852)

:eek: I strongly urge those individuals unaware of this issue to find out more at SAVE THE INTERNET.COM .

The future of CotI and other commercial and non-commercial internet forums, blogs, etc. is directly at stake.

[steps down from soapbox]

Not a bad seed for a Traveller adventure, either.

Gents,

Been reading and re-reading these goodies. Anyone had a chance to scope out Personalities of the Rebellion in Issue #7 yet? We get pictures, stats, and brief bios of the major players. What is so intriguing is that we get both a very different picture of some of the old leaders, entirely new leaders, and several missing leaders!

Dulinor, Lucan, and Norris are statted out with somewhat different stats and skills than would later appear 'officially'. While Dulinor looks like Dulinor and Lucan looks like Lucan-ish, Norris is a complete stranger. Their bios, especially Norris', are different too. Lucan, labeled 'The Pretender', is described as merely weak and headstrong and not the psycotic presented later in MT. Dulinor's bio is almost sympathetic. Norris' bio has him actively trying to clear Corridor and link his Domain with Imperium again, something MT says he chose not to vigorously persue.

The new faces include Archduke Lithinian of Daibei; not Duke Craig, and Regent Kaarishuu of Antares; not Archduke Brzk. The new Vilani Shadow Emperor is someone we've never heard of and the Archduke of Sol is entirely absent. The pocket of resistence around the Vegan Autonomous Region is being led by a junta or sorts made up of naval officers, planetary leaders, and Vegans.

Missing along with Craig and Brzk is Margaret, whose non-appearence leaves a power vacuum in Delphi/Old Expanses, and Tranian, whose support put Lucan on the Iridium Throne.

Adding to the mix is the 'Real' Strephon, dismissed, as always before the late MT retcon, as a fake. The article also cryptically and wonderfully refers to thirteen other smaller factions, none with more than 200 ships apiece.

I am loving reading this stuff!

Have fun,
Bill

Originally posted by ravs:
I'd never seen these before. Absolutely chock full of imaginative goodness. Brilliant look and feel. It's so.... Traveller.

Ravs
Ravs,

This fanzine is the biggest motivation behind the production of Stellar Reaches. This is what I want SR to be like. Interested contributors may find inspiration from the pages of this wonderful fanzine.

With Regards,
Flynn

Done! Issues 1-11 are up at:

Third Imperium Fanzine

A fellow Traveller fan was kind enough to lend me his copies of issues #6 and #9 to round out the project. I've scanned them and added them to the site. I've also reorganized the page now that it's more done-ish. Now maybe I'll have time to *read* them!

Enjoy, everyone!

Back