• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: Mentioned in Broadsword?

Agreed, but most rifle grenades (according what I've read) are not...

That's true for HE grenades, but I guess a fuse detonated HEAP round will not be too useful, they need to be contact detonated...

And as for flechete, I guess it also must be direct fire (as they act as cannister), otherwise it would be shrapnel, not flechete...
The French used the APAV 40 as a DF weapon Afghanistan.

What the game needs - or at least CT/Striker/MT, might already be in other versions - is a 20mm-25mm HEAP or EFP grenade that can be equipped to gauss rifles to provide a lighter weight option when combat-armored foes are encountered. Gauss rifles are useless against such foes, the 40's are overkill and heavy and less useful against armored vehicles at high tech levels, and energy weapons are expensive and require maintenance. I can see a government preferring to turn to lower cost alternatives if they are available.

What the game needs - or at least CT/Striker/MT, might already be in other versions - is a 20mm-25mm HEAP or EFP grenade that can be equipped to gauss rifles to provide a lighter weight option when combat-armored foes are encountered. Gauss rifles are useless against such foes, the 40's are overkill and heavy and less useful against armored vehicles at high tech levels, and energy weapons are expensive and require maintenance. I can see a government preferring to turn to lower cost alternatives if they are available.
Rifle grenades with plasma shaped charged warheads ….

Snub pistol ammo will help with that in most versions. Typical loadout for shipboard SMGs IMTU that need a little punch against surprise armor.

TL13 battledress will not reliably keep out gauss rifle rounds in Striker (they'll stop you being killed, but over half the time you'll still be injured). TL13 laser rifles, while expensive, will fry you through any personal armour. A HEAP round for the Light Assault Gun would be helpful at high TLs (available in MegaTraveller, Pen 10).

If you're using the standard Traveller rules from Books 1-3+, there's no question of the gauss rifle's power - the only 'small arms' with equal or better penetration are energy weapons (and RAM grenades). Once you include the to hit bonuses outside short range, the gauss rifle is an absolute killer when fired on full-auto (remember, automatic fire gives multiple hit rolls on the primary target). Using Book 4 stats gauss rifles do not need help.

Back