• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What Was The Catastrophic Event That Caused The EW?

I ignore it since it too fuzzy, and too much of a Deus Ex Machina for me to suspend my disbelief.

Utterly non-canon:

It's a side-effect of something similar in scope to the space-time alteration Grandfather did to make Jump Drive possible, but for a different form of FTL drive -- possibly psionics-based.

Whether the entity or civilization that caused it still exists is left to the referee. Maybe it destroyed them...
“space-time alteration Grandfather did to make Jump Drive”
What? Where is this detailed???

No, nothing at all like that.

The Empress Wave was not intended to break the setting, it was intended to add to the setting and give PCs more options.

The Empress Wave was not intended to break the setting, it was intended to add to the setting and give PCs more options.

IMHO, to do this the Zhodani should be spared (as I told, to give you an example) ,even if they spend some time in turmoil before being someone to be reckoned with.

Destroying the Consulate, again IMHO, really destroys the setting, at least for the Spinwars Marches, not only gives more options to players, at least as much as the Rebellion destroyed it by breacking the Imperium to pieces.

YMMV, of course...

Last edited:
The consulate as was may have collapsed due to the social changes brought about by the wave passing through Zhodani space, but that doesn't mean that another state could not have formed in the wake of the exodus of Zhodan in 1201. The number of refugees in interesting - 30 billion out of a total Consulate population of 8 trillion.

The vast majority are still in the consulate...

~1040 - wave enters the consulate
1119 - signs of conflict (wave about half way through)
1149 - eighth core expedition (government still intact enough to organise this)
1201 - Zhodani exodus of 30 billion (refugees have not witnessed violence, they have just had premonitions of conflict)
1205 - wave will hit The Regency

We've talked a lot about jumping over the EW as it passes, but what about sleeping through the event. Does being in a low berth cause a sentient mind to be immune or even lessen the effects of the EW?

Cold sleep - up to the referee but personally I would have those in cold berth affected. Consistency with your own interpretation of psionics is the important thing here, if you allow psionics to affect those on cold sleep then the wave should too, if not then it doesn't.

Hiding away inside a stasis globe would likely protect you.

Cold sleep - up to the referee but personally I would have those in cold berth affected. Consistency with your own interpretation of psionics is the important thing here, if you allow psionics to affect those on cold sleep then the wave should too, if not then it doesn't.

Hiding away inside a stasis globe would likely protect you.
Cold sleep *is* stasis. We had this discussion before. Maybe even in this topic. Cold sleep puts you in stasis.

The original point of the EW was, from everything I have read, twofold:
1) Stomp the Zhos flat so they don't become the 800 lb gorilla while everyone else is still picking up the pieces. Basically, the EW is the Zhos' version of the Virus.

2) Provide a way to change the game on psionics to make it much more prevalent. This way, instead off mostly being ignored, it becomes a more intrinsic part of the setting.

That Marc has tossed all of that and is repurposing it to stomp EVERYTHING even flatter than flat, right after the previous disasters is disappointing.

Don McKinney, at the direction of Marc, reconed/overwrote the Wave to be an FTL phenomena, and had that established by publishing it in the Mongoose Zhodani book. So, according to canon, the TNE and 1248 books are now incorrect in their placement of the wave. I know Joshua updated the Traveller Map location to match the FTL changes for the wave.
Since I am a Marc sez guy, so be it. Bye bye 1248 Spinward States 😭, I loved you...

But The Gods of Thunder still can go cyber in the 1180s. :devilish: MWUA HA HA HA!
FOR THE HERD!🐴

Cold sleep *is* stasis. We had this discussion before. Maybe even in this topic. Cold sleep puts you in stasis.
No. (I don't recall the discussion or ever agreeing that cold sleep is stasis).
Stasis globes are very different to cold sleep.

The original point of the EW was, from everything I have read, twofold:
1) Stomp the Zhos flat so they don't become the 800 lb gorilla while everyone else is still picking up the pieces. Basically, the EW is the Zhos' version of the Virus.

2) Provide a way to change the game on psionics to make it much more prevalent. This way, instead off mostly being ignored, it becomes a more intrinsic part of the setting.

That Marc has tossed all of that and is repurposing it to stomp EVERYTHING even flatter than flat, right after the previous disasters is disappointing.
1. From everything canonical I have read I would say you are wrong on this point, the wave was never about doing unto the Zhodani as was done unto the Imperium. There is a mystery as to what is behind the wave in the Consulate,
The Zhodani were never a threat to the Regency, it even says as much in MT canon. The Frontier wars were always about curtailing Imperial expansion.
The wave has been in Zhodani space since 1040, first armed conflicts in 1119, a core expedition in 1149, it is not until the wave has nearly covered the whole of the Consulate that the small percentage chooses to flee.
2. Already achieved with the Regency promoting psionics, legalising the psionic institutes and building more of them.

If Marc is bound by canon as he says then there is still time to retcon the retcon so that TNE and 1248 are still possible - because as things stand at the moment neither one is. maybe things would be different if the "inner circle" had someone in it who likes TNE.

It's likely a moot point anyway since it is very unlikely any new setting material will ever be produced officially (despite the kickstarter for T5 promising the Galaxiad), with the possible exception of a new novel or two. I don't consider MgT Third Imperium products as OTU, there are too many differences (I do consider them to be an excellent range of products these days).

Last edited:
Since I am a Marc sez guy, so be it. Bye bye 1248 Spinward States 😭, I loved you...

But The Gods of Thunder still can go cyber in the 1180s. :devilish: MWUA HA HA HA!
FOR THE HERD!🐴
Normally I would agree
but
I don't think Marc or the "Inner Circle":
a - know anything about the original authors' intent behind the TNE meta plots (Hivers, Guilded Lilly Trilogy, Black Curtain, Empress Wave).
b - like the setting

Marc is on record as being bound by canon - that should include TNE

Back