• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: Fixing the Type T Deck Plans?

Fuel? The main hull is undersized; there's already too much fuel in the wings. I'm still trying to figure out what to put in the lower corners of the "attic" that slope down to the aft-center deck.

The extended decks give me 4 full staterooms more worth of deck space to play with.

Life support is in the above/belowdeck zone in the aft end of the mid-deck section.

Last edited:
Lazy solution: Ladder shaft 1.5m x 1.5m. Iris valves at each deck (facing aft on the top and bottom decks, forward on the mid-deck); the shaft can serve as an airlock in the event of loss of pressure in any of the three decks. Ladders on port and starboard walls, and on forward wall above and below the iris valve. Gravity in the shaft is 0.1g, with warning lights present in the event gravity is set to some value other than 0.1g (0g or 1g).

With a little practice, it's possible to jump across from either of the aft decks to the mid-deck, or vice versa. Failure is merely embarrassing, there is little chance of injury (0g combat or vacc suit skill helps). Unless you're excessively encumbered, jumping from the lower deck to the upper deck, or vice versa, is also possible.

Is this better or worse than having an elevator? I'm thinking that the main benefit of an elevator here is that you don't have to explain it.

"I'm trying to build an OSHA-compliant starship here!" -- me.

Last edited:
Add some 53rd century magic and it would be quite usable, not just for emergencies.
Agreed, but I don't want to push suspension of disbelief too far. All that's needed in-room are the facilities to do a quick wash-up and shave (or apply depilatory gel -- we're not barbarians here in the 53rd century!), and a contingency toilet for those times when walking down the corridor to the head isn't an option.

This is for a military application with group bathrooms though. Civilian passenger staterooms would have something more like a fancier and slightly larger version of the Rialta restroom; high passage rooms would have permanent (non-fold-away) restrooms like those on cruise ships. (Wait, are fixed lavatory facilities "luxury fittings"?)
YTU may vary, though :)

Agreed, but I don't want to push suspension of disbelief too far.
(Click to get video.) Takes some space in the wall, but usable?

Current primitive variant:
Lavello-Gallery-Closed.jpg
Sanitari-immagine-rappresentativa-home.jpg

https://scmmarineequipment.it/scm-marine-equipment-home/sinks/?lang=en

Last edited:
Gravity in the shaft is 0.1g, with warning lights present in the event gravity is set to some value other than 0.1g (0g or 1g).
Low gravity vertical access is the way to go if you're needing a compact transfer point.
All that's needed in-room are the facilities to do a quick wash-up and shave (or apply depilatory gel -- we're not barbarians here in the 53rd century!), and a contingency toilet for those times when walking down the corridor to the head isn't an option.
Crew are already going to be "living in each other's pockets" for long stretches of time as it is. Communal fresher facilities make sense for some ships but not others, depending on the design philosophy. Honestly, you're really looking at a difference of 2x2 vs 3x2 deck squares for staterooms (realistically speaking for deck layouts). If you've got a lot of staterooms clustered together, or especially if you have an odd number of staterooms, going with a 2x2 array plus a shared fresher (to round out the rectangle, so to speak) can make sense. But if you have an even number of staterooms, adding an "extra" shared fresher space can make the deck plans get a little wacky.

Another point is ... just how far do you need to go in order to reach a fresher (or YOUR fresher if everyone has one in their own stateroom)? If the distance between quarters and workstation isn't that far, it makes more sense to give everyone their own fresher in their own single occupancy stateroom rather than clutter up the deck plan with shared freshers. However, for very large ships with long distances to traverse between stateroom and workstation, having communal shared freshers scattered around makes more sense.

Likewise, I'm thinking that 2x2 double occupancy staterooms make more sense to have communal shared freshers to balance them out, while 3x2 single occupancy staterooms work better with individual "permanent" full fresher facilities work out better in that case. Such distinctions start getting into the military, paramilitary, civilian design considerations of ship purpose, and essentially amount to a kind of "fluff text" version of deck plan design.

Another point is ... just how far do you need to go in order to reach a fresher (or YOUR fresher if everyone has one in their own stateroom)? If the distance between quarters and workstation isn't that far, it makes more sense to give everyone their own fresher in their own single occupancy stateroom rather than clutter up the deck plan with shared freshers. However, for very large ships with long distances to traverse between stateroom and workstation, having communal shared freshers scattered around makes more sense.
Good point. Referring back to my Shugushaag freighter in retrospect, it probably needs a bathroom for the drive bay's lower deck.

Thinking back to my college dorm where there were 2 double occupancy rooms with a shared bathroom for 4, closets making up the other half of the bathroom space.

Bit cramped in a fantasy map but it was quick

1650644960348.png

Thinking back to my college dorm where there were 2 double occupancy rooms with a shared bathroom for 4, closets making up the other half of the bathroom space.

Bit cramped in a fantasy map but it was quick

View attachment 2744
Looks like USAF enlisted dorms (1990-00s), except the bathroom contained a shower stall and a sink. Rooms were slightly larger, as well -- but built for 2 to a room, 4 to a bathroom.

Just want to pause here for a moment to note that we're having a lengthy discussion of bathroom facilities on Sci-Fi space ships.

And this is perfectly normal.
That's because "when you gotta go" ... it's best to not need to go too far, or need to stand outside the (sliding) door doing a dance waiting for your turn to use the fresher facilities.

A little more progress. Went with the elevator to save space and explanations.
Freed up enough room in the foredeck to get a third stateroom and an office (an extension of the Captain's Quarters).

Had to add a section view of the emergency elevator-bypass hatches because it's just weird.
The dead-end hatch on the bottom deck actually goes to the starboard stateroom on the foredeck; it's only showing as a dead-end to make clear it doesn't provide access to the crawl-space under the foredeck.
The other hatches on the section view are for laser turret access -- the dashed outlines in the foredeck's aft staterooms are actually in the "attic space" above those rooms.

Vague grey lines on the lower deck are the boundaries of the flat floor.Plans Quarter.jpg
Edit: It works better when I actually include the attachment...

Last edited:
More progress, I think. Trying to keep as much of the topography of the original plans as possible (there's a loop of corridor around the power plant, keep that) but I'm getting a really strong "no user serviceable parts inside" vibe from the Jump Drive layout and that doesn't sit well with me.

Might have to shift the "firewall" (front bulkhead of the drive bay) aft by one square from where it "should" be in order to clear the Ship's Boat's cargo hatch. It's already moved forward from where it was on the FASA plans because the bottom deck has a notch taken out of it for the Ship's Boat.

Capture.JPG

Here's the issue with the ship's boat hatches:
Plans Quarter 2 snip.jpg
(Never mind the iris valve in the attic; I mistakenly thought the turret access would have to be from there, but it doesn't need to be. Work in progress and all that...)

Traditional solution: Put a hatch in the deck of the ship, and don't worry about it...

Working solution: Extend a structure down beside the Boat, with an elevator up to the ship. (And an emergency hatch somewhere.) If you want to handle larger items of cargo, such as containers or vehicles, add a wider cargo lift from the Boats cargo hatch up to the ship, and for bonus points to the vehicle garage.

Wacky solution: Rotate the Boat on its side so access points are straight up, access it with hatches (and a cargo crane) from above. Gravity is just a minor nuisance?

The hatch could be in the roof of the cockpit of the small boat or place a 1 square hallway to either side to depict the clamping mechanism and 'gangway'?

I didn't explain the "problem" well enough. I'm already implying that the boat rotates to align the hatches (which in this drawing are actually on the far side of the boat). That's not the problem.

The problem is that the when it does so, the aft 1.5m of its cargo bay door opens directly into the jump drive (or at least the bulkheads surrounding it).

There's still a 3m x 3m opening exposed though.Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Option 1: Build the launch to bypass the issue
Option 2: Move the launch forward so it clears the engine room completely
Option 3: Move the engine room back to make clearance for the boat's hatch.

Remember, you have the 20% rule when designing a floorplan for the ship.

Back