• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: Fixing the Type T Deck Plans?

Re-reading: I think I misunderstood; it looks like you're suggesting to move that stateroom from the foredeck to upper-mid-deck with the rest.
Aside from losing most of the aft common area (which could be an acceptable tradeoff), that works.

Yes, quite, that is what I meant. You gain a slight amount of usable space...

The lower cargo hold is almost entirely a carry-over from the source plans, aside from slightly re-sizing the elevator and moving the low passage berths there from next to the bridge (seriously, WTF was up with that?)
As you have noticed, the narrow space just behind the bridge is difficult to use. That might be a reason to stuff the low berths there. It's not like the corpsicles will complain...

The doors of the storage lockers should be airtight, and probably are. It might indeed be better to put them in the same airtight compartment as the troop quarters, though.
By convention, from S7 I believe, only bulkheads, hatches, and iris valves are air-tight. Interior walls and sliding doors are not. I would read that as not air-tight by the map symbols.

As you have noticed, the narrow space just behind the bridge is difficult to use. That might be a reason to stuff the low berths there. It's not like the corpsicles will complain...
That's not the problem.

The problem is that if the potential ice zombies are prisoners, and decide to violently avoid zombification at the last minute, they're right next to the bridge at that point. Security risk.

I also appear to have shorted the quarters space by about 12Td. :(
No?

The ship should have 12 staterooms and four low berths = 12 × 4 Dt + 4 × 0.5 Dt = 48 + 2 = 50 Dt accommodations.

The front "flight crew" deck is about 14 Dt, the crew deck 20 Dt, and the troop deck 20 Dt for a total of 54 Dt?

That is well within 10% and quite good enough?

The problem is that if the potential ice zombies are prisoners, and decide to violently avoid zombification at the last minute, they're right next to the bridge at that point. Security risk.
I was thinking more of medical emergencies than prisoners, but sure they can be prisoners too.

We have troops, and if we use them for the intended purpose, they tend to get shot at... Any casualties that the navy medic can't fix are routinely frozen for thawing and treatment at the next navy base?

You have a med bay, so next to the med bay with direct access seems reasonable?

There are only 6.25Td ahead of the crew quarters (excluding the flight deck and bubbles); the crew quarters between the computer and the level-split are only 9.25Td after clipping the top and bottom corners -- and then that area loses 2Td to the laser turrets!

I was thinking more of medical emergencies than prisoners, but you are right.

You have a med bay, so next to the med bay with direct access seems reasonable?
That's where I'm going with that (I'm writing up my to-do notes before calling it a night here).

There are only 6.25Td ahead of the crew quarters (excluding the flight deck and bubbles); the crew quarters between the computer and the level-split are only 9.25Td after clipping the top and bottom corners -- and then that area loses 2Td to the laser turrets!
Everything ahead of the attic can be considered a pyramid that's 6m x 8.34m by 45m, with the corners beveled, plus the flight deck. Works out to 49Td plus the flight deck.

6.25Td ahead of the crew quarters. 9.25Td in the forward crew quarters, 32.5Td in the aft crew quarters (both decks) up to just behind the front end of the attic. That leaves about 6Td of staterooms behind that plane, plus 2 turrets that are partly inside the hull. Maybe plus 2Td of low berths. My original drawing wasn't all that far off. Putting some "bridge" tonnage into the crawlspaces above and below the decks could justify expanding the crew quarters aft a bit -- and as you note, it's well within the allowable fudge factor in any case.

And I really overdid the barracks. I've got two 4Td bays, when each bay is supposed to represent "the room itself" for one double-occupancy stateroom (that is, 2Td and a bit for the room, plus another 2Td for shared space). I'll split one for quarters for the medic and troop commander -- though in practice they get taken over by gunners because the troop commander bunks with the troops and the medic already has a stateroom upstairs.

Last edited:
Nose Demo.jpg
Flight crew deck: approx 3.5 squares wide by 8 squares long = 3.5 × 8 = 28 squares ≈ 14 Dton?

Top Mid Demo.jpg
Crew deck: Approx. 5 × 8 squares = 40 squares ≈ 20 Dt?

Sure, if the deck height isn't 3 m it's a bit smaller, but we presumably need the "between the decks" space for plumbing and life support. We can stuff that in the curvature of the hull, but we still need it...

6.25Td ahead of the crew quarters. 9.25Td in the forward crew quarters, 32.5Td in the aft crew quarters (both decks) up to just behind the front end of the attic.
Unless you have made the deck height very low, you still need the extra space for e.g. life support.

As I see if you have stuffed 54 Dt worth of deck area into ~42 Dt worth of hull space, out of an allocated 50 Dt accommodations.

The remaining ~8 Dt worth of plumbing and life support equipment still needs to be in the hull somewhere. It can be hidden in the curvature of the hull, in the wings, or even engineering, but it is still needed.

My point is that you don't get more deck area (with reasonable deck height) than you already have drawn. Double occupancy is quite squeezed with only 2 Dt ≈ 28 m3 space ≈ 9 m2 (≈ 100 sq.ft.) floor area per person...

Last edited:
Unless you have made the deck height very low, you still need the extra space for e.g. life support.
It is. At the back of the computer in the nose/foredeck, the entire deck is a little over 2.1m thick. You have to duck to get into the flight deck bubbles! I'm not at all sure that the flight deck geometry actually works out, but I'm carrying it forward from the source plans on a "rule of cool" basis. Honestly, it's more that I don't really want to deal with it in detail...

In the quarters section of the foredeck ahead of the elevator, about 1/2 deck square width (equivalent) on each side is lost to the corner bevels. It doesn't show on the plans because the horizontal slice is taken at the hull centerline.

Realistically, the perimeter squares (or at least .75m from the hull sides) should be storage lockers or electronics (bridge tonnage) since they're not full height anyhow. I think this is where they got the idea of having the low berths in the nose -- they're the only discrete ship component that could plausibly fit there! (Bridge tonnage would also work, but I suspect it was an artistic decision to keep from having a visually overwhelming -- but actually not that large -- chunk of electronics up front.)

Rev 1 to the crew quarters.
Low-res, 1/2"=1.5m, for printing on 8.5x11" sheets. Demo, not final.

Spaces behind "access panels" on the foredeck are cabinets. (AHL doesn't have a "cabinet door" symbol.)
These cabinets are height-limited by the hull cross-section.

Ceiling hatch in aft corridor leads to crawlspace in attic.

Note that there are two more flight crew staterooms on the lower level.

Foredeck and upper crew quarters:

Flight Crew Demo 2.jpg:

Rev 1 to the crew quarters, Part 2.

Troop Quarters:
Forward two staterooms are for gunners, though the ship's medic may swap with a gunner if patients in the med bay require attention.
Barracks section is an 8-man open-bay barracks.
The head opposite it is for multiple users simultaneously ("gym locker room/bathroom").
Low Berths are accessed from the Ready Room; both hatches are normally locked.
The "Ready Room" is also the reception area. It can be depressurized independently for use as an airlock exiting through the ship's boat passenger access iris valve in the floor, or to the cargo bay, if necessary.
The port airlock exits to folding stairs that extend to tarmac level.
The starboard airlock exits to a telescoping docking tube. The starboard landing gear include magnetic grapples for docking to other ships.
Troop Quarters Demo2.jpg

Rev 1 to the crew quarters, Part 3.

Longitudinal axial section, nose.

Nose Profile Demo.jpg

Rev 1 to the crew quarters, Part 4.

Longitudinal axial section, midsection:
Mid Side Demo.jpg

Rev 1 to the crew quarters, Part 5.

Longitudinal axial section, aft section:
Aft Side Demo.jpg

It occurs to me that I probably ought to add an alternate docking station for the Ship's Boat on top of the Attic deck. After repositioning the Boat to the alternate docking station, the Patrol Cruiser can then dock belly-to against a standard highport loading bay and use the normal Ship's Boat access doors for direct cargo and personnel loading.

This alternate docking station can't be used during flight (limits ship to 2G and precludes Jump, and also blocks the GCarrier bay hatch); it is only to have a place to put the Boat while the Patrol Cruiser is docked to a highport loading bay.

How about an emergency hatch between the crew deck and troop deck?

Something like this?
Mid Side Demo.jpg

It would simplify evacuations either to the boat or up through the attic crawlspace, especially if power is out?

It would simplify evacuations either to the boat or up through the attic crawlspace, especially if power is out?
Problem: the floor/ceiling in that section is quite thin, as the ductwork/plumbing/electrical/HVAC is pushed to the exterior surfaces (floor of lower deck, ceiling of upper deck) to facilitate extending the length of the level deck surfaces farther out into the nose section. On the other hand, a hatch could probably be fit in between the exposed ceiling joists of the lower deck*. It's not a bad idea; I'm just not sure it's necessary. In addition to the elevator and bypass hatches up front, there are the freight elevator and inter-deck iris valves at the aft end of the cargo hold.

------------
*And thanks for making me visualize this. I'm seeing the lower deck ceiling as looking a little bit industrial, with exposed conduits and ducts in between a grid of ceiling joists -- my original concept was just a flat metal surface, perhaps with a thin layer of high-tech insulating and sound-dampening material. In normal ship designs, those bits are hidden above a false ceiling.

Waiting for additional feedback, if any. In the meantime, it's close enough to "done" that I can start in on the reason I went down this rabbit hole in the first place -- the Yacht Conversion of the Type T Patrol Cruiser.

Honestly, it's not going to be very "yacht-like". Silk purse, sow's ear -- that kind of thing. In the universe of my PbP, it's at least third-hand: A Navy (probably planetary navy since it's not that advanced) ship design, in use by the IISS because they need Jump-3 for this part of space and 4G because Boughene/Regina (SM1904) is at the bottom of a gas giant's gravity well -- then requisitioned by the Knight of Boughene for use as a VIP transport.

The Type Y "payload" is 40Td as 10 staterooms (7 for guests, 2 for the owner, 1 for a steward), plus vehicles and cargo. I'll dispense with the ATV and Air/Raft, and swap in a "Limo" that's either a re-skinned GCarrier or a Speeder with a quarter of an Air/raft grafted into the middle (I'll work that bit out later -- either way, it fits in the GCarrier bay). Fortunately, the Type T has 2 staterooms that can be freed up by sending the ship's troops home, so the conversion package only needs 32Td out of the cargo bay.

My main constraint here is that no bulkheads can be removed, and no additional openings can be cut in decks or bulkheads. Additionally, access to the missile turrets and drive bay cannot be impaired. In theory, all components of the conversion need to be able to fit through the Ship's Boat cargo bay door (3m x 6m) and anything going into the former troop quarters needs to fit through an iris valve. I'm not going to worry about that very much, though (implying high-tech ship-in-a-bottle skills here).

Last edited:
Back