• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Duchies of the Spinward Marches Sector

maksimsmelchak

SOC-13
Admin Award
Duchies of the Spinward Marches Sector

I have been researching the duchies of the Spinward Marches and have determined that there really is a paucity of data, let alone canon data available for them.

GURPS Traveller Nobility, seems to be the last source to really go over Imperial nobles although the newer Mongoose Spinward Marches book is one I have not adequately perused. Lots of older Classic and Mega Traveller materials for the Marches exist.

Hans Rancke and Peter Trevor spent a lot of time trying to fill in the blanks as have many others including Glenn Goffin, off the top of my head. Please forgive me if I have omitted your contributions.

I'd like to see what the greater community knowns and what they are willing to share. I have read Peter's materials and have a number of notes and manuscripts from Hans. Both ran campaigns in this sector and had well-developed backgrounds developed for them, to my knowledge. I spoke with Don several times regarding these and related matters.

So, here goes:

**** What do you know about the duchies of the Spinward Marches? Which resources or references did you use? Is your information canon, non-canon, fanon, or otherwise? ***

Thank you ahead of time for any posts or contributions.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

Last edited:
Duchies 'were' fanon.
Hans was one of the biggest proponents of the use of the term, but the facts are that (in CT canon) neither the Spinward Marches supplement or Library Data supplements used any other word than subsector.
It even states that Imperial government begins at the subsector level - no mention of duchies.

I like the term, and would support its retcon in a memorial of sorts for Hans.

Were not a standard practice to have subsector Dukes, and one of them to be the Sector Duke (akin of a Primus inter Pares)?

If so, I'd expect about 9-11 dukes in Spinward Marches:
  • Regina and Mora are quite well known
  • Aramis, Lanth, Rhylanor, Lunion, Glisten, Five Sisters and Trin are quite likely to have their own Dukes
  • Jewell and Vilis may have a Duke or be part of the adjacent Duchies, as they hold little territory. OTOH, they are border zones, so a need of a high noble to take quick decisions may be in order...
Of those, the either Mora or Regina, depending on the momonent, are the Sector Duke (and I guess is because of this they are the best known).

I wonder if we should look at the Roman Dux as inspiration for subsector dukes rather than the European descendant the duke...

It is on record that the proto-Third Imperium was originally envisaged as having a roman empire vibe to it - the medievalisation that grew into GURPS nobles could be an error...

I wonder if we should look at the Roman Dux as inspiration for subsector dukes rather than the European descendant the duke...

It is on record that the proto-Third Imperium was originally envisaged as having a roman empire vibe to it - the medievalisation that grew into GURPS nobles could be an error...

Considering Duke Norris and his performance during the FFW. It seems highly likely. I would also opine that given the vast distances and communication delays , it is an almost certainty.

Were not a standard practice to have subsector Dukes, and one of them to be the Sector Duke (akin of a Primus inter Pares)?

[*]Jewell and Vilis may have a Duke or be part of the adjacent Duchies, as they hold little territory. OTOH, they are border zones, so a need of a high noble to take quick decisions may be in order...[/LIST]
Of those, the either Mora or Regina, depending on the momonent, are the Sector Duke (and I guess is because of this they are the best known).

IMHO....

1. Jewell for sure I could see a 'County' subject to the Regina Duchy,
2. Villis I could see as a patchwork of Viscounts, Marquis, and Barons to the Sector Duke.
3. The Five Sisters/Iderati ( My favored Area) would certainly need a strong duke invested with an imperial mandate economically, militarily and politically.
4. with regards to Trin's Veil I could almost see systems being Split between the Duchy of Mora and possibly neighbors trailing and rimward

If so, I'd expect about 9-11 dukes in Spinward Marches:
  • Regina and Mora are quite well known
  • Aramis, Lanth, Rhylanor, Lunion, Glisten, Five Sisters and Trin are quite likely to have their own Dukes
  • Jewell and Vilis may have a Duke or be part of the adjacent Duchies, as they hold little territory. OTOH, they are border zones, so a need of a high noble to take quick decisions may be in order...

Per sup 3... Jewell is part of Regina's see.

JTAS: only two dukes mentioned - Norris of Regina and Caranda of Regina...

SMC:
  • Five Sisters (AKA district 267) is administered by the IN, not a noble.
  • Jewell answers to Regina
  • Dukes Norris and Caranda
  • District 268 - all worlds under imperial protection but not imperial members

TTA: Marquis of Aramis answers to Duke of Rhylanor via "Count Knowln of Celepina"

SUBSECTOR DUKES (Spinward Marches):

Jewell: None Current - Reports to Regina {Pending: Sir Benoit Zahn} - [MgT: Tripwire, p.49-50]
Regina
: Aledon Family (Current: Norris Aella) - [Numerous Sources]
Aramis: None Current - Reports to Rhylanor- [T5SS Data, TTA]

Vilis: None Current - [GT Nobles; T5SS Data]
Lanth: None Current - [GT Nobles; T5SS Data]
Rhylanor
: Kirgashii Family (Current: Leonard Stephanos) - [GT Nobles; MT Computer Game; T5 Cirque - ERRATA: named both Leonard and Stephen]

Lunion: Jesten Family (Current: Luis Adorania) - [GT Nobles; T5 Cirque]
Mora: Muudashir Family (Current: Delphine Adoriana) - [Numerous Sources]

Five Sisters: Unknown - [T5SS Data - Iderati is Ducal seat; although CT had suggested that there were few nobles here and Naval Administration]
Glisten: Muktheswara Family (Current: Avaraja Astaarte) - [GT Nobles]
Trin: Arahailli Family (Current: Miraii Aban) - [GT Nobles]

SUBSECTOR DUKES (Spinward Marches):

Jewell: None Current - Reports to Regina {Pending: Sir Benoit Zahn} - [MgT: Tripwire, p.49-50]
Regina
: Aledon Family (Current: Norris Aella) - [Numerous Sources]
Aramis: None Current - Reports to Rhylanor- [T5SS Data, TTA]

Vilis: None Current - [GT Nobles; T5SS Data]
Lanth: None Current - [GT Nobles; T5SS Data]
Rhylanor
: Kirgashii Family (Current: Leonard Stephanos) - [GT Nobles; MT Computer Game; T5 Cirque - ERRATA: named both Leonard and Stephen]

Lunion: Jesten Family (Current: Luis Adorania) - [GT Nobles; T5 Cirque]
Mora: Muudashir Family (Current: Delphine Adoriana) - [Numerous Sources]

Five Sisters: Unknown - [T5SS Data - Iderati is Ducal seat; although CT had suggested that there were few nobles here and Naval Administration]
Glisten: Muktheswara Family (Current: Avaraja Astaarte) - [GT Nobles]
Trin: Arahailli Family (Current: Miraii Aban) - [GT Nobles]

GRUPS Is canon now isn't it?

The GT setting is generally considered canon up to the nebulous point of the timeline split (occurring sometime before 1116). At that point it diverges into OTU and LTU.

But T5 and AotI may be changing things . . .

The departure date has been argued a lot.... It's most certainly not that late in the timeline tho'. The lead time on such an effort as the assassination is measured years.

The departure date has been argued a lot.... It's most certainly not that late in the timeline tho'. The lead time on such an effort as the assassination is measured years.

And for some, it is a preferred pastime. Far be it from me to crap on someone's enjoyment of Traveller.

For the purposes of general canon, the departure date is effectively 1115 or 1116, even though in "reality" it must be years earlier.

And for some, it is a preferred pastime. Far be it from me to crap on someone's enjoyment of Traveller.

For the purposes of general canon, the departure date is effectively 1115 or 1116, even though in "reality" it must be years earlier.

For practical purposes, IY -2500...

I never plunged far into 'Lorenverse'. GT was an interesting take on the Traveller Universe for me. I do find the CT verse the strongest pull for IMTU.

The whole assassination, virus etc...never appealed to me.

Back