• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Uniforms

As for uniforms, how about the new Battlestar Galactica TV series? The fighter/spacesuits appear to be in the Tl 12-13 level. The flap over the right breast is similar to B5, ST-TWOK era uniforms, etc.

For the anti-Francophiles, consider that the beret is just about the only type of hat that could be worn under the bubble-helmet that is soooo beloved by the pulp illustrator. The only other one that comes to mind is that cap that folds into a flat 'envelope.' The name escapes me...

Originally posted by Fritz88:
Your scouts wear leather chaps?! Are they also required to join the YMCA?
Chaps are worn by Scouts ONLY when accompanied by Imperial Marines with Feathered Ceremonial War Bonnet, Naval Officers in flight helmets and mirrored data-shades, etc...

Originally posted by Zutroi:
The only other one that comes to mind is that cap that folds into a flat 'envelope.' The name escapes me...
It's called a Garrison Cap. During WW2, they were sometimes called "Overseas" caps.

IMTU Scouts have uniforms, though they have a lot of leeway in exactly what they wear. They do, however, have a dress uniform which generally only ever gets worn by the Admin types.

Field dress tends to a sort of khaki trousers with a black stripe down the outseam (some have cargo type pockets added to the front of the thigh), cavalry style boots, and a synthileather bomber type jacket. The shirt is brown or black, but in reality can be anything from a tube to a jersey. The hat is either a baseball style hat or a bush hat.

The dress uniforms are black with red piping, the red sunburst on the left shoulder and the service patch on the right. Not terribly fancy, but a bit elegant in fact, since I made one of these for myself for a con some years ago. Dun think I'd make a skirt that short now though. ;)

Sorry, I screwed up somehow on the links. The internal links on the page don't, evidently, work anymore
file_28.gif
. The proper link for The Corner mentions is:
http://www.nationalreview.com/thecorner/04_01_04_corner-archive.asp
Do a find on "garrison", and the best post is the first one you will come to. The point (especially of that post) is the common name for a garrison cap, and the fact that it is universal. ;)

My guess is that the name would be common in every race of the galaxy that had ever used the cap in it's military. No other uniform part seems to have that level of universality.

Originally posted by Zutroi:
The only other one that comes to mind is that cap that folds into a flat 'envelope.' The name escapes me...
And...

It's called a Garrison Cap. During WW2, they were sometimes called "Overseas" caps.
Well, in the Marines they called them 'pisscutters'.

Shiara

Hey, on the subject of uniforms...

I've talked to my dad (David Deitrick of old school Traveller cover art and interior art fame), and I've talked him in to drawing up a series of sketches of Imperial uniforms.

And the best part is that he's still good friends with Marc Miller, so we can get some official/canon (or as close as we're going to get) word on it.

Sound cool to anyone?

Of course, probably half of everybody will just hate the drawings anyway because they don't match some obscure contradictory canon source. :D

It'll give us more to argue about.

I'll bug him until he does some drawings anyway.

Challenge (or was it TD?) Had uniforms for the Marines of the Terran Occupation Forces. That was pretty neat. And I'm sure GT:GF had some uniform pictures. (And anyone who doesn't give the Marines Pipers isn't playing in MTU! *grin*).

New sketches are always good though too.

I've spent the weekend going back through all my old Traveller books looking at the uniforms that were drawn by different artists. The Imperial Army and Navy seem to have the same BDU if you look in the Rebellion Sourcebook (pg. 41, 93, 94 by T. Peters-Navy uniforms) and p.57 by Danforth(Army Uniforms).

Also, on pages 7 and 18 of the Arrival Vengeance adventure supplement. These are all b&w drawings and no hint to what uniform color they have. From Arrival Vengeance, I'm guessing that the Navy Uniform is a dary grey in color. These uniforms I think could be used as emergency vacc suits with the addition of gloves, portible life support system, and a helmet (items not yet shown, but some system similar to what is being shown on the new Battlestar Galactica TV program for it's Viper Pilots. A removible neckring to which a helmet is later attached).

The article on Terra in Travellers Journal (I think) for MT focused on the uniforms of the occupation forces and had examples of the Marine forces uniforms. I really liked their descriptions there. Colours like white, black and maroon figured heavily. There were descriptions of insignia and differences between officers and NCOs and explanations of rank markings.

WBH had quite a few pictures of IISS personel. The IISS tailored vacc suit factored heavily into them.

Goblin,

Let me know if Dad needs me to go through some of the small presses to dig up how the Keiths visualized uniforms and whatnot. They do resemble MT but also differ in some ways. I can make a photocopy and send it off.

I might try and dress up in (MTU's) Alliance-style uniform (see the previous page) if I'll get my hands on a decent vest and arrange a nice bandana; I have available film in my camera so I may take photos of it. So if graphical design is unavailable, cosplay might come to aid...

I probably won't have a (mock-up) gun to add to the uniform as all the toy guns I had as a child are probably either broken, lost or both

Back