• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Forbidden Science of the Second Imperium

Heh... just discovered this thread. :)
anyone ever run a haunted spaceship? or are we just too sci-fi to do that?
I did once. Sort of.

The crew in my campaign had destroyed a Vargr corsair ship, and captured a couple of survivors. They shoved those survivors into low berths, and Jumped to the next system, where they planned on handing them over to the Navy.

During the week in Jump, the computer started to misbehave (sounding alarms for no good reason, turning up the heating, arming weapons, reporting potential collisions and/or incoming missiles... ) and some of the crew started seeing a shadowy figure moving about the ship (only it was never there when they looked straight at it).

Passengers began experiencing severe nightmares.

The Jump was definitely bizarre, and towards the end of the week, the crew were starting to worry that it was a misJump, and they were all going to die. Especially when the computer started ranting about how it was going to kill them all, as a punishment for sending it to Hell.

The explanation was "simple" in the end...

One of the low berths was faulty, and was actually running at a lower than usual temperature, causing the neurons in the Vargr prisoner's brain to act as superconductors. He was aware of being very cold, unable to move, and inside what seemed like a coffin.

He concluded that he was dead, and in his own religion's version of Hell. So his mind turned to thoughts of revenge on those who had killed him...

This wouldn't have been so bad, but one of the passengers, a teenage girl, was psionic, with the Special talent. Every time she slept, she was picking up the Vargr's thoughts, and broadcasting them to everybody on the ship, including the computer (her Special talent involved machine empathy).

Instant haunted starship. :)

Wow! This thread is a gold mine.

Here's the (half-baked) core of an adventure idea I was toying with:

• a somewhat isolated system uninhabited since the time of 2nd imperium
  • a mega-corp decides that the system has potential as part of a shortcut jump route, and starts investing in a starport there
  • one planet show signs that it was highly populated and industrialized, but was bombarded from orbit, radiation and nuclear winter having long since wiped out the population
  • a 2nd imperium dreadnought is found dead and drifting in space. The limited/corrupted records on board indicate that it was responsible for destroying the original starport and bombarding the planet, but the reasons why are lost
  • it also looks like it was planning to jump back to civilization but never made it
  • the players jump in (on their way somewhere else) and find that no one responds to comms. They need to refuel to get out of the system, but the only fuel to be had is at the ominously silent starport...

I was picturing the big bad as being some sort of bio-weapon, sort of a blend between the creatures in Aliens and The Thing, but the talk of atomic mutant cyber-zombies has gotten me thinking...

Just two more quick thoughts.

Maybe an offshoot/weird branch of the Imperial Scout Service would be a suitable patron for parties interested in this kind of adventuring. I'm thinking the scout service because: 1) this is exploration of a kind, 2) they probably do have access to all sorts of historical documents and have a killer archive, 3) It's a paramilitary force that reports to the Imperal governing apparatus. I could see an Emperor feel a bit more comfortable trusting the scout service than Naval intelligence.

What you're describing sounds a lot like the Nazi-era Ahnenerbe (sp?). They went around the world investigating a lot of (crackpot) theories and rumors connected with Atlantis, secret centers of "life energy,: etc. There was also a similar CIA project in the 60's - believe it or not I think it was called Project Stargate - that investigated ESP, psychics, and the like, for no other reason than "the Soviets are doing it so we have to."

In an adventure this group could uncover something real, or it could all be a futile quest to validate some noble's crackpot theories - in which case the PCs might have to fabricate evidence, etc. to earn their paycheck, and hope they aren't discovered.

There is no Illuminati!

Dear Gentlebeings:

We would like to publicly state that if there were an Imperial Illuminati secretly manipulating the Moot, surely we would be doing a better job covering it than you imply we..uh...don't.

Second, it is not an elixir created out of clones, one uses clones and brain-taping in place of anagathics. Really contrary to what you have heard there is very little degradation of the Initial Personality over the Millennium. As well it turns out to be more cost effective in the end. Plus with geneering of new beneficial genetic material succeeding models are decanted with even greater abilities. In addition it allows the Individual to create a 'child' in full view of the world and transfer assets as well as memories.
*reminisces* (Ah, Cleon II, good lad that one.)

Third, they are not, repeat not, mutant cyborg zombies. Mutation implies a random factor, and we all know from the IISS Heritage Division Archives, as well as IMI Q Collections, and even a few INI Zed files, these creatures (one hesitates to call them humans after what was done to them, Bless their Famili Lines) were in fact designed and created according to Project Novamani, Directive 6X to be the finest fighting humanoid in the galaxy!

Now, I'm afraid I have to write a quick note to D_____. I hear he has some cute aspirations and will most likely need to be dealt with....unless the other side has use of him.

I'm wondering if this topic could be combined with a Milieu-Zero background into a PBP campaign where a secret-bureau/whatever setup by the Emperor goes about and tries to "re-capture the old glories of the past Imperium" ?

Might be fun to offset this against the AAB (also mentioned prominently in Milieu-Zero) and the usual treasure-hunters.

Sort of a Weird-Science/X-Files type of Traveller setting...:eek:o:

>

Hey!

I'm wondering if this topic could be combined with a Milieu-Zero background into a PBP campaign where a secret-bureau/whatever setup by the Emperor goes about and tries to "re-capture the old glories of the past Imperium" ?

Might be fun to offset this against the AAB (also mentioned prominently in Milieu-Zero) and the usual treasure-hunters.

Sort of a Weird-Science/X-Files type of Traveller setting...:eek:o:
>

DANGNABBIT, GADRIN! Quit peeking behind My Referee Screen, Sir! I don't peek behind Yours. OK, I try, but you get back to the computer before I can Sync the Temporal- Spatial Targeting Sytem....grrr. :p

BTW, yes I would run this, if there were Interest..*grins* Gots me all sorts of Plans within Plans within Plans, Millenniums of Them....

And are you so sure that the Emperor isn't assisting the AAB? :eek:mega:

No I'd alter the "official tint" of canon, and make things maybe a bit more competitive between the new Sylean based 3rd Imperium (Solomani-roots) and the Vilani staid, purists.

The idea would be a game still recognizable as Traveller, but with a bit more bells and whistles -- but not outright space fantasy.

I'd probably do it around the Milieu-Zero setting as "the race for technology" would help establish the New Imperium (and the Emperor).

Wrote about 70 lines today as a broad outline and I'm in the process of researching M-Zero subsector conversions (over on Freelance Traveller) and the general technology available in the Imperium during the setting. Looks like TTL-13, jump-3 and no X-boat system.

Set during Milieu-Zero

Basic Idea is that the Emperor will bankroll a special bureau/group whatever to find and retrieve Forbidden Scientific items from the 2nd Imperium, "for the aggrandizement and notoriety of the new 3rd Imperium" -- in short a treasure hunt.

The idea is to basically offset the Vilani's AAB for goods and technologies that those "conservative dinosaurs" are hoarding (a slight twist of the original intent of the AAB, for game purpose's sake) goods and patents to their Vilani brethren.

Right now it's just fun/interesting, not sure I can pull it off.

>

The idea is to basically offset the Vilani's AAB for goods and technologies that those "conservative dinosaurs" are hoarding (a slight twist of the original intent of the AAB, for game purpose's sake) goods and patents to their Vilani brethren.

Right now it's just fun/interesting, not sure I can pull it off.

>

:eek:mega: We here at the Argushiigi Admegulasha Bilanidin, or as you Solomani would say the "Vilani Repository of All Knowledge", *snorts and mutters under breath: bloody usurping barbarians :looks up* As I was saying We of the AAB have no qualms with this Cleon, he is after all of Good Vilani Stock, He Understands Why Some Technologies Were Forbidden in the Ziru Sirka and that bloody Ramshackle Empire was only won because the Solomani used such Technologies and now look where Things Stand...Hummmppphhh.

Senior Archivist and Researcher,
Professor Magnus von Thornwood IV, Esq.
Argushiigi Admegulasha Bilanidin
Vland.
:eek:mega:

PS: How many of those Sleeper Ships did you people send anyway?

Last edited:
I think you're thinking of the Lentulis, Magnus.

The Zhunastus were of fairly solid Solomani stock, as I understand. Cleon only lived to 110, for instance; which, while remarkable by Terran standards, would be considered a tragically young death to a Vilani.

The Lentuli Dynasty, on the other hand, was nearly pure-blooded Vilani from the start. Ol' Artemsus made it to 183 before kicking the iridium bucket, and his grandson Martin II managed to achieve 191 before doing the same.

I am afraid not sir.

It is after all a common enough flaw of Solomani to want to claim HIM Cleon the First Emperor of the Third Grand Empire of the Stars, but do really think a Major Branch of Humaniti went Un-Surveyed that close to the Ziru Sirka? Tsk, tsk.

Though it does pain me to confess after searching the data banks you are mostly correct, mostly. Just as Cleon I was mostly Solomani....mostly.

Senior Archivist and Researcher,
Professor Magnus von Thornwood IV, Esq.
Argushiigi Admegulasha Bilanidin
Vland.

Last edited:
It is after all a common enough flaw of Solomani to want to claim HIM Cleon the First Emperor of the Third Grand Empire of the Stars,

Well, my idea (divert from canon here) is that Cleon would "embrace his Solomani roots" just so I can put a little competition between the Artifact Hunters of the 3I and the AAB.

That's all. So in actuality the truth of Traveller becomes irrelevant or twisted.

My hope is that'll lead to a more interesting game scenario.

>

On the AI meme, how about Piper's Cosmic Computer, ya know the buried mythical HQ of the 10th Fleet and its alledged war winning AI? Never heard of the the story? Well, old man Piper wrote the story down as he heard it, its on the shelf over there, feel free.

Just think of the possibilities if one of the Ancients close, personal, Human assistants was stored away in a statis tube somewhere.......

I personally subscribe to the many different forerunners theory of the Ancients.

I know Mark Hirsh is known around here but I still like some of the elements of the story he is playing out here.
http://www.cambrianmoons.com/index.htm

pushing the envelope

:D I was using elements like Terminator, Rift and Firefly's reavers in my TNE campaign. It makes for the best fun if players realize that the universe is infinite in terror. And if MT and TNE are anything it would be full of terror.

My last introductions we're stargates left by the ancients dropping players into aweful worlds off the Imperium scope. An ancient world lying in ruin and the Brinn.:devil: Don't forget them, a crab/spider like race with pure resentment for humanoids after ages of opression.

Last edited:
:D I was using elements like terminator and Firefly's reavers in my TNE campaign. It makes for the best fun if players realize that the universe is infinite in terror. And if MT and TNE are anything it would be full of terror.

My last introductions we're stargates left by the ancients dropping players into aweful worlds off the Imperium scope. An ancient world lying in ruin and the Brinn.:devil: Don't forget them, a crab/spider like race with pure resentment for humanoids after ages of opression.

Hmmm I noticed your website has an entry for
Replicants and Clones
under character generation, not an option or wishful thinking ?

>

Replicants and Clones

Posted by Gadrin
[FONT=arial,helvetica]Hmmm I noticed your website has an entry for
Replicants and Clones
under character generation, not an option or wishful thinking ?
[/FONT]
Not under character generation, yet. Always run with an NPC version first. Unfortunately, it was never fully explored hence no link. I made it a habit of borrowing interesting scenarios from modern media. Numerous scenario's I had in mind;
1. put the players on a world where the dictator comes back for more after they kill him...2..3..4. Each with degrading clone issues.
2. put the players against genetically engineered humanti. What if Khan had tamed seti alpha?

If Khan tamed Seti Alpha 5/6 you would have the Sauron Supermen from the CoDominion universe; super soldiers with the ego and ambition to match their taste for destruction. This could be one hell of an adventure in itself, being the first FTL ship to arrive in a system already under the boot of Khan's great-grandchildren; their only thought being to take the ship and copy its drive so they can move outward, conquering everything in their path. Sort of like the Moties!

You'd have to have one hell of an army to stop them; maybe that's where the AI commanded cyber-zombies come in. To beat the best Humaniti can put up would require something exceptional. And maybe that's where the Rule of Man really screwed up; throwing a battle computer and cyber army at a genetically superior foe, not realizing the ultimate price they would pay. The result could be all kinds of nasty Ogres/Bolos, Universal Soldiers, and Terminators just waiting to be discovered under the dust and debris.

Just a thought ...

Last edited:
Back