• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Uniforms

Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran von Gushiddan:
A sidearm perhaps?

Is that belt choice part of the regular program (the cell phone looking devices on the belts...)?

Has heomachine been updated?

Nice Work!

omega.gif
The belts with sidearms didn't look quite right, so I left them off. I could very easily put a pistol in their grip though. What's a snub pistol look like?

These pics were made using heromachine 2.0b1. They're up to 2.0b4 now, and 2.0 final will be released fairly soon. The general public still only has access to 1.0.

The name and ship tags on the two were added post-heromachine with photoshop.

Nice pics.

My personal thoughts on Uniforms. I think Imperial uniforms would probably be standardized, but I would think that various Noble forces would have different uniforms. Perhaps similar to Imperial uniforms in some respects, but otherwise different to taylor to identification or just personal taste.

Color coding makes sense for Humans. But what if your a Varg?
file_21.gif

Last thought; do uniforms have to be skin tight? Don't get me wrong. I like the pictures, but it seems to me that uniforms might be a little more functional; pockets over looser fitting cloth or somesuch.

Just my rambleings.

Originally posted by Blue Ghost:
----SNIP----

Last thought; do uniforms have to be skin tight? Don't get me wrong. I like the pictures, but it seems to me that uniforms might be a little more functional; pockets over looser fitting cloth or somesuch.

Just my rambleings.
I was working on the concept of the basic shipboard uniform being a skinsuit, to allow for quicker suit-up when general quarters is sounded (grab the helmet and you're done). However, a better approach would probably be to put the skinsuit under a more functional set of clothes with pockets, etc. I imagine that a skinsuit isn't all that durable either, so the extra layer of clothes could help defend against everyday scrapes of the suit. The only caveat would be that the collars would have to be loose enough that they wouldn't get in the way of the helmet sealing mechanisms...a broad scoop-neck style shirt would do the trick.

I imagine the addition of some loose-fitting overclothes would also improve the efficency of the crew, as they wouldn't be as tempted to stare at Lt. Thompson's...aft...when they've got other things to do.

That being said, I do like the way the pics came out, I might keep them to illustrate the undersuit and then do another version with a more practical jumpsuit over the skinsuit.

Originally posted by flykiller:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />... And aren't you off a Nuke-powered missile cruiser?
he may be, but I'm off the Vinson. the colored jerseys are worn while on a flight deck and while expecting duty on a flight deck, and not anywhere else. beyond that one sees no particular color distinction anywhere in the navy, 'cept that between the junior enlisteds (referred to as "blueshirt scumbags") and the chiefs/officers ( referred to as "the khaki"). </font>[/QUOTE]I've seen pictures of USN deck crew wearing BDU pants; would these be Marines perhaps? (Who are responsible for embarked Marine a/c?)

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />... And aren't you off a Nuke-powered missile cruiser?
he may be, but I'm off the Vinson. the colored jerseys are worn while on a flight deck and while expecting duty on a flight deck, and not anywhere else. beyond that one sees no particular color distinction anywhere in the navy, 'cept that between the junior enlisteds (referred to as "blueshirt scumbags") and the chiefs/officers ( referred to as "the khaki"). </font>[/QUOTE]I've seen pictures of USN deck crew wearing BDU pants; would these be Marines perhaps? (Who are responsible for embarked Marine a/c?) </font>[/QUOTE]don't know. never saw bdu's on navy personnel in six and a half years aboard. 'course regulations change, there may be supply issues, maybe marines were acting as flight deck crew (was this picture you saw on a carrier or on an amphibious assault ship?), and so on.

As far as I know, anyone running security for a ship or base "can" be issued BDU's. Master-at-Arms, maybe? SEALs get BDU's. Corps of Engineers get BDU's. Not sure of any others. I was issued them when they phased out the Marines at NAF Atsugi and made the lower Navy ranks take over perimeter watches.

Later,

Scout

My problem with possible uniform colour coding stems not so much from an "it looks Trekkie" view point but rather from the "us" vs "them" attitudes
it might lead to in service. Allready posted was a reference to "the blue shirt scum" and "the Khaki's". That one seemed traditional nco vs enlisted, what I'm hinting at is Department vs Department. Would it lead to more problems than it might allieviate?

I think the A/C carrier deck crew is not a good model. Note that no other branch of service does this.

A flight deck is a unique environment. There are a multiple crews of different specialties, the noise level restricts communication to hand signals, and not only is the deck dangerous but it is constantly changing the way it is dangerous in diferent places. It is essential that supervisors be able to instantly identify who is out of place.

Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
A flight deck is a unique environment. There are a multiple crews of different specialties, the noise level restricts communication to hand signals, and not only is the deck dangerous but it is constantly changing the way it is dangerous in diferent places. It is essential that supervisors be able to instantly identify who is out of place.
Hmmm ... that does sound like a good reason to have vacc suits colour coded. The skin of a starship is no place to be confused about who is standing near the exhaust ports when you fire the maneuver drives up for a test.

In terms of branches of service uniform colours make sense, but I agree that departmental uniform colours is overkill. Badges can do the same thing.

I allways thought that Navy/Mareanes(shipbord)/scouts would where somthing akin to the RCES body sleave (even pre release of TNE)and ground forces at 10+ (untill standardiasion of combat armor)would where combat envroment suits then go over to the same kind of clober as their vac-head counterparts, atleaset on combat duties and when not maby somthing like modern forces where (BDU's & "pollies")

Originally posted by Vanguard:
It wouldn't suprise me if uniforms for shipboard use were actually skinsuits (a type of spacesuit which is tight to the body and non-bulky) or another type of light-weight vaccsuit. The faceplate could be attached to a "hood" which is simply pulled over the head and sealed. This makes for quicker suit-up when general quarters is sounded.

This assumes that the skinsuits would be comfortable and flexible enough for regular use and any life support apparatus would be light enough to not be a problem. Alternatively, helmets with life support gear could be at stations all over the ship. Then you only need to grab a helmet, seal it on, and you're ready to go.
I worry about the whole solid waste elimination things. Remember, the crew is going to be wearing this all the time. skin suits rely on the fabric itself to maintain pressure over the skin. This is not comfortable for long periods of time, not even counting the plumbing issue.

But then, they never go to the bathroom on TV do they.

Note that shuttle astronauts don't wear suits all the time. Either vacc suit or skin suit, they both will have a fatigue factor. Anyone who's ever worn a level A suit or MOPP 4 knows all about this.

It could be in the Far Future this is removed as an issue due to things like stillsuits (as in Dune) whereby body wastes are recycled and distributed throughout the suit.

Now anytime that someone uses a fresher, this would be a standard time for dumping waste products by just plugging the suit in.

Notwithstanding, Asimov's extensive discussion on freshers. It is probably sufficient to say that in the future we have complete spacesuits integrated with the regular clothing that could withstand the loss of pressure due to decompression with more heavy duty spacesuits geared to different tasks. I think it was DGP's World Builder's book that illustrated all the various different types of suits.

kafka47 said,
It could be in the Far Future this is removed as an issue due to things like stillsuits (as in Dune) whereby body wastes are recycled and distributed throughout the suit.
[/qoute]
This looks like something for bootleggers who are always on the move. Instant Moonshine where ever you want it.

Originally posted by kafka47:
I was thinking solid wastes. Handling these is a bit different, and will certainly mean different standards of comfort. One of those little details that scifi writer like to pretend doesn't exist.

Read "Up schist creek" by Piers Anthony

here is my take on shipboard Uniforms in MTU

The dress is simple clothing with rank shown on shoulder flashes (Something like Hemdian's
Officer's Underss Uniform in Navy Blue/Black paints and Royal Blue Shirt).

No special/distanct colour/uniform for department (but ther are exceptions).
Ship's Crest and Name tag on right breast of shirt

The exceptions being things like;
Space Training Staff (Red hats and armbands) who are only on board to "work up" the crew,
Medic who replace one of the shoulder flashes with a Red Cross,
MPs who have red hats and black armbands with 'MP' in white.

All this is inspired from the type of dress worn and seen in my Canadain Navy service days

Formal Dress Uniforms are like much more fancy/flambuoyant.

I always assumed the on-duty shipboard uniforms would be very utilitarian, such as jumpsuits with plenty of pockets. They would have skin suits but only certain duty stations (possibly damage control or engineering?) would wear them all the time while on duty. Others would wear them when the ship was on a heightened state of alert. An officer jumpsuit might be 'better tailored' or not quite as utilitarian, but even they would wear them, especially on smaller ships.

I did envision some color coding but not for every role or department. It would be based more on certain critical functions or jobs such as damage control teams, medics, maybe security. The idea being to make it easy to quickly identify people acting in certain roles without having to take the time to scan their uniform or inquire what their role is.

If the jumpsuits are made at high tech, maybe certain parts of the material are wired to change to the appropriate color when the individual checks in for duty in one of the color coded positions. this would also allow crewmen who have been pulled into a critical role that they usually don't perform to acquire the correct markings without changing clothes.

That's a good point about the ability to change uniform insignia with tasking. However, your original department, ID, and rank would still be visible usually. Remember, in a space suit, it is hard to see epaulets, wrist-rings, or collar dogs.

Plus, in busy environments like a flight deck (reference modern US nuclear carriers), colour coding can be very useful. It identifies who is on which teams, has which jobs, and lets a senior officer overlooking the deck immediately see that people are in the right or wrong placements for the type of operation being executed.

As to the comments about MOPP4, I'll point out:
1. Rarely do your suits have air conditioning. Vacc suits may well feature quite advanced climate control, thus easing the strain (one sure prespires in those lovely charcoal lined suits...).
2. Modern gel linings and uberfabrics may well make them a lot more comfortable to wear in and less likely to chaffe.
3. Having said the last 2, I still agree. The longer you are stood-to in full spacefairing gear, the more fatigued you will be. This goes doubly so for lower tech bulkier gear (hence another odd and minor but notable advantage for higher tech forces with tailored suits) and for guys in battle dress. Marines especially will have grown used to the long periods of being encased... but everyone is always glad to get out of the suit, I'm thinking.

Back