• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

When the Lorenverse and the OTU meet

The way I se this, a strict joining of the timelines isn't really the issue. The practical question is, what would you need to do to be able to run a campaign using the Traveller 1248 material, if you assume an otherwise GURPS Traveller compatible prior timeline?

Simon Hibbs

The way I se this, a strict joining of the timelines isn't really the issue. The practical question is, what would you need to do to be able to run a campaign using the Traveller 1248 material, if you assume an otherwise GURPS Traveller compatible prior timeline?

Simon Hibbs

The Lorenverse has a unique timeline primarily in that the Third Imperium ends and Charted Space changes by some other means than the Rebellion and Virus, perhaps a slower decay, perhaps a series of shakeups over a long time, and perhaps it takes centuries.

Assuming that can happen in one century, what you'd need is a sketch of history from about 1130 to about 1240 which splinters the Third Imperium with lower and isolated levels of chaos and destruction.

The sketch can be brief in the extreme, and is probably better as such.

1120: The Third Imperium officially reaches TL16 standard (= common).
1130: Solomani fragmenting into subsector-sized Splinter States.
1150-1200: Charted Space fragmenting into Domains.
1200-1240: Domains breaking down into Sector States (e.g. Fourth Imperium).
1240+: Sectors are in the process of breaking up into Splinter States (Spinward States).

Last edited:
Truth - the point of divergence is a made up piece of rubbish - no one has any idea when or what it was. I eagerly wait to be corrected.
As you wish.

Your statement is not truth, it is conjecture. It's worse than that, actually, but I don't know a better word for it. It's not just an opinion or idea formed without proof or sufficient evidence, it's an idea that contradicts the only known official statement about the subject. Loren Wiseman has stated flat out that he has a POD in mind. So it's not just without proof, it flat out contradicts the existing evidence (however scant).

Hans

IMPTU most PC groups have ended up siding with the Ine Givar - frontier folk really don't like losing their freedom to the Imperialisation of their worlds.
IMTU the major member worlds counterbalance Imperialization quite well, being the source of Imperial power in the first place and outnumbering Imperial forces two to one. The Ine Givar don't really have much power and it compensates by employing those classic terrorist methods that are so abhorrent to right-thinking people, including most PCs.

Yes, I know about (and have played) anti-social characters, but in my experience PCs are mostly heroic types. Or murder hobos, of course. But not dedicated-to-a-cause terrorists.

Hans

I object to the use of Ridiculous, for those of us that see Dulinor, Virus and Vampire fleets as 'ridiculous' the retcon is the best way to go. (It ruined my groups 80's Traveller experience for one).
It's not a retcon either. GDW may have intended the Real Strephon to be a fraud, but they never said so, so there was no need to retcon anything; they just changed their minds, which is always an option if you get a better idea before you commit yourself by publishing an official statement in authorial voice.

Hans

The Lorenverse has a unique timeline primarily in that the Third Imperium ends and Charted Space changes by some other means than the Rebellion and Virus, perhaps a slower decay, perhaps a series of shakeups over a long time, and perhaps it takes centuries.
One question: Is this a thought experiment or has the decision been made to have the two universes converge? Because a thought experiment is fine as long as you realize that having two universes converge once they have diverged is akin to uncooking a hardboiled egg. It's just not possible.

Mind you, I can see no possible reason to make the GTU converge with the OTU even if it was theoretically possible. If you want to game in the 1248 OTU, why not just set the campaign in the 1248 OTU? Why would you need to make the 1248 GTU identical to the 1248 OTU???

Hans

One question: Is this a thought experiment or has the decision been made to have the two universes converge? Because a thought experiment is fine as long as you realize that having two universes converge once they have diverged is akin to uncooking a hardboiled egg. It's just not possible.

Not that you needed my support, but I couldn't concur more.

Mind you, I can see no possible reason to make the GTU converge with the OTU even if it was theoretically possible. If you want to game in the 1248 OTU, why not just set the campaign in the 1248 OTU? Why would you need to make the 1248 GTU identical to the 1248 OTU???

I believe this was a thought experiment of Rob's. There are no decisions being made about anything until Marc and Steve finish their decisions.

I believe this was a thought experiment of Rob's. There are no decisions being made about anything until Marc and Steve finish their decisions.

Quite frankly, I hope that there is no convergence. The Lorenverse is my preferred published TU, and I'd rather it remain entirely divergent from the whole Shattered Imperium/Virus/etc., even if that means that future publications of later TU milieus do not present a Lorenverse version of those milieus.

Perhaps you have a pre-existing Lorenverse campaign, and you want to run a follow-up game using the 1248 material but incorporating the consequences of PC actions in the previous game.

It doesn't need to be identical for a use like this, you just need to figure out any obvious inconsistencies that need to be revised for it to be a plausible fit.

Simon Hibbs

Quite frankly, I hope that there is no convergence. The Lorenverse is my preferred published TU, and I'd rather it remain entirely divergent from the whole Shattered Imperium/Virus/etc., even if that means that future publications of later TU milieus do not present a Lorenverse version of those milieus.

I don't care for the lorenverse per se, and don't see a need to force it back to mesh...

Especially since it would involve forcing the virus upon the setting. The psycho-social effects of the virus essentially cannot be replicated by anything but the virus or a near clone.

But there would still be lingering major differences that would affect the TNE era severely.

One question: Is this a thought experiment or has the decision been made to have the two universes converge?

This is me, thinking about what it means for the Lorenverse to continue to have life after GURPS.

I haven't seen a better name for this particular TU, not one that sticks in my brain so easily anyway. Once someone nails down a better term or abbreviation, I'll adjust my vocabulary.

This is me, thinking about what it means for the Lorenverse to continue to have life after GURPS.
Assuming the rights to the GTU become Marc's exclusively, all it takes is someone writing more adventures/setting articles and Marc sanctioning publication thereof. There's no need to fold it back into the OTU (no point either, it seems to me).

I have a 95% finished adventure set in the GTU that I've been meaning to finish and submit to JTAS Online (Once again my propensity for procrastination bites me in the posterior :(). I'd be overjoyed to get that published somehow.

Hans

Assuming the rights to the GTU become Marc's exclusively, all it takes is someone writing more adventures/setting articles and Marc sanctioning publication thereof. There's no need to fold it back into the OTU (no point either, it seems to me).

I have a 95% finished adventure set in the GTU that I've been meaning to finish and submit to JTAS Online (Once again my propensity for procrastination bites me in the posterior :(). I'd be overjoyed to get that published somehow.

Hans

I agree that it seems unnecessary to somehow fold the GTU into the OTU. After a certain point the histories may parallel, but that seems far fetched given the differences.

I too have a few articles in various stages that would have gone to JTAS. And I'm sure there are a number of followers of the alternate timeline, enough to sustain at least some form publication.

Since SJ Games cannot be involved, and GURPS belongs to SJ, would such articles have to refrain from using GURPS stats? I can imagine it would be preferable for articles to be based on T5 mechanics, or possibly Mongoose?

For that matter if the GURPS part is leaving the GURPS Traveller Universe, would it be proper to continue to call it the GTU? The setting is not dependent on the system.

...if the GURPS part is leaving the GURPS Traveller Universe, would it be proper to continue to call it the GTU? The setting is not dependent on the system.

GTU could indeed use an alternate, positive name. One that reflects its setting, without having to explicitly define itself as "not the Rebellion-Virus timeline".

GTU could indeed use an alternate, positive name. One that reflects its setting, without having to explicitly define itself as "not the Rebellion-Virus timeline".

I've already suggested 'No Rebellion Universe' (NRU). I don't see why explicitly defining it by its most prominent feature is a problem.

Hans

I've already suggested 'No Rebellion Universe' (NRU). I don't see why explicitly defining it by its most prominent feature is a problem.

Hans

Sure, NRU (NRTU?) is okay by me. It's not so much a problem, as an identity thing. Perhaps it doesn't matter.

Back