• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Invading Star Systems/Defending Them

Actually we did this in a session. The fleet engaged the defending fleet. Drawing some away from the planet. Sent in scared merchants that dropped our Legionaires, in military drop capsules, across the northern flank of the key starport.

The assault needs to be timed just before dropping the troops (actually they should be inbound from a different direction before the first shot). Question is when do you go back for them and when do you give them additional support. The answer a few hours. If they cannot damage the infrastructure quickly then there is trouble. We left them for 24 hours (per there request) and it cost us a decisive victory over the docile fleet.

Oh yes. Why didn't they shoot at the drop capsules, easy answer, they did. But the capital ships had a choice between capsules heading towards the surface and incomming nuke/conv missiles. Also, the merchant ships were heavily armoured enough to provide armour support if they made it to the surface.

Savage

One more thing. A fussion engine over a city block, field or mobile troops at high-Gs can cause considerable damage. Depends on the interpretation of the ref in defining the operation of the manuever drive.

Our support assault consisted of additional drop troops and fast pursuit ships (extra hvy fighters).
The ships provided air support for ground forces through onboard weapons and tactical use of their manuever drives within the atmosphere.

Savage

There is another reason why someone might choose an invasion. Frankly, troops are cheaper than ships. To risk ships in a slugging match with planet defenses, means risking the possibility that those ships will not be available for space superiority battles later.The chances of losing enough men to effect a campaign is less.
A blockade might not be viable, simply because the ships on blockade might be wanted elsewhere.
An invasion could be done by "infiltration": there's a whole planet to land on and it can't all be covered. There's no need to assume that the attacking fleet has to blast away all the defenses.
There are other options. The attackers might capture a small moon and plant firebases or fighter bases on it. This can be used to support a landing or a blockade.
By the way it is assumed that it will be either attack or defense. How about both? The attackers can dig a foothold, than the fleet can be driven off leaving the invaders under siege-and so on through as many permutations as the PCs can stand

Originally posted by jatay3:
There is another reason why someone might choose an invasion. Frankly, troops are cheaper than ships.
For the defender, yes. For the attacker, troops are expensive to move, and if you can get troops to the ground, you can get massive missile barrages to the ground as well, and you can just reduce the planet from afar.

Originally posted by Jame:
Okay, NOW I remember what I was gonna say.

In the Star Wars novels, the X-Wing novels by Michael Stackpole had Rogue Squadron infiltrate and help conquer Coruscant. Granted, they had help, and they found out that their enemy's leader actually _wanted_ them to have it, but it gave me an idea. Couldn't you insert small teams of infiltrators and commandoes to knock out defenses and keep them out of commision long enough for a couple of divisions to land and make a beachhead, as well as cause disruption and havoc long enough for those troops to hold off the defending troops?

Also, I don't remember if anyone mentioned this before (and don't feel like going and checking), but I think that relative tech level would make a difference (e.g. a tl15 interstellar government knocking on a world in a tl10 pocket empire). Thoughts?
Someone else mentioned covert operations way back up the topic.

If it were going to be done right on a world where you would need to do it, a heavily defended world (most others would have only a few batteries and bays, enough to fend off a pirate cruiser, but not any real fleet; and many would not have even that), you would use major intelligence assests to identify and compromise the on-world elements necessary to establishing a covert shipping channel onto the planet. You'd smuggle your weapons in through that, and your troops in any way you could.

Neither solution will work on a Depot system, though. It is far more tightly controlled at the starport and in orbit than normal worlds (even heavily defended ones).

TL would definitely make a big difference, however, my discussions were really about two of the major races slugging it out. Therefore, TL-15 vs. TL-15, fleet vs. planet (originally High Guard only, but a big fractional-c weaponry discussion was brought in).

So you're talking about a major war, RainofSteel. Or at least of equivalent tls.

Now, if you're going to the trouble of invading, don't you want the planet relatively intact and usable?

Each scenario is different.
In the scenario I described the assaulted world was TL14 but had the largest passive navy fleet (they were planning on entering the war but a severe pacificist movement slowed the military). They hadn't successfully developed meson tech. We specifically targeted the military in an effort to create sympathy. Their military targeted everything and in the end attempted scorched earth on this world.
So missile barrages against planetary civilian assets can cause other ramifications. Whatever is done there needs to be more than one front. Missiles can be pecked away at, ships can sacrifice themselves or put asteroid between themselves and inbound objects (with enough notice).
Attacks that cut off supply chains can damage the foreign economy. It does take effort to prepare for an incomming attack (aka pearl harbor). If they haven't been attacked before they might just not be ready.

Attacking a depot. I don't buy the 100-2000 meson gun placement theory. Too expensive even for a depot. Maybe 50-100. So, what do you always to when attacking a well protected target. Aim for command and control.

Savage

A couple thoughts I had while reading this MASSIVE post:

1) Getting something up to a fraction of light is not easy. Sure, there's the requisite month or twenty of time to get something going that fast, but what are the obstacles, really?

1a) Fuel. By far and away, this is the most major obstacle. Any reaction drive cannot carry enough fuel to reach .7c, not even a fusion rocket. You're thinking Bussard Ramjet now, aren't you? Unfortunately for the real world, it looks like this theory isn't going to hold water. The desnity of free hydrogen in our area, for instance, is less than the nominal 1 hydrogen atom per cubic cm thought to be necessary. The magnetic fields required are beyond anything that we know of that can make something large enough (and it's got to be a lot larger, since there's less hydrogen). But to top it off, hydrogen is electrically NEUTRAL, so how are you going to gather it?

1b) Maybe you think you can overcome the fuel thing by using Thruster Plates or something. I for one can see these things having a top-speed, and it's not likely to be a really high one either. But maybe this can be done anyway IYTU.

1c) Hellish radiation and Space dust. Robots may get around the radiation problem, but maybe you're just going to screw up your electronic components faster than normal. Your chances to hit some little fleck of space garbage, after 100,000 years of sentient industrialization, are not as tiny as we might like them to be either. Shielding against that kind of stuff is not going to be light, requiring MORE fuel to overcome it.

2) There is no Offense which is incapable of being stopped, given enough time and resources. There is no Defense which cannot be cracked, given enough time and resources. Of course, doing all this WITHOUT killing everyone you're trying to capture/defend is the trouble, isn't it?

3) You don't build defenses for centuries, even on the front lines. If you did, Europe would be 20 feet deep in castles and walls and fortresses. Those things cost money to build and maintain, and you also have to replace them with new and improved stuff. You don't leave the old stuff there. It's not like it's going to be effective. How much damage does a cannon do in comparison to a 16" gun?

And if static defenses are so great, why aren't all countries today doing their utmost to reinforce every square km of land they have? I can't tell you how annoying it is to have to see all those fortifications all around Chicago, protecting us from those evil Canadians who are plotting their invasion as we speak.

Yeah, that's right, you don't put up a lot of stuff in your rear areas. You put it in your forward areas, where you expect the enemy to be. You might make it deep, like several parsecs in from a rough border, but deeper than that is going to be pretty soft. Where's the benefit of spending obscene amounts of money protecting something that isn't going to be attacked? Anti-piracy is one thing, but that's why we hve equivalent of police forces. Georgia doesn't worry about South Carolina invading it.

The heavy defenses are going to be about 10 deep-sites, maybe 20. Subs are good anti-spacecraft platforms, as are fighters and missiles. Subs stay hidden until the ground troops start raining, and then they make it hard on them.

Superheavy defenses, like at depots... Don't they have a whole solar system chock full of battleships and stuff? Mobile stuff is better anyway, because if you're losing the battle, you can take it with you and still use it.

So there are no 3000 year old deep-meson sites still in operation. I doubt there's even a wall or an enemy that old.

4) There is no 4. It's all in your mind.

Originally posted by TheDS:
A couple thoughts I had while reading this MASSIVE post:

1) Getting something up to a fraction of light is not easy. Sure, there's the requisite month or twenty of time to get something going that fast, but what are the obstacles, really?

1a) Fuel. By far and away, this is the most major obstacle. Any reaction drive cannot carry enough fuel to reach .7c, not even a fusion rocket. You're thinking Bussard Ramjet now, aren't you? Unfortunately for the real world, it looks like this theory isn't going to hold water. The density of free hydrogen in our area, for instance, is less than the nominal 1 hydrogen atom per cubic cm thought to be necessary. The magnetic fields required are beyond anything that we know of that can make something large enough (and it's got to be a lot larger, since there's less hydrogen). But to top it off, hydrogen is electrically NEUTRAL, so how are you going to gather it?
Bussard Ramjets are an old idea, which once was thought to be practical, but which are now largely acknowledged as being unworkable because there is no way practical to generate a large enough magnetic field (that we know of) to scoop up enough interstellar hydrogen to do the job.

As for there being insufficient fuel aboard ship, I believe the ISK vessel proposal made further up-thread describes all it needs, both drives and fuel, to reach the appropriate velocity.

.7c may be a very high velocity, and interstellar dust/microscopic-particles may be a problem (as I found while researching theories of high-c travel as estimated/envisioned by heavy-hitter futurists), but that .7c might not be fast enough to cause particles to damage the OTU "bonded superdense" armor available at high TLs (not knowing what this armor can do, it's hard to make statements related to it). Now, at .9c or most definitely .99c, microscopic-particle (even as small as individual molecules when reaching .99c or higher; as energy really starts to climb as more 9s are added past the decimal point) impacts would begin to be each as serious as large nuclear weapons. But not, apparently, at .7c, which is why I never really raised that issue.

1b) Maybe you think you can overcome the fuel thing by using Thruster Plates or something. I for one can see these things having a top-speed, and it's not likely to be a really high one either. But maybe this can be done anyway IYTU.
Yes, the ISK vessel ran on Thruster Plates. It worked out quite nicely, I believe. The forward thrust generated by the Thruster Plates would only reach relativistic limits at speeds well over .7c (serious relativistic build-up happens after .9c, and the vast amount of relativistic energy build-up occurs at over .99c). Up until relativistic limits, there is no OTU reason why Thruster Plates couldn't drive a vessel to fairly high c-speed numbers.

As a GM, you could be free to set whatever limit you like, of course, IYTU. Me, I wound up thinking of fractional-c weaponry as the ultimate planet killer weapons of the TU (at least as far as planetary surfaces go, anyway). Ownership and operation of them fall under same ban as nuclear weapons by the Imperial Rules of War (although it could be difficult to tell on a well disguised ISK-type vessel), and could easily result in a Treason charge that local intelligence forces would only wait for local command (Subsector or, at most, Sector) confirmation for kill-immediately-orders, and so playing around with such disguised ISK or similar fractional-c weaponry could be lethal if it came to light by counter-intelligence investigation. Other major interstellar states feel the same way. Minor interstellar states are, of course, capable of deploying simple ISK weapons, but the retaliation for using them is usually the same but only on a much larger scale, and so usually its the odd terrorist group here or there that attempts their use, and while devastating, its fairly rare (IMTU).

1c) Hellish radiation and Space dust. Robots may get around the radiation problem, but maybe you're just going to screw up your electronic components faster than normal. Your chances to hit some little fleck of space garbage, after 100,000 years of sentient industrialization, are not as tiny as we might like them to be either. Shielding against that kind of stuff is not going to be light, requiring MORE fuel to overcome it.
I covered my thoughts on the space-dust problem above. However, I wanted to mention that OTU Charted Space has not been inhabited by space-going civilizations for 100,000 years. More like, at the most, in the case of the Vilani, what, 10,000 years (can't find my Vilani & Vargr at the moment, hmmm, Donald McKinney's website has a timeline . . . lookup, lookup); okay, the Vilani started J-1 travel at -9235, so just a little over 10,000 years ago. But that's not the same as saying each individual star system has 100,000 years of "sentient industrialization".

2) There is no Offense which is incapable of being stopped, given enough time and resources. There is no Defense which cannot be cracked, given enough time and resources. Of course, doing all this WITHOUT killing everyone you're trying to capture/defend is the trouble, isn't it?
I believe I proposed a number of possible defenses. A combination of counter fractional-c weaponry with launch-assist systems, and outlandishly, black-globe equipped automated blocker vessels, both operating in concert with a large Oort Cloud sensor net (which, IMTU, is a concept called Oort-Net, now; a development of my discussions in this thread), which has varying degrees of sensitivity depending on how extensive/large it is.

However, most of these require massive effort on the part of the defenders against very little cost on the part of the attackers. The no-jump drive ISK vessels, not too expensive, launched from vast stand-off ranges, in quantity, would, in my mind, no doubt be quite difficult to stop.

Although I personally feel that no activity large enough to mount drives on an extremely large (kilometers or tens of kilometers diameter) Oort-Cloud object would escape detection from Oort-Net scanning, in the event that such did occur (mistakes always happen, and no Oort-Net or the people who maintain it can be perfect at all times), there is very little a target planet could do to stop it once it was inbound at high velocity. The mass involved . . . it would just be too much. Of course, there wouldn't be anything left of the defenders, either (ick . . . I hope no one wanted to, say, conquer and hold a freshly-impacted world because it might be, like, valuable to the attackers . . .).

3) You don't build defenses for centuries, even on the front lines. If you did, Europe would be 20 feet deep in castles and walls and fortresses. Those things cost money to build and maintain, and you also have to replace them with new and improved stuff. You don't leave the old stuff there. It's not like it's going to be effective. How much damage does a cannon do in comparison to a 16" gun?
My main and original statement concerned a few "can't be lost" star systems. In the Imperium, I specifically mentioned Depots (I personally feel this way about most of them, but that's only, what, 19 star systems?), and I can conceive that High-Pop, High-Tech (12-15) worlds as having sufficient wealth to deploy some serious defenses based on the general paranoia and self-survival/cowardice of the politicians/rulers of such worlds (yes, I have a dim view of politicians), though those defenses would exist without Meson technology or black globes, as in the OTU meson guns are restricted by the Rules of War, and IMTU, so are black globes (and I feel most of the other major interstellar states feel the same way, at least, about Meson Guns).

And if static defenses are so great, why aren't all countries today doing their utmost to reinforce every square km of land they have? I can't tell you how annoying it is to have to see all those fortifications all around Chicago, protecting us from those evil Canadians who are plotting their invasion as we speak.

Yeah, that's right, you don't put up a lot of stuff in your rear areas. You put it in your forward areas, where you expect the enemy to be. You might make it deep, like several parsecs in from a rough border, but deeper than that is going to be pretty soft. Where's the benefit of spending obscene amounts of money protecting something that isn't going to be attacked? Anti-piracy is one thing, but that's why we have equivalent of police forces. Georgia doesn't worry about South Carolina invading it.

The heavy defenses are going to be about 10 deep-sites, maybe 20. Subs are good anti-spacecraft platforms, as are fighters and missiles. Subs stay hidden until the ground troops start raining, and then they make it hard on them.

Superheavy defenses, like at depots... Don't they have a whole solar system chock full of battleships and stuff? Mobile stuff is better anyway, because if you're losing the battle, you can take it with you and still use it.
Well, most of the time, Depots do have large reserves of Imperial Fleets sitting around waiting for a call to the front lines (which, IMTU, at least, rarely have much in the way of fixed defenses, as a heavy and concentrated surprise attack would likely have sufficient vessels to brush aside the one, or at most two squadrons defending the local Subsector, and the ground defenses necessary to do more than ward off a few pirate vessels would be too expensive to deploy along the whole border), at least in the case of Depot/Corridor around, what was it, 1116 or 1117 (hmmm, Don M's timeline doesn't note the date) when Lucan called on the Depot/Corridor reserve to come and aid the fight against Dulinor? Depot/Corridor had no serious fleet after that, and the Vargr fleets swooped in, and took Depot/Corridor in the OTU. Given the ships the Rebellion Sourcebook notes the Vargr as having, I think the fixed defenses (strict OTU design sequence weapons only, no fractional-c weapons allowed for consideration) that would have been emplaced there would have toasted the Vargr. This is my IMTU-prejudice, and need not extend to anyone else. I just always liked the idea, most especially, of a single lone beacon of Imperial Civilization in the middle of a sea of Vargr occupied worlds. (Yes, I'm a big Imperium-booster.)

So there are no 3000 year old deep-meson sites still in operation. I doubt there's even a wall or an enemy that old.
I never mentioned anything about a 3000 year timeframe. I believe most of my estimates were, at the most, 200-600 years, dating back to the time of the Imperial First Civil War. Most of the Imperium's territory at 1100 pretty much resembles (I said resembles, I did not say matches exactly) the borders at around 600; check out the Spinward Marches borders before the First Frontier and the borders after the Fifth Frontier war. What are we talking about? 10-20 parsecs of border shifting. Corridor now and then wasn't much different, either. The Solomani border came into existence 704, and then shifted to its present state 1002. Although I haven't seen century by century changes elsewhere, overall, I believe, they really haven't changed that much since 600.

My idea for deep-meson sites comes from the Imperial Palace internal meson guns, each one mounted in a sphere, capable of being rotated in any direction. The cross-section view of the Imperial Palace makes it look like there could be 8-12 of them inside the palace. And while, for security concerns, the Emperor would reasonably want some major league weapons within his direct reach, in most other locations, deep sub-surface sites would be far more suitable. The Imperial Palace was finished in 633, and so deep-meson gun sites are a well-known system from that time on. And yes, I know the Imperial Palace and its cross-section views and historical details were DGP sources, but I like them, and they are OTU as far as I'm concerned until something else that is better comes along.

4) There is no 4. It's all in your mind.
I'm sorry you feel that way. :(

Well argued but for one point, info travels at speed of travel. An invading force could cross an entire sector before an effective defense force could get in it's way. Thus the need for implaced defense forces.

Originally posted by vegascat:
Well argued but for one point, info travels at speed of travel. An invading force could cross an entire sector before an effective defense force could get in it's way. Thus the need for implaced defense forces.
IMTU . . .

An enemy fleet of 100 or even 1000 vessels or however many, they all jump in-system, near the gas giant or other wilderness refueling site, of whatever defender they are attacking. An event quite impossible to hide from local military scouts. Now, if Supplement 9: Fighting Ships is any guide, the fleet will contain vessels of J-3 to J-5 (maybe with some J-6 Couriers for communications). Likely mostly J-4 ships of the line (Supp. 9's most common heavy military vessel was J-4 M-6, the J-5 vessels were either colonial or light, with some vessels at J-3, and there were no J-6 ships of the line).

Now, the local military scout/couriers will be J-6, and they'll jump out-system as soon as they have a ballpark idea of the size of the enemy forces, possibly within 1 to 10 minutes of picking up the enemy force, and no longer.

Since the enemey fleet is going to be largely constrained by the J-4 limit of its ships of the line, the J-6 military scout/couriers of the defenders will jump to their pre-arranged behind the lines meeting points. Once there, more J-6 scout/couriers, waiting on station, will receive a communications dump from the freshly jumped-in scout/couriers from the just-invaded star system, and they too will jump out in only minutes, to repeat however many times is necessary to reach the local reserve points and laterally one or two jumps to nearby border areas (etc.), and right on to the local Depot so they are kept informed of events, and right on from there to various other important sites. If the military scout/couriers jump through an X-Boat Route world, they can dump a coded signal into that system, and local communications will also be informed (though much more slowly). This means that news of the invaders will reach defenders in the rear long before the invading fleet.

In the meantime, the enemy fleet must spend several hours refueling. Possibly they will have to perform a sweep of the Gas-Giant or ocean refueling site to assure a lack of traps or hidden defensive vessels, and while anything emplaced there (fixed or mobile defenses) can probably be crushed, it'll take extra time to do the scanning. The enemy fleet can avoid this and recklessly go ahead and wilderness refuel without checking, but the whole fleet must still refuel, and IIRC, High Guard practices mean that the entire fleet may not, not even half of it, refuel at once. So it may take enough time for three or four sets of ships to refuel if only 1/3 to 1/4 of the fleet refuels at once.

Tankers might supply enough fuel to jump once more, but refueling time is still required, and having enough Tankers to handle an entire invasion fleet would be very, very expensive, and they would be left behind after the first refueling, vulnerable (or the invading fleet would have to wait around after refueling while the Tankers wilderness refueled and jumped back to safety). Having enough Tankers to refuel the Tankers and have them come along on a second jump would be quite a feat, so many Tankers . . .

Well, that's just my take on the necessary delays imposed on any invading fleet.

Evening all,

Challenge #25 has an article titled "Planetary Invasions in Traveller" and Challenge #53, I have this one but not #54, titled "Wet Navy: Part 1 Ship Designs", for MegaTraveller. The opening stuff recounts how the Wet Navy's assets blew the stuffing out of an invasion force. Challenge #25 describes the actions needed to pull of the invasion. Unfortunately, I can't get to the magazine right now to write an overview. I'll try to get back here later with more information.

Good dialog RainofSteel. I agree on Depot/Corridor except I left it (MTU) as a warped version. And that when the Regency vs Vilani attempt to take it and were beaten off by the planet. Ended up hidding it in political war rhetoric.

A lot of these defenses are very expensive to produce and maintain. Wet Navies are better when the planet has decided not to dedicate extensive support to offworld defenses. Landed starships can also provide meson support successfully.

Planetary meson defense systems are vulnerable. If the enemy determines the location of sensors, command and control a bunker buster nuke or two could solve the invaders issues.

In the instance of Depot what is really there. A HQ for the subsector military, at least one stand down support fleet and the mothballed ships. I don't recall anything in MT mentioning reactivation of mothballed vessels.
Savage

Evening all,

I've returned as promised with an overview of "Planetary Invasions in Traveller" by Stephen Brinich and James Schwar in Challenge #25 pp. 40-42.

According to the authors the key factor in instellar warfare will be fought for the control of developed systems. The reason is that "both sides rely on their developed worlds as sources of support and maintenance as well as high technology war material."

The first phase for the attacker is to gather sufficient military assets to overcome the System defenses. The second phase is to overcome planetary defenses to take control "of the population and industrial centers of the target system in order to have a secure base of operations."

To overcome the target's system defense the attacker must gather enough naval assets to defeat the defenders naval assets and still have sufficient assets to over power planetary defenses. The attacking force is generally made up of expensive jump capable vessels that may arrive in the target system with empty tanks, while the defender's system defenses are composed of non-jump capable vessels that, depending on the Traveller generation, doesn't have to worry about refueling their jump tanks. Of course, as the authors indicate, the attacking force may opt for having a jump fuel reserve that impacts on combat capability or blast the defenders away from a refueling source. If the admiral in command succeeds in defeating the system defenses the next step is to sweep away the planetary/ground defenses and occupy the world.

To be successful the attacking force has to quickly knockout a majority of the planetary defenses. Planetary defenses include system defense boats and stationary batteries. I want to add that there would also be mobile assets that would get in some licks before being taken out. Mobile assets include land based and water based vehicles capable of launching an attack. The stationary or fixed batteries are similar to starship weapons systems. There are two types primary sites, made up of meson guns, and a lot of small secondary sites, made up of missiles, lasers, and other weapons systems. Both primary and secondary sites pose problems for the attacker. Meson gun sites are buried deep in the planets crust, while the secondary sites are a lot of small sites scattered over large areas. Someone suggested using a bunker busting nuclear weapon to take out the meson sites, which in my view has at least two drawbacks. The attacker wants to have the world as a resource using nuclear weapons can destroy the assets of industrial, agricultural, and population that started the war. The use of nuclear weapons is frowned upon by the Third Imperium, unless it is the Imperium doing the dropping of said weapons. After successfully knocking out a majority of the planetary defense systems the next task is to secure the world by using ground and aerospace assets.

Defending a system is not really covered in the article, but here is my take. The defender has to deny the attacker of refuelling sources and hammer the invasion fleet at the earliest and as far out in the system as possible. The utilization of a lot of heavily armed system defense assets that overpower the onboard defensive systems of invasion fleet is key. By knocking out a siginificant number of ships the defenders can make taking out planetary defense impossible. If the system defenses haven't forced the attackers to leave then the planetary defenses have to make the cost of landing ground forces so expensive that the attacker decides to make a strategic advance to the rear.

Of course other factors contribute to victory and defeat, such as the missile salvo that takes out the admiral's starship after dropping out of Jump space back to normal space.

Thomas Rux: Someone suggested using a bunker busting nuclear weapon to take out the meson sites, which in my view has at least two drawbacks. The attacker wants to have the world as a resource using nuclear weapons can destroy the assets of industrial, agricultural, and population that started the war. The use of nuclear weapons is frowned upon by the Third Imperium, unless it is the Imperium doing the dropping of said weapons.
Actually I said use them to take out the sensors, command and control for the meson defense grid not the actual guns. The gun implacements are useless w/o command and control, and sensors. Certainly the sensors are not buried. And the C&C has to be accessible (they don't have teleporters).
Yes. The imperium frowned on nukes. The very discussion of TNE depot sites shows a bigger picture to the direction of using such weapons.

Also, Your review of the article is slightly confusing. Which is their points and which are yours. Guess I'll have to pull it out sometime and read it for myself. :eek:

Savage

Hello Savage,

Sorry for the confusion and misunderstanding of how the bunker buster nucs were to be used. Text in double quotation marks are directly from the article, mixed with my, apparently poor, attempt to interpret and condense the article's authors comments into my own words. The points that are mine were in response to the use of bunker buster nuc and defender's requirements.

Using the nucs "to take out the sensors, command and control for the meson defense grid not the actual guns" is going to add to the destruction of assets on the target surface. How many sensors sites, control centers, and alternate power sources does a meson site have? Today modern fixed weapon systems usually have at least one backup of each system placed in such a manner as not to be affected should the primary site to taken out.

Again my apologies for misunderstanding since I thought, which can get one into trouble;), the discussion was on the pre-MT/TNE timeline. My interpretation of TNE material is that the various Rebellion factions and Virus had an electronic hand in the use of nucs.

I guess I should have stuck to pointing to where an article on this topic appeared in the past so that others could read the article for themselves.

Originally posted by Savage:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Thomas Rux: Someone suggested using a bunker busting nuclear weapon to take out the meson sites, which in my view has at least two drawbacks. The attacker wants to have the world as a resource using nuclear weapons can destroy the assets of industrial, agricultural, and population that started the war. The use of nuclear weapons is frowned upon by the Third Imperium, unless it is the Imperium doing the dropping of said weapons.
Actually I said use them to take out the sensors, command and control for the meson defense grid not the actual guns. The gun implacements are useless w/o command and control, and sensors. Certainly the sensors are not buried. And the C&C has to be accessible (they don't have teleporters).
Yes. The imperium frowned on nukes. The very discussion of TNE depot sites shows a bigger picture to the direction of using such weapons.

Also, Your review of the article is slightly confusing. Which is their points and which are yours. Guess I'll have to pull it out sometime and read it for myself. :eek:

Savage
</font>[/QUOTE]

No big deal. I was actually in a game where this tactic was used against one of the player worlds successfully.

It is all about intel. If you have a concept of where these things are a precise attack can be successful.

With sensors the attacking fleet does not need to wipe out all of them. Just those that cover a certain part of the atmosphere, since a sensor could not successful monitor both sides of the world. So where are the single points of failure.

How much money can be spent on defense? The US still doesn't have a missile defense system even though its within our technology. Some of it is political but there is definately an element oftechnical longevity involved and the costs of upgrading and maintenance.

So, basically, I agree with RainofSteel on many of his points. As long as its understood that I believe deep meson gun batteries are useful in a limited quantity, expensive and not invulnerable.

If the attacking force has obtained no intel on the enemy they're just asking for high losses. Sure you can launch asteroids at the planet (at an extremely high cost in fuel and time) but the can also deflect them with nukes. I don't care how fast its comming in. Deep space monitoring sensors of a TL15 world will see it comming.

In an element of the same game the forces attacking us did an awesome job of scorching several key worlds and beating us back. Unfortunately, a hit to their highest economy world (and the seeds of revolution) after they had spent a fortune on resources bankrupted their interstellar economy. That left us with a war of attrition and finally them sueing for peace.

Savage

If two star nations are fighting a war on a scale where invasions of developed systems are being considered, I think the use of nukes is already a moot point. The wrath of the 3rd Imperium about using such weapons will be a minor concern.

Now, not wanting to do too much damage to the planet you're trying to take is a more serious concern about using nukes on that planet. But even here, using deep penetrating weapons and micro-scale nukes would limit the collateral damage done while destroying any targets needed.

I think a full-scale assault on a well-defended developed planet would be a result of time pressure or a political decision intended to show power and resolve, as when the 3rd Imperium took Terra at the end of the Solomani Rim War. The easiest way to take a fully-developed planet would be by siege; just blockading the planet and allowing the cutoff of interstellar trade to have its effect. Any high-tech, high-population world will be too dependent on trade to last forever under full blockade. The planet will need to import something; either high-tech stuff it can't make itself, or raw materials to make things with, or just food to feed itself.

Which, of course, leads to all kinds of scenarios concerning resupply convoys trying to break the blockade, not to mention purpose-built blockade runners.

I suddenly find myself thinking about player characters acquiring a surplus blockade runner from the 5th Frontier War: high-G, stealth design, good sensors, some firepower and armor just in case, and enough cargo space for essential high-tech stuff but not enough to make a living as a regular merchant ship.

A black globe would be a very nice thing for a blockade runner to have, but I doubt a ship equipped with one would have anything but a naval crew and such a ship would certainly not be sold as surplus with the BG still installed :rolleyes: .

"If static are so great why aren't countries today..."

In the first place fashionable military doctrine has been wrong before. Also in the case of the US, the navy can replace static defences as well as being an offensive tool.

That said static defenses are not, "so great". They are an option like any other strategy. They should not be either idolized or dismissed.

And by the way static defenses are still being used-the very millitarized Korean DMZ bristles with them. This of course is a special situation-South Korea has no flanks. But every military situation different and demands an appropriate response.

Oh and someone said that "you don't build defenses for centuries : if you did Europe would be twenty feet deep in castles." Well they may not be twenty feet deep Europe does have a lot of fortification. However much was destroyed in war, or by treaty. Much was also destroyed by Kings afraid ambitious warlords would have a chance of setting up what might be called a "pocket empire" within their kingdoms. Also some were simply not kept up. When central governments became strong they liked to fortify their borders, not their interior. There is still a lot left though.

Back