• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller 2013 Calendar

okay
I guess I was thinking in terms of working in engineering spaces where millions of volt-amps are routinely switched.

Agreed.
Skylab astronauts did not tether their tools. Any tool that got lost could generally be found at the nearest air intake vent, aka the "Lost and Found department"

sheesh

This is the sort of thing I'd worry about with FOD and maintenance.
http://www.powertransformersblog.com/2011/02/transformer-manhole-and-the-25000-washer/

That is an example of why the first thing I saw as a technician was "FOD Hazard"

If your engineer comes out after fixing high power gear and mutter's. "Gee..I coulda swore I had 10 washers instead of nine...", I wouldn't turn anything on until the tenth one is found.

Remember, 50MVa is small potatoes to Traveller ships.

being a vet of the air force in my first stint, I got that. We may assume shes competent, yes?

Why is it most people, especially gearheads, think artists don't have a clue or do their research? Service aside, i have a reason why I depict things the way I do, and this is the sort of attitude that tends to piss off thoughtful artists - the assumption by some in the fanbase that we must be morons - very much as is being implied here.

Its this kind of back and forth that inevitably prompts the responses that if you can do it better, why, then please by all means do so.This isn't even a justifiable critique, just pointless gearhead picking of nits.

If my tenor seems to indicate my irritation, you'd be correct, or do I really have to point out Ive been playing and illustrating and writing for Traveller for something like thirty odd years and do indeed realize just what power goes into a vessel, and really, WHY is it that big a deal to you? Is it such an issue that after a perfectly reasonable explanation of why I depicted the pic the way I did you still feel the need to point out the obvious?

Sorry if this is heated, but I've achieved my critical mass for patience and its because of this sort of bullshit why I haven't made any effort to interact with the fanbase for almost a decade.

I merely gave my gut reaction opinion to the picture.
I then had to explain to responders why I had that reaction; they had completely misconstrued my reasoning.

If that's too much for your patience, then I'm sorry, but that's what I first saw when I looked at the picture.

if that's the case, then fair nuff. But that's how it came across.

the text medium is imperfect at best, but having had to contend with such things before I won't say I'm altogether unjustified in my response. If I misconstrued, you have my apologies.

If your engineer comes out after fixing high power gear and mutter's. "Gee..I coulda swore I had 10 washers instead of nine...", I wouldn't turn anything on until the tenth one is found.

I had a co-worker lose a screw (1 of 8). It drove me nuts looking for it. I didn't want to turn anything back on.

this is a common misconception -crew on the space station don't typically use tethers " indoors" for the same reason Sushi doesn't - they soon entangle the user. On an EVA, of course, its a different matter, and tools are always dummy corded to the astronaut, but when inside the " fod hazard" is less a matter of hazard and more an annoyance - its been commented by astronauts its actually rather handy to keep tools at hand this way.

unlike tools used in a vacuum environment, tools inside the station ( and I imagine spacecraft) are simply standard off the shelf but high quality tools.After all, its still just an earth environment.

This wasn't speculation on my part but was informed by the expedient of simply asking an astronaut.

You probably asked the wrong one - the tools used indoors are NOT all just normal ones. Driving screws inside as all the same issues as outside except suit resistance. Almost all NASA tools are equipped with velcro, as a minimum, and small fasteners are usually worked inside capture bubbles or are on captive mountings already. NASA has repeatedly talked about this.

The NASA footage also shows only one or two items per person left adrift during any on-board work - everything else is tethered - not always to the astronaut, but always tied to something or velcroed to something.

d5iztfp
derelictplanetcolor2firstmerge1.jpg

Skyscape of the work in progress for the calendar submission....

Last edited:
Ohhhh, that's looks stunning just as it is. It's going to be stunning to the tenth power when you are finished.

you probably asked the wrong one - the tools used indoors are NOT all just normal ones. Driving screws inside as all the same issues as outside except suit resistance. Almost all NASA tools are equipped with velcro, as a minimum, and small fasteners are usually worked inside capture bubbles or are on captive mountings already. NASA has repeatedly talked about this.

The NASA footage also shows only one or two items per person left adrift during any on-board work - everything else is tethered - not always to the astronaut, but always tied to something or velcroed to something.

well, I certainly stand corrected, since apparently the astronaut I talked to didn't know any better. I took his qualifications at face value and may have been mistaken by the fact he was working for NASA at the time. < shrugs> All I can say is BOY was there a really excessive amount of chopbusting over - really? tethering?? - and if its technically inaccurate, well, i can live with that.

I did my due diligence in asking qualled people in an attempt at accuracy, and all things being equal I give up defending my work at this point.

You guys win.

Man, Bryan, the crashed Marava image is really stunning! As for the disagreement over zero gee tools, I think you should tell the story visually as dramatically as possible. Would a starship engineer, 5000 years from now, faced with making emergency repairs in a ship whose grav plates have failed take the time to pull her zero gee toolkit out of a locker and properly attach all the tethers? I doubt it. To me, it adds to the urgency of the scene. In a perfect world maybe she WOULD strap everything together. But Traveller does not claim to be a perfect world!

Last edited:
well, I certainly stand corrected, since apparently the astronaut I talked to didn't know any better. I took his qualifications at face value and may have been mistaken by the fact he was working for NASA at the time. < shrugs> All I can say is BOY was there a really excessive amount of chopbusting over - really? tethering?? - and if its technically inaccurate, well, i can live with that.

I did my due diligence in asking qualled people in an attempt at accuracy, and all things being equal I give up defending my work at this point.

You guys win.

Byran,

Please don't bother defending your work. It's wonderful.

People get on a topic and it ceases to be about your work, but about the discussion itself.

You guys win.

Don't listen to them, your work is excellent, 1000% better than I could I do, they don't know anything, I do, I probably have Mech-3 and am qualified to work on such equipment, maybe the only one. You want to know how I know? Nobody here mentioned either eye protection or disposable gloves, which would be the first thing I notice as a supervisor, so there you know.

Don't change a thing, it is awesome, I would love to see her with some color, that would be really cool.

People here can be socially inept, I'm sorry about that. :eek:

Back