• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Uniforms

Armor would be on top of the uniform in the pictures, so you don't want to volunteer an aim point.

I think USAF has the coolest symbol
usaf.jpg

Why was the camo scheme changed? The newer stuff looks like the colors the Germans and Russians use for their BDUs.

Myself I always thought the Navy had the right idea with cuff and shoulder rank insignias.

Who aims in real combat? Besides the snipers I mean.

No, I'm serious. I'm pretty sure most combat conditions don't involve aiming so much as pointing, and the ranges and light conditions and such are likely going to mean the other soldier won't even see the little emblem on your chest, or even recognize you as a person. I expect all they may see are blurs of movement and maybe muzzle flashes, and the adrenelin will kick in and that's what they'll shoot for. There may be the odd time a regular soldier gets to take an aimed shot but even then at the likely range that target is going to be a pretty small aim point, more likely they'll just aim center of mass and hope to hit something.

But I guess I'm straying off topic anyway

Most serious folks have known for years that the "Woodland Camoflage" sticks out like a sore thumb anywhere but deep jungle, but it looked cool. The new USMC, Canadian, and US Army "digital" uniforms are lighter and much better as camoflage. (The USAF "smurfiflage" is a joke, but it does hide grease stains.)

The rank patch does not seem to bother any of the current active duty shooters I have listened to on it. It is velcoed on so if bothers you, don't wear it. I think the point is that the rank on the uniform will be in the same place as on the armor, so a private can figure out imediately if a stranger can really order him around.

Originally posted by far-trader:
Who aims in real combat? Besides the snipers I mean.

much training given to our troops nowadays involves getting off aimed shots. in iraq, reporters are noting that they can always tell the difference between our troops and the insurgents by listening to the rifle fire. u.s. troops are noted by the steady crack-crack of aimed fire while the other guys cut loose with their ak's.

of course, there are exceptions to every rule. a brit i know saw a marine on tv empty to magazines in quick sucession. the brit told em that if *his* sergeant saw that, he would be up that marine's a$$ so fast, etc.

back on topic, i've seen the new uniforms. it's an improvement over the old ones, but it will take some getting used to. my first impression was that it looked like my grandmothers old kitchen, all pale green.

Have only seen the Canadian version of the "digital" uniform. The rank patch is quite hard to spot/make out until your about 6' away. But then, the rank flash and name tabs used by Canadian troops are much darker than what is shown above. It is the 1" by 2" red & white Canadian flag on the shoulders that really stand out. ;)

I've seen the Canadian BDUs in person and I like them better than the picture of the US Army version. The US ones seem to stand out too much.

Pictures of cammo are notoriously bad. So far the only pictures with natural vegetation and the new uniforms are horrible, and the picture with something like correct colors was taken under incadescent light.

When we can finally compare I suspect that CADPAT, MARPAT, and the new stuff (ARPAT?) will be pretty close in most terrain.
The USAF "smurfiflage" specifically excepted.

The rules of Uniform Design:

1) "Any uniform design must be uncomfortable."
2) "Every uniform, no matter how well tailored, must not fit properly."
3) "If a uniform being worn flatters the wearer's physique, then that wearer is out of uniform."
4) "Uniforms will be issued in one of two available sizes - 'Too Small' and 'Too Large'."
5) "Any given uniform item will be out of stock on the day of inspection." (Sgt. Murphy strikes again!)

Originally posted by Corejob:

But then, they never go to the bathroom on TV do they.
Only once that I know of. In one episode of Babylon 5 you see Sheridan and Garibaldi in the mens room.

When we can finally compare I suspect that CADPAT, MARPAT, and the new stuff (ARPAT?) will be pretty close in most terrain.
The USAF "smurfiflage" specifically excepted. [/QB]
Hey the Air Club wants to look like the UEO from
SeaQuest DSV.Well it's not like you can hide on
an air field anyway.... ;)

Scout Uniforms...

Lets see, Shorts, knee high wool socks with garters, colorful neckerchief, campaign hat…oops! That is the boy scouts…..

IMTU, an active duty scout gets a clothing allowance and access to the local Imperial Navy PX, where if s/he is smart spends their money on durable duty uniforms for what ever environment they are likely to encounter on the next several foreseeable missions. Thus the scout costume will consist of a broad array of military and civilian items, chosen on the basis of utility and personal style.

Scout service specific uniforms? I wouldn’t think it likely except for the occasional IISS windbreaker or cap, the kind of things the Secret Service or FBI might have when service identification is necessary. More likely The scout will have an IISS ball cap he received as a 5-year service award, that he wears when repainting the airlocks.

The exception, I think would be larger scout vessels and the X-boat service. The larger the scout vessel the more uniform a dress code will be demanded by the captain, but will definitely vary from ship to ship. For X-Boat service, I think the uniform trends will be similar to UPS or FedEx for all members. X-boat pilots, who are constantly on the move and changing vessels, will likely keep their kit to a minimum, and use uniforms for daily use and keep their civvies fresh for going on leave.

Dress uniforms? Not a chance. At most, I there would be an official IISS blazer, worn mostly by elderly veteran scouts at reunions.

As far as wearing the fitted vacuum suit as a duty uniform? I think it unlikely. Considering the cost of the garment, you wouldn’t want to damage it while doing a mundane task. Who says you’ll have time to repair it between now and when you’ll really need it? I would think you only don it when in imminent threat of being exposed to vacuum or hazardous atmosphere.

That being the case, I would think that scouts would prefer vacuum suits that could be worn over their usual attire, more bulky, but more convenient.

Scouts IMTU also dress eclectically with one exception: buckskins/leathers. either as a jacket, trousers/chaps, or boots. Heaven help the whuffo (non-scout)who is wearing bucks.

Originally posted by Marvo:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Corejob:

Only once that I know of. In one episode of Babylon 5 you see Sheridan and Garibaldi in the mens room.
</font>[/QUOTE]You beat me to it. anyway, Babylon 5 refers to toilets more than once - ofcourse, you'll have to stay out of the Pakmara (sp? haven't watched B5 for years) ones

IMTU, the Solar Triumvirate uniforms are pretty traditional. Ofcourse, duty uniforms are functional enough for the 2400's battlefield: Infantry troops wear their Arachsynth Combat Environment Suits and full helmets (with vision, hearing and comm aids installed and a microcomp displaying info and maps on the visor, ofcourse). For Marines who train in Combat Armor, this is also their Dress Uniform.

However, the dress uniforms of most units follow the centuries-old buttoned style, drawing on both the British/Israeli, Japanese and Russian styles. Tradition is a strong force in the Triumvirate; most units have an old-terra "origin", even if this "origin" was 400 years old (and almost 200 of them are the total chaos of the Stagnation).

In the Serpentis Quadrant Alliance, on the other hand, the Triumvirate traditions are usually viewed as anathema; Pomp and ritual are scorned as pointless, reactionary trappings. The Alliance uniforms are simple and utalitarian, usually consisting of long, multi-pocketed high-durability BDU pants, colored in a camoflage pattern (which could be changed by a simple integral controller to whatever camoflage pattern appropriate), and a T-shirt, usually black or red colored (unless you change it to camo, which is easy - TL8+ cloth could change pattern with the touch of a button), with the unit's insignia printed in front and the Alliance symbol printed behind. Duty uniform adds a multi-pocketed vest over the T-shirt; longer, cold-weather clothes are also available. Each crew member wears either a bandana, a scarf, a shawl or a head kerchief - whichever they choose, all are pretty fashionable in the Alliance - usually showing the unit's unofficial logo.

Alliance ranks are shoulder-mounted plates (think Israeli or Russian style) and are worn on shoulder-straps (is this the term?) on the soldier's vest.

All Alliance services use similar uniforms (with different symbols/logos), with the Marines being the most strict about dress code and the Scouts usually wearing whatever is comfortable and suitable for their mission unless they are on parade.

Both navies (and the Consortium navy as well) use color to designate their Vacc-suits.

Originally posted by Employee 2-4601:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Marvo:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Corejob:

</font>[/QUOTE]You beat me to it. anyway, Babylon 5 refers to toilets more than once - ofcourse, you'll have to stay out of the Pakmara (sp? haven't watched B5 for years) ones
</font>[/QUOTE]In a Firefly episode (I can figure out which if you've really gotta know), you see Capt. Reynolds zipping up after he finishes his business...he also folds the toilet into the wall of his stateroom.

Back