• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Mongoose - traveller returns

Eamonn

SOC-1
I apologise if this is posted elsewhere but what do folks think about this announcement:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/n...66&PHPSESSID=afdf078423b011c63e40e5ca192c0eba

Its long but starts

"After a near 10-year gap in which only reprints of the Traveller game system
have been available, Mongoose Publishing becomes the centralised resource
for Traveller titles with the publication of their core rule book Traveller:
Science-Fiction Adventures in the Far Future, in February 2008. On this
foundation, Mongoose will produce a supporting line of supplements,
adventures, and sourcebooks detailing the official and original Traveller
universe of the far future."

Given mongoose's experiance with Runequest I am feel quite positive about it.

I'd have to agree that this has a lot of potential, but I thought that a 5th edition was already being written by Marc Miller? Or are they going to be done side by side? It'll be interesting to see which version will be better, but I know which one my money will b on!

Well I was going to wait to announce this at 9am EST, but since it's already been announced by Mongoose ;)

Wait a minute.

It is our aim to halt the fragmentation of the Traveller game, and reintroduce one solid system (based on Classic Traveller), with one source for the official Traveller universe.

What does this mean for QLI and SJG?

Also is this ACT under a different guise? Knowing MJD's previous links with Mongoose it seems entirely possible.

This is not to say I'm not excited.:)

Here's hoping they actually have some decent proof readers this time round.:mad:

Well happy and looking forward to T5 even more.

What does this mean for QLI and SJG?

Our current licenses will not be extended beyond their current terms, in the case of T20 this is not for another few years. After that we can convert to a Traveller license from Mongoose allowing us to continue to develop OTU material but using the Mongoose ruleset. We'll also be able to develop material for T5 as well through Marc.

As for what happens to the T20 rules when the license expires, I'll have more on that later ;)

Also is this ACT under a different guise? Knowing MJD's previous links with Mongoose it seems entirely possible.

It will be based on CT, but with T5 in mind as well. Think of the Mongoose rules as the 'basic' rules and T5 as the 'advanced' rules. As for it being related to ACT, no.

I'd have to agree that this has a lot of potential, but I thought that a 5th edition was already being written by Marc Miller? Or are they going to be done side by side? It'll be interesting to see which version will be better, but I know which one my money will b on!

The Mongoose rules will be the 'basic' rules set to T5's 'advanced' rules is my understanding from Marc.

I apologise if this is posted elsewhere but what do folks think about this announcement:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/n...66&PHPSESSID=afdf078423b011c63e40e5ca192c0eba

I'm sure it'll be good, but the press release didn't scan well:
  • They say for the past 10 years there were only reprints available. That ignores T20 and GT unless you limit the scope of the statement to CT ... but that still ignores BITS products (that are system agnostic).

• They say their aim is to halt the fragmentation of Traveller. Yet they are releasing a game system shortly after and separate from T5 (albeit a subset of T5). They'll release it under an OG licence and support non-OTU backgrounds. How does that halt fragmentation? And what does that mean for T20 and GT, are those licences to be cancelled?

Slightly confusing. More so for people not as familiar with Traveller's publishing history (potential new players).

Regards PLST

[EDIT]Okay, QLI's status was answered while I was writing this.

Last edited:
Wow.... Hunter you sneaky devil... did a good job skirting the issue at RPGnet ;)

I hope this bodes well for QLI and Avenger, as I enjoy your products... :)

Wow.... Hunter you sneaky devil... did a good job skirting the issue at RPGnet ;)

It was hard not to let the cat out of the bag. I wasn't supposed to announce until 9am this morning, but since it had already been posted on the Mongoose forums and a copy already posted here...

I hope this bodes well for QLI and Avenger, as I enjoy your products... :)

We'll still be here producing OTU material both while our current license is in effect (for a few years yet) and then under the Mongoose Traveller logo license. As for T20, we will continue to support it as well during the remainder of the license, but there might be some changes ;)

Interesting news indeed. My favourite games all under one producer, RQ and Traveller..........mmm? is it another evil empire forming.

Sincerely hope that the Traveller rules are better written than the MRQ ones, which frankly were pretty damn poor. The standard of the editing was dreadful and although the Gloranthan supplements have been much improved having to buy several thin volumes just to gather enough basic rules to actually play was pretty annoying and expensive to boot.

The bid to end the fractionating of Traveller is a good one, I just think we will have to make it a compulsory purchase and that all previous versions will have to be collected in :).

Anyway all in all now I've got three new versions of Traveller to look forward too in the next 6 months or so! (Traveller Hero, T5 and MT...oh wait don't we already have an MT?)

Well I love the Conan, Slaine(d20) and Starship Troopers games by Mongoose, however the new RuneQuest seems a bit of a mess, especially combat so I'm a bit worried.
At the moment I'm using a mix of SST and T20 to put together a campaign and I like both games, I dont really see the need for change so I'm a bit concerned especially seeing how underwhelmed I was by MRQ.

(BTW RQ has an SRD like D20 so anyone who is interested in checking out the RuneQuest rules.)

I for one dont really mind the fragmentation as people can choose the system they like to play the game. However it would probably be more economically sound to have the one system.

We'll still be here producing OTU material both while our current license is in effect (for a few years yet) and then under the Mongoose Traveller logo license. As for T20, we will continue to support it as well during the remainder of the license, but there might be some changes ;)

I do hope you'll be able to elaborate soon... will you be working in conjunction with Mongoose perhaps, or simply be a licensee... ?

Will QLI material be released with Tri stats? :eek: (CT, T20 MGT)

I do hope you'll be able to elaborate soon... will you be working in conjunction with Mongoose perhaps, or simply be a licensee... ?

I'll work with Mongoose any way I can. I've offered them any support we can give them as far as CotI goes. And yes we'll likely pick up a TTL license from Mongoose even though our own license still has a few years to go.

Let me just make clear, we are not abandoning or altering our support for T20 in any way.

Will QLI material be released with Tri stats? :eek: (CT, T20 MGT)

As far as I have been told there will not be any dual stats done. Likely we will either release rule specific editions or rules free editions.

I'll work with Mongoose any way I can. I've offered them any support we can give them as far as CotI goes.

This should be interesting for COTI... I can't see the Traveller community moving to the Mongoose forums... not with the shiny new boards here :)

What time frame is MGT gonna use? 1248? What locations...?

Do you know? Can you tell us? Can the Cat come out and play? ;)

I'm very curious what this could mean for Stellar Reaches and similar potential 3rd-party efforts. I definitely am looking forward to more news on this matter. These are very exciting times! :)

With Regards,
Flynn

I'm very curious what this could mean for Stellar Reaches and similar potential 3rd-party efforts. I definitely am looking forward to more news on this matter. These are very exciting times! :)

With Regards,
Flynn

Ditto what Flynn said. With an OGL and TLL involved with this effort, I'm going to have to rethink my small business plan.

Back