• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Traveller Art Thread - Art Only

Non-Traveller warning!

Just added this pic of a pair of Blake's 7 Federation Trooper pistols. I started it over two years ago, but only just got around to finishing it. Story of my life...

b7gun.jpg

nice work. those look familiar, though. lesee, take off the grips and that thing on top... then add a blue (or maybe red) laser beam...

For Ender, Scarecrow, etc. that were complaining about Ender's shadows. Daz Studio does do shadows. You have to have your settings (both light and render) and light angles right. And while it doesn't do as well as other software, it certainly is cheaper.

Now I have shadows in the first render, but I was trying to get my muzzle flashes brighter.

MarineAssault.jpg

The Second Image Also has shadows and is the picture that introduced a new passenger to the bulk of the crew.

DogRommie.jpg

Both of these are straight renders without postwork. (The First is the D|S software renderer, the second is the OpenGL Render engine.)

Looks good. If you're talking about the guys on the right (the Santum Arts Chargers), I regard them more like warbots than battledress. If you're talking about the guys on the left. It's a bit too dark to see exactly what the have on.

As for the muzzle flash, you might try putting point lights at the end of the barrels to illuminate the flash graphics, and to add more light to the people like a muzzle flash would.

Yes it is the SA Charger. The Stock T20 Battledress is, scalewise, a little larger than the Charger. The Battledress I designed for Marines IMTU is a bit smaller so it counts as Medium size, but still larger than a human. And in T20 it is a vehicle. So I thought the Charger was perfect.

For information purposes it is the Concorde Elite gear on the right.
I will try with a point light. Good idea. I would love to learn exactly what settings will bring up the ambient light level just a little.
Still working on that.

DON'T and I can't stress this enough - DON'T use ambient light. All it does is lighten the black shadows to grey. The image remains flat. If you want to get rid of those black shadows then set dim lights in a position diametrically opposed to the main lights and make them cast shadows aswell - but make them VERY soft-edged shadows. You're basically trying to replicate radiosity - light bounced off of the surrounding surfaces. It is, in effect 'ambient' light but it's more realistic. Ambient light built into 3D packages doesn't cast shadows and is therefore useless. All it does is make things phosphorescent.

I posted a thread explaining this in greater detail a while back but I've now taken the images for it offline.

As for the muzzle flares. I'd get rid of the model, put a yellow light on the tip of the barrel and photoshop the flare in afterwards. It'll look more convincing.

Crow

PS - How about smaller renders while you're still working on it?

Hey Bruce awesome pics. Take a look at page 7 of this thread, I used the lens flare function of photoshop for the barrel flash. Just a glimpse of how it can brighten it up. Later

Antony's post seems to be having a problem with the url. I noticed a problem posting my own url a night or two ago. And trying to post his in my own post here didn't work. Try putting this in manually with the w w w DOT in front

skaran.net/banners/equipment/Craft/Alston/gannon

and DOT h t m l after.

Oh, I don't see the deckplans Antony. Where might they be?

Press the button labelled deckplans near the top of the page it will take you to the deckplans, if you want a larger version there is a link at the top of that page.

Nope, no button on that page. Unless it's my browser settings preventing it from loading maybe. Nope, that's not it either, fired up Exploder and it's the same.

Back