• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: Fixing the Type T Deck Plans?

Top Deck (Attic).
Low-res, 1/2"=1.5m, for printing on 8.5x11" sheets. Demo, not final.

This is above the upper cargo hold and upper drive bay (the preceding two sections).

Forward floor hatch accesses the aft flight crew quarters (upper-mid-deck) just ahead of the airlock to the cargo bay. This is a crawl space, not full height.

The space between the missile turrets (port and starboard grey circles) is the missile magazine. The indicated access panels allow passing ordnance from the magazine to the turrets.

The 3m square lavender space in the loading bay is the freight elevator. The entire roof of this space opens up to the outside. The floor iris valve, starboard, connects to the upper cargo hold deck. The floor hatch, port, connects to the upper drive bay.

By going from the forward floor hatch, through the missile magazine and loading bay, to the aft floor hatch, it is possible to reach the drive bay from the flight crew quarters without passing through the cargo bay.

The aft compartment contains a standard GCarrier. The aft 4.5m of the roof and side walls of this space open as a clamshell door.

Attic Demo.jpg

Lower Mid-Deck (Ship's Troops Barracks, Lower Cargo Hold). Low-res, 1/2"=1.5m, for printing on 8.5x11" sheets. Demo, not final.
This is located directly below the Upper Mid-Deck (Flight Crew Quarters, Upper Cargo Hold) and behind/offset-down from the Bridge/Foredeck.

The elevator (lavender square) provides access to the Bridge/Foredeck section and the Upper Mid-Deck.

The forward space, accessed by the access panel in the portside troop barracks room, is a crawlspace.

The hatch to starboard of the elevator in the starboard troop barracks room, is high on the wall and provides access to the port aft stateroom in the bridge/foredeck section. It is only shown as "dead-ending" to make clear that it does not provide access to the forward crawlspace. This hatch is remotely locked unless the elevator is inoperative.

Each troop barracks room houses four personnel.

The WC (water closet/restroom) in the port aft end of the barracks section is designed for multiple personnel.

There are two pairs of two low passage berths each, port and starboard just inside the cargo hold.

The floor iris valve between them provides access to the Ship's Boat, when docked. Otherwise, it opens to the outside.

Behind that are two equipment storage lockers, port and starboard.

Outboard of each of the lockers is an airlock that exits under the wing.

The 3m x 3m lavender square is a freight elevator. Under it, and extending to the grey outline on the cargo bay floor, is a cargo hatch that provides access to the Ship's Boat's cargo bay, when docked. Otherwise, it opens to the outside for cargo loading. Note that when the ship has landed, the lower halves of the wingtip fins fold under the wings, their tips have about 1.5m clearance from the docked ship's boat, and the tips are just behind the plane of the drive bay "firewall".

The ceiling forward and to port of the cargo hatch can be removed/retracted to provide clearance for oversized cargo from the Ship's Boat (see upper cargo hold description for details).

The ceiling iris valves at the aft end of the cargo hold provide access to the upper cargo hold. There is no access to the drive bay from the lower cargo hold.

Lower Mid Demo.jpg

Lower Drive Bay. Low-res, 1/2"=1.5m, for printing on 8.5x11" sheets. Demo, not final.

This is located aft of the Lower Mid-Deck and below the Upper Drive Bay.

There is no access to the Lower Mid-Deck (cargo hold) from the Lower Drive Bay.

The open area in the main Jump Drive unit (the big block in the middle) is only accessible from the Upper Drive bay through the ceiling iris valve.

The ceiling iris valves port and starboard, aft, provide access to the Upper Drive Bay.

All heavy machinery on this deck is Jump Drives, except for the Maneuver Drives at the outer edges of the aft end of the bay.

The iris valve at the aft end of the drive bay does not provide exterior access. (It's only there because the FASA plans had one there; honestly, I have no idea what the point of it was.)

Lower Drive Demo.jpg

Ship's Boat. Low-res, 1/2"=1.5m, for printing on 8.5x11" sheets. Demo, not final.

This is normally carried under the hull, below the Lower Cargo Hold and the Lower Drive Deck.

It is usually oriented so the deck is aligned with the ship's deck. In this orientation, access to the ship is through the ceiling hatch behind the flight deck, into the iris valve between the Low Passage Berths in the lower cargo hold. The boat's cargo bay door and airlock open to the exterior.

For cargo transfer, it can be oriented so the airlock and cargo door mate with the iris valve and cargo door in the lower cargo hold. In this orientation, the artificial gravity in the boat and cargo hold are usually set to zero-G. In this orientation, the ceiling hatch opens to the exterior.

This is a standard Ship's Boat from Supp. 7, Traders and Gunboats. The only modification is the addition of a ceiling hatch behind the flight deck, and that's only there so you don't have to explain all the 0-G gymnastics needed to deal with the boat being at right angles to the rest of the ship.Boat Demo.jpg

Last edited:
The frontmost stateroom creates a lot of wasted corridor space:
Nose Demo.jpg

If you moved that rear (up?) you get a somewhat smaller crew lounge, but a much larger officer lounge? Perhaps move the office opposite the fresher, or just forward adjacent the fresher?

There is some space for a stateroom, with less wasted corridor space here?
Top Mid Demo.jpg

That way you get slightly more total free space?

Last edited:
If you moved the lower airlock one hex back you would get a direct airlock for the boat hatch, or ventral exterior airlock when the boat is not docked?
Lower Mid Demo.jpg

It's a bit weird to have the personnel access in the cargo bay?

If you put the mid deck airlock in the same position, you could add a deck hatch to make it an airlocked central access shaft, without losing any space?

When working on a design, you usually find a better way to do something the original designer didn't think of. Heck, that's why I have several designs of the same ship. I step back and look at something and said, "wait a minute.." . So pat yourself on the back and put it the design to make it your own. :)

The lower cargo hold seems overly complicated?

Top Mid Demo2.jpgLower Mid Demo-1.jpg
Dual ventral airlocks from the cargo hold?
Storage lockers exposed to the outside atmo when you open the cargo hatch/elevator?
Crew climbing over cargo to access the turrets when Action Stations are called?

How about:
removing the airlocks,
moving one low berth compartment on top of the other,
access from the med bay to the low berth compartment for stowing med emergencies,
a ventral airlock in the vacated low compartment,
move the storage locker space to on top of the new airlock?

That would give you two almost identical cargo decks, that you could potentially make into a single double height cargo deck?

When working on a design, you usually find a better way to do something the original designer didn't think of. Heck, that's why I have several designs of the same ship. I step back and look at something and said, "wait a minute.." .
You can always tinker with something, especially with deck plans... Ships are never truly completed.

The central personnel access shaft would become something like this:
Side View.jpg
Allowing access from the boat to the marine deck and/or the crew deck as needed.

The dorsal crawlspace could be an emergency airlock, I don't see any other dorsal airlocks?

Last edited:
This is the kind of feedback I was seeking. Thank you.
<Nose/Foredeck plans were here>
If you moved that rear (up?) you get a somewhat smaller crew lounge, but a much larger officer lounge? Perhaps move the office opposite the fresher, or just forward adjacent the fresher?
Ok, I think I see what you're getting at. Move the stateroom aft 1.5m, and swap the office for the restroom. This moves the wardroom up to the bridge bulkhead. That's workable.

The office was specifically located next to a stateroom to provide additional room to a cabin that's lost some space to the clipping of the hull outer corners. Also, it gives the office two exits, which is helpful for personnel counseling sessions potentially going awry.
There is some space for a stateroom, with less wasted corridor space here?
<Upper Mid-Deck plans were here>
Ah, move that stateroom from the foredeck into the upper mid-deck, and have a large common area on the foredeck. Could work. I'm trying to minimize traffic through the elevator though.

I'd considered having both of those staterooms (foredeck and upper-mid), but I would have needed one more than that for the gunners to un-double-bunk.

The lower cargo hold seems overly complicated?
<Cargo hold plans were here>
Dual ventral airlocks from the cargo hold?
Storage lockers exposed to the outside atmo when you open the cargo hatch/elevator?
Crew climbing over cargo to access the turrets when Action Stations are called?
The lower cargo hold is almost entirely a carry-over from the source plans, aside from slightly re-sizing the elevator and moving the low passage berths there from next to the bridge (seriously, WTF was up with that?)

The doors of the storage lockers should be airtight, and probably are. It might indeed be better to put them in the same airtight compartment as the troop quarters, though.

On a clean-sheet redesign, I'd provide turret access from the attic deck instead.
I don't see any other dorsal airlocks?
Closest thing to that is the loading bay in the attic.

Ok, I think I see what you're getting at. Move the stateroom aft 1.5m, and swap the office for the restroom. This moves the wardroom up to the bridge bulkhead. That's workable.
Turns out it isn't, the SR blocks the hallway then (or the wardroom becomes inconveniently shaped).

When working on a design, you usually find a better way to do something the original designer didn't think of. Heck, that's why I have several designs of the same ship. I step back and look at something and said, "wait a minute.." . So pat yourself on the back and put it the design to make it your own. :)
On this one, I'm trying to keep the changes to the minimum necessary for it to make sense.

Re-reading: I think I misunderstood; it looks like you're suggesting to move that stateroom from the foredeck to upper-mid-deck with the rest.
Aside from losing most of the aft common area (which could be an acceptable tradeoff), that works.

And a separate office up there is not practical if it's to have a space for all of the flight crew to gather, alas.
Nose Up Mid Demo.jpg

Counter-proposal.

index.php
>>--->
xrYTODv.png

No point in segregating "officer country" away from the ratings when you've got a crew of 10 or less, particularly if they're all being forced (by the design) to share communal freshers anyway.

By the way, those L-shaped freshers would be able to accommodate an honest to goodness SHOWER plus proper toilet and sink.
Spaces marked L are Lockers (take your pick of contents).

Tried to keep the proportions the same (1 square outboard for every 12 squares of longtitude) so you can more easily see the difference that NOT wasting space (where you have no space to waste!) can make.

Counter-proposal.
Observations:

An officer/ratings split isn't really happening in my version, though there is a flight crew/ship's troops split.

Credit for giving everyone their own room. I reluctantly went with the LBB2 description that had the gunners double-bunked; at least they get the largest rooms (but not by much).

For most of the flight crew, the bathrooms are, awkwardly, on the far side of the elevator.

There are doors on all four sides of the elevator. Not sure how the geometry of that works out. I'm already having mild suspension-of-disbelief issues with the forward (foredeck) elevator door since there's nowhere for it to slide into. Up/down split? It presents a tripping hazard if you don't wait for the door to open all the way.... Roll-top-desk split vertically, then? The doors to the mid-decks can go sideways to port, away from the stacked elevator bypass hatches.

I reluctantly went with the LBB2 description that had the gunners double-bunked; at least they get the largest rooms (but not by much).
I also appear to have shorted the quarters space by about 12Td. :(
Pushing the cargo hold bulkhead back 3m on both decks solves the problem, but makes the cargo hold a bit undersized unless you count the space in the attic (magazine, loading bay, GCarrier access path). It also suggests relocating the "ready room" in the troop's quarters to the aft end of the lower mid-deck, where it doubles as a reception area since the ship's boat's airlock or roof hatch would open into it.

I also appear to have shorted the quarters space by about 12Td. :(
That error crept in because I had to balance the living quarters with the cargo bay, before I discovered the 3m chunk they cut out from wingtip to wingtip. That 3m let me slide the drive bay aft, but I didn't connect the extra space that provided with the compromise I'd made between the quarters and the cargo hold.

Also, the troop bilge only needs to have 16Td of stateroom space, but has 20Td allocated (before knocking out the wall to the cargo hold -- when fixed, it'll be about 25-30Td). Maybe the gunner staterooms go there!

Back to the drawing board...

Last edited:
Back