• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What type of TRAVELLER do you play?

What type of TRAVELLER do you play?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Merxiless:
Seems like I am the only one here that voted for T4.
Oh, I'm so sorry... :( <pat pat>

file_23.gif

Hi !

Regarding the rules you really need to play IMHO MT could be and is used by myself as it is.
Usually the only rule thing I need is the task system, followed by personal combat rules. The rest is used just rarely (trading and space combat)...

Regards,

TE

Originally posted by Malenfant:
And I don't think it's because Traveller is vaguely generic either... I know with GURPS I never modified the basic engine at all - it just worked fine out of the box, so I never had to. But with Traveller we seem to have people tweaking rules left right and centre.

I wonder if Traveller fans tweak other games that they play anywhere near as much. If they don't, then that implies that there's something specifically about Traveller that requires that it has to be modified to be playable, which is rather curious...
It might be because of the large differences in the rules systems, and people see things they like in a system and take them to their favorite system. It could also mean that they enjoy tweaking Traveller, or think that it's more worthwhile to tweak Traveller than other things.

I bet its because of the kind of people who play Trav..technology geeks who are more likely than the average person to take something apart to see how it works and put it back together in an attempt to customize it to be 'high performance'

intellectual hot rodders

Originally posted by TheEngineer:
Hi !

Regarding the rules you really need to play IMHO MT could be and is used by myself as it is.
Usually the only rule thing I need is the task system, followed by personal combat rules. The rest is used just rarely (trading and space combat)...

Regards,

TE
That's almost exactly what I do. I use MT chargen and skill mechanics, occasionally refer to a book for trade or a house rule for combat, but mostly just let characters RP and let the skill system help move that along. MT's skills really are just CT's mechanics rationalized and cleaned up a bit. And that's the best thing in MT, no doubt in my mind.

I'm just in the process of spooling up another MT game, this time over the net, using some new tools (Skype, KloogeWerks). :0)

Originally posted by flykiller:
(searching under a pile of house rules) I know I started with CT, it's in here somewhere ....
LOL! That's me, too.

I've only really played two games in any depth - Traveller and Runequest, depending whether I'm going through a Sci-fi or Fantasy phase. I've tweaked both. Generally, I pick a ruleset I'm happy with and then add to it with borrowings from the 'cast-off' games, and lots of home made rules. Yes, Hotrodding.
I personalise my characters with traits from GURPS, use Shadowrun for Sprawl background and netrunning activities, and even Car Wars for car chases. I get hardware/equipment ideas from everywhere. CT is at the core, but there is only one person who can design the perfect ruleset for MTU, and I'm STILL tweaking it after 28 years.

Hmmm... I see that CT is the most popular version of Traveller despite its age. I wonder if Mongoose Traveller would change that.

Valerian: I ported Traveller to the original WoD Vampire rules ... it's on my website...

For me, it is all about CT. Well at least 99.99% of the time. Referee poetic license and all on storylines. The sheer amount of materials out there for the game is staggering if one is will to dig through it all. About the only variation is I do occationally pull in BITS support material in for fun.

CT...may she never go quietly into the night.

I voted CT. In practice, it's "roll two dice and make something up".

I don't think I've ever really tweaked Traveller much, apart from ignoring the rules totally, in the way I mentioned above.

Same here. Started with CT, kept the "roll 2D6 and beat a 7" and left it with that.

I've played CT, MT and a modified T4, plus a house rules system. However, I voted for MT, because that's what I'm using right now.

CT...may she never go quietly into the night.

Agreed.

One of the bigger issues for me was that CT didn't have a (good) experience system...that is, until I realized that it DOES have a good experience system.

It's just hidden. The rules for experience in LBB 1-3 are for learning by yourself. That takes a long time.

Then, the rules in LBB 4 allows you to learn with someone training you, and that doesn't take near as long.

I've thrown out all house rules on experience and am now using the official CT experience rules as-is.

Why say this?

Well, I saw your comment above, and I realized that, even in something I thought was broken in CT, really wasn't. It was me. Not CT. CT had it there all the time. I just didn't see it. (And, I know many other people don't "see it" as far as experience in CT goes either.)

Now, as for Mongoose Traveller. I was skeptical at first, but I've got to say, the more I read about it, the more it sounds like it might be something to get.

Heck, I'm more excited about Mongoose Traveller than I am T5.

That's probably because it looks like Mongoose Trav is going to stick close to CT. Heck, they're looking at a 2D6, higher is better, dice mechanic!

That's EXCELLENT, in my book.

T5, last I heard, is stickin' by that damn T4 mechanic.

I don't care what some people say. Mechanics are important in an rpg. Heck, in this instance (with regards to me) it's one of the main deciding factors whether I'll buy the game or not!

So, yeah, my eyebrow is peaked at Mongoose Trav. They did an AWESOME job with the Conan RPG. If they do that good a job with Mongoose Trav, then I just might dive in with both feet.

And, that's saying a lot, coming from me (who's been known as a die hard CT fan to the core).

Still taking a wait-n-see approach to Mongoose Trav, but I'm optimistic.

MT+Erratta, and otherwise I just import equipment.

I actually like the vehicle generation rules, because I can doodle with them when I need the equivalent of a crossword to relax. Once you've done a few vehicles with them, you can really churn out vehicles although a spreadsheet would be nice.

I have all the LBBs but MT seems to have everything I need. My only regret is that my lovely shiny MT books are finally falling apart :(

I went for CT since it said "play" and that's what I've played most; however, when I'm running things I use GT.

I like T20

While not written to be easily read, I find T20 to be the best version of Traveller I have played or GMed, not to mention that T20 is probably one of the best D20 games in print. T20 is certainly the only D20 game I've played where multi-level characters, from 4th-12th, can all party together without suffering from power disparity.

My only wish is that T20 were written more clearly, and freed from some apparent contradictions.

Smeelbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back