• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Battledress a vehicle?

Way I see them and designed them was similar to the battle armor of Heinlien, etc. Even in CT, odds were that anything less that gauss, plasma, or fusion weapons weren't going to do much to someone in BD. It made more sense to me to design BD using the vehicle rules that trying to write it as a very different type of armor with numerous capabilities and enhancements beyond simple armor protection.

Is it perfect? Nope. But I liked it ;)

But as my sig says, feel free to change anything to fit your own vision.

Hunter

Originally posted by veltyen:
The pricing issue in T20 is that battledress can be cheaper then combat armour for greater effectiveness. The elite troop requirement (the batteldress proficiency required) makes up for that a little bit, and most BD designs will be more expensive then combat armour, but they don't need to be.

That's a big change from CT where you need the skill to use BD, as well as it being far more expensive, for no gain in protection and only small gains in other areas.

Under T20 legions of BD are the way to go if you can get hold of proficient troops. Marines should end up with BD proficiency from basic training.

In reflection of this BD proficiency is very common IMTU, and is mixed with multiple role BD and a plethora of common designs (light, medium, heavy tactical BD, scout, long scout, lobster, recovery, support, lancelot, superman) starting from TL8 or so. Items such as the walking loader from Aliens are variant BD IMTU.
Actually, the only skill needed for BD was Vacsuit in both CT and MT. The limitation of using Vacsuit for BD was that you couldn't use the PGMP-13 or FGMP-14 with it.

Originally posted by Jamus:
Most of your post I have cut as the answer is provided below.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />But you are using the servos to move you across the battlefield.
No, I am running across the battle field the sensors on the inside of my suit are relaying the needed info to the servos so that I will not be encumbered. At no time does walking or running require focused thought on operating the suit.</font>[/QUOTE]Actually running across a battlefield does require quite a bit of focused thought. In that it is similar to running across a Football Field during a game, (Either Football or Soccer, same for this purpose.) only the battlefield is far from flat and a mistep could be quite deadly instead of a simple injury.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />It isn't muscle power it is powered armor.
Actually it is both. muscle signals translated into mechanical action.</font>[/QUOTE]Which still gains you no speed.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />So please show me an example in CT where BD is worth 10 times Combat Armor.
First you are overly hung up on unit cost. perhaps the cost is kept artificially high by the imperium to dissuade private purchase? to be fair CT/MT never really did go into detail with exactly what could be on a suit of BD so your guess is as good as mine but the sky is the limit. think mini VRF point defence, built in grav belt, built in drug dispensor, laser resistant coating, high grade sensors and communications solar powerd recharg ability small built in survivor still, ect ect. If the high cost is your main complaint try justifing it. surely a 3I trooper in full BD would have more tricks than standard store bought CA.

and lastly if your response to BD is to equip everyone with tl14-15 PGMP FGMP (both would be exceedingly rare) why wear armor at all. Its not like combat armor will help if you get smacked with a PGMP. and think of the savings!

Perhaps the issue is our play styles. I run a group of traders /freelance gunslingers while you apparently run a mercenary cadre backed by a high tech world. In your game BD would not be as powerful nor as valuable but in my game where a ex marine has managed to keep a set of tl13 BD that suit is very powerful especially out on the rim where everyone is not packing a tl 15 PGMP or ACR.
</font>[/QUOTE]Actually I am not hung up on unit cost as much as I am hung up on Battledress cost effectiveness. Since you aren't going to provide an example of why BD is worth the money, I will provide one as to why it isn't.

The end all and be all of armor is likely to let the individual wearer to be taken down by a single burst from an Automatic Rifle at long range, when equipped with telescopic sights. That is a TL6 weapon. A skill level of 1 gives you a 5+ to hit and two rolls to do it with. Then 3D against a single random 2D physical stat, (first hit) generally reducing that stat to 0 and your target unconscious. Higher tech weapons are even more dangerous. The end all and be all of personal armor in CT would allow a WWII Platoon to wipe out a TL15 Marine squad, especially if the WWII platoon was in a defensive position, in a matter of less than one combat round. I find that not a very effective use of your military budget. This isn't a high tech Merc unit. This is common garden variety bandits on a backwater world. (TL-5 Rifles are not quite as good but they aren't bad.)

And your rule for running for an unlimited distance? Where did that come from? I have looked through LBB1-6. The only CT rules I come up with for Battledress and Endurance are from LBB1 page 42.

The individual wearing Battledress is effectively doubled in strength and given unlimited endurance (for lifting, carrying and fighting purposes; not for wounds received)
Where does that say move at full speed for an unlimited distance? I can't even find Endurance rules that apply to fatigue except for the number of blows that can be struck in combat at full strength. LBB1 Page 35.

Oh and for rules on sensors that can be in BD you have to advance to MT, and those same sensors can be mounted in the helmet of Combat Armor. Though in MT Combat armor and BD will resist small arms fire all day long. (They still do so equally.) I personally think the MT rules went too far the other way on armor capabilities.

Hunter's Battledress as a vehicle provides more of a reason to actually bother with Battledress. It is also the first set of Battledress that is actually, rules wise, capable of what you described as BD being capable of.

Originally posted by hunter:
Way I see them and designed them was similar to the battle armor of Heinlien, etc. Even in CT, odds were that anything less that gauss, plasma, or fusion weapons weren't going to do much to someone in BD. It made more sense to me to design BD using the vehicle rules that trying to write it as a very different type of armor with numerous capabilities and enhancements beyond simple armor protection.

Is it perfect? Nope. But I liked it ;)

But as my sig says, feel free to change anything to fit your own vision.

Hunter
Actually in CT standard bullet launchers are sufficient to take down someone in BD. It isn't until MT that armor becomes more than just a little effective.

Originally posted by BetterThanLife:
The end all and be all of armor is likely to let the individual wearer to be taken down by a single burst from an Automatic Rifle at long range, when equipped with telescopic sights. That is a TL6 weapon. A skill level of 1 gives you a 5+ to hit and two rolls to do it with. Then 3D against a single random 2D physical stat, (first hit) generally reducing that stat to 0 and your target unconscious. Higher tech weapons are even more dangerous. The end all and be all of personal armor in CT would allow a WWII Platoon to wipe out a TL15 Marine squad, especially if the WWII platoon was in a defensive position, in a matter of less than one combat round. I find that not a very effective use of your military budget. This isn't a high tech Merc unit. This is common garden variety bandits on a backwater world. (TL-5 Rifles are not quite as good but they aren't bad.)

A couple of things - no way could you fire an autoburst sighted through a telescopic sight IMHO.
I allow telescopic sights to only get their modifier for single shots (can you fit a telescopic sight to an autorifle? the rules only mention rifles and carbines ;)
file_23.gif
); and is the Battle Dressed trooper standing still or evading?

One big advantage of battledress over unpowered troops is the strength enhancement.

It doesn't show up if all you're carrying is a rifle and some bullets, but a typical infantry load is going to hit the strength limits fairly quickly.

Consider jump troops: personal weapon plus ammunition, grenades, food, possibly spare oxygen, medical equipment, ammunition for the support weapons, anti-armor weapons. Some troops will be carrying fire control terminals, map boxes and more powerful sensors and commo than are built into the suits. Then there are specialized troops; engineers and support gunners that will also be carrying heavy loads.

If your troops are expected to operate without vehicle support for any length of time, personal loads add up rather quickly.

Battledress offers advantages in opening doors and valves in boarding actions and if your style extends to cutlasses, BD troopers *shine*

The diffrence between Battle Dress and Combat armor.

The person in battledress will not take stamina damage from a hit (That dosn't penatrate).

While the one in Armor WILL or that is how I read the damage rules.

that realy CHANAGES a fire fight.

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BetterThanLife:

A couple of things - no way could you fire an autoburst sighted through a telescopic sight IMHO.
I allow telescopic sights to only get their modifier for single shots (can you fit a telescopic sight to an autorifle? the rules only mention rifles and carbines ;)
file_23.gif
); and is the Battle Dressed trooper standing still or evading?
</font>[/QUOTE]OK Rifle Stats. 8+ (41.6667%) with a skill level of only 1. (Now we are down to TL5.) And our Marine is running across the battlefield not thinking about where he is going.

Originally posted by Savar:
The diffrence between Battle Dress and Combat armor.

The person in battledress will not take stamina damage from a hit (That dosn't penatrate).

While the one in Armor WILL or that is how I read the damage rules.

that realy CHANAGES a fire fight.
This is true in T20, not in CT. And I agree. Like I said Better Protection for a larger size (Stock BD), is a good trade off. T20 actually makes Battledress worth having and sets it apart, in the rules, from Combat Armor. Actually being able to put all those Sensors and stealth systems in, as well as improve mobility of Battledress Troops vs. Combat Armor Troops is a wonderful addition to the rules. IMTU Imperial Marine BattleDress does cost, in the KCr200-300 range (TL-14 Combat Armor is in the KCr60 range in T20.) but provides a huge level of protection and mobility increase.

In CT and MT, Battledress is virtually identical, as far as rule treatment is concerned, especially practical rule treatment, to combat armor but costs 5 times to 10 times as much.

OOops I got it wrong. IMTU Marine Battledress runs just under KCr200.
Quoting myself from January 2005.

Marine BattleDress

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> Class: Augmented Armor EP Output: 12.469 EP/hour
Cost: Cr170,704.36 Agility: 4 (3.984EP/HR)
Tech Level: 14 Initiative: +4
Size: Medium (249vl) AC:30 (+14 Armor, +4 Agility, +2 Camo)
Streamlining: Standard AR:14
Pressurized: Yes SI:25
Climate Control: Yes Visual: Holovideo (1KM), IR (1KM), LI (1KM)
Drive Train 1: Legged (2)
Drive Train 2: Grav Sensors: Auditory (50m), Enhanced Tactile
Crew: 1 Neutrino (5KM)
Passengers: 0 Comm: 2 Way Radio: 5KM, Laser Com: 5KM
Cargo Space: 12.9936vl
Battery: 598.512EP
Range: 48 Hours

Speed (Legs)
Acceleration: 2KPH
Off Road: 15kph Very Slow: 2KPH Slow: 5KPH
Cruising Speed: 10KPH Fast: 15KPH Max: 20KPH

Speed (Grav)
Acceleration: 32KPH Very Slow: 32KPH Slow: 80KPH
Cruising: 160KPH Fast: 240KPH Max: 320KPH

Other Equipment: 2x Appendages (Str 20/+5, Dex 14/+2)</pre>
This is my current Marine Battledress. I was thinking about adding weapons, but I like flexibility. The EP output is sufficeint to run both drive trains at once for the full 48 hours. (So you can go from grav to ground mode without having to worry about switching power routing.)
[/quote]I have since modified it to carry two sets of laser comms. (Relay purposes.) It was easier to copy this one than to find my copies and convert for easy reading on here.

And I do have a TL15 set around here somewhere, but since in my current campaign it is 994, most things top out at TL14 with TL15 being experimental, new and not yet massed produced on the scale of equipping Marines all along the front. (Besides the differences are actually minor, it gets one more point of armor, being the only really significant one.)

Further Marine Battledress, IMTU, is not available on any market. It is highly classified, and missing suits attract lots of attention in terms of recovery of them. Possessing a suit of Marine Battledress is a crime that falls under Imperial High Law. Since the MOJ is unlikely to easily take down a perp in such a suit, they usually call the Marines to assist in the apprehension of these criminals. IMTU, Armor is regulated like weapons. In most jurisdictions light armor is tolerated, but Milspec armor, up to and including the THB Battledress is heavily regulated and requires Mercenary licenses. Battledress is a special qualifier on a Merc license. (Kind of like in most jurisdictions, driving a heavy truck is a special license.)

Originally posted by BetterThanLife:
OK Rifle Stats. 8+ (41.6667%) with a skill level of only 1. (Now we are down to TL5.) And our Marine is running across the battlefield not thinking about where he is going.
In which case he is evading and shoud get the -4 DM to being hit ;)

That's now a 12 to hit him
file_23.gif

By the way, I like the Battle Dress design

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BetterThanLife:
OK Rifle Stats. 8+ (41.6667%) with a skill level of only 1. (Now we are down to TL5.) And our Marine is running across the battlefield not thinking about where he is going.
In which case he is evading and shoud get the -4 DM to being hit ;)

That's now a 12 to hit him
file_23.gif

By the way, I like the Battle Dress design
</font>[/QUOTE]As for evading, he is running without thinking about it. That isn't evading, especially before the unit realizes they are under fire.

As for liking the design, thank you sir. I will admit it was lots of trial and error and this was the fourth or fifth attempt at it. (And I think I had someone point me in the right direction for batteries.)

veltyen - Which after a little experience on a bike or in a car that has about the same level of thought.
As wearing cloths? thats the difference as I see it though to be fair when using the G-belt some skill would be required.

veltyen - You seem to be arguing that an inproved interface makes a difference in the class of vessel. For conjecture would that mean that controlling a car with an automatic gearbox would no longer be driving?
Are you serious? so when I put on my armor for SCA fighting I suppose I am piloting a suit of mail? the servos in powered BD inhance muscle movement with mechanical energy they do not replace it.

veltyen - How about battlepods or wheeled battledress?
Vehicles but since I can find rules for neither in CT I went to T4s emperors arsenal where all BD seems to be designed as vehicles if im reading it correctly.

BetterThanLife - Actually running across a battlefield does require quite a bit of focused thought. In that it is similar to running across a Football Field during a game, (Either Football or Soccer, same for this purpose.) only the battlefield is far from flat and a mistep could be quite deadly instead of a simple injury.
Having ran across a few battlefields IRL I disagree with your opinion. Determining where you wish to run and by what route does require thought or direction from a NCO but it is not as if you are concentrating on the actual mechanics of human movement or steering. that comes at an instinctual level. Thus my contention that you wear BD you do not pilot it (except when boosting with G-pack) and that is the bench mark I set for armor vrs vehicle.

BetterThanLife - Which still gains you no speed.
encumberance and speed over time.
How much does combat armor weigh? if we use the tl12 vacc suit for example we find combat armor will weigh ~ 2 kg (a little low IMO)not including any other equipment carried.. lets say standard combat load
Rifle 5.5kg i think
ammo/grenades 2-5kg
misc (knife tooth brush bandages ect)1-5kg
rukpack 1-20kg depending on mission usually dropped at onset of firefight.
your man in combat armor is trying to run about with atleast 11kg of gear on him and possibly more so figure 30+ lbs while the guy in BD in unencumbered by carried gear. who do you think can run for speed and distance?

BetterThanLife - Actually I am not hung up on unit cost as much as I am hung up on Battledress cost effectiveness.
but you are missing that BD is more than armor. it is powered armor with a G-belt or contra grav type device (according to Emperors Arsenal all tl13+ aug BD has built in g-belt type devices) High end sensor and communications equipment battle computers and who knows what else. the G-belt accounts for half of the unit cost. (IMTU all BD has built in G-belts mainly because i like the bounce aspect of starship troopers and because it makes sense)
Lets try to break it down
TL13 BD cost 200k CT book1
G-belt 100k TL12 CT book3
electronic sights 2k TL9 CT book1
medpack with auto dispenser and drugs 1k+ TL7 CT book3
battle computer 100k TL9 CT book4
anti laser aerosol/ smoke launcher 10cr TL10 CT book4

we could go on but so far that 200k suit of BD has at least 203,010 cr worth of gear. I guess the armor value is free. Fact is CT only really hints at what could be in a suit of BD I have just extrapolated my thoughts. they could be wrong but then again maybe not. makes sense to me.

BetterThanLife - Since you aren't going to provide an example of why BD is worth the money, I will provide one as to why it isn't.
troops in BD get +2 to surprise rolls. that can be a fight winner right there.

BetterThanLife - The end all and be all of armor is likely to let the individual wearer to be taken down by a single burst from an Automatic Rifle at long range, when equipped with telescopic sights. That is a TL6 weapon. A skill level of 1 gives you a 5+ to hit and two rolls to do it with.
AR vrs BD -3 ~ scope at lr +4 ~ rifle 1 ~ urban -4 ~ AR at LR +1 ~ total -1 if the BD trooper is evading -2 at medium -4 at long so net result for your example is -5

But wait.. if using the scope the AR is treated like a rifle. the debate becomes can a scope be used with a AR firing a burst since the AR only uses the AR matrix and only gets 2 shots while doing so. common sense says no. secondly since the scope specifies attachment to a rifle or carbine but says nothing about attachment to a auto rifle I would again say no. then again if placed in semi auto mode the auto rifle is treated in all ways as a rifle so... scope can be used with a auto rifle but only in semi auto mode not in full auto mode.

Personal weapons of charted space states "for careful aimed shots at medium range and beyond"

this just enforces my opinion that a scope cannot be used for auto fire.

that changes things

rifle vrs BD at LR -4 -1 ~ scope at lr +4 ~ rifle skill 1 ~ city -4 net -4 to hit -8 if BD is evading.

BetterThanLife - As for evading, he is running without thinking about it. That isn't evading, especially before the unit realizes they are under fire.
Now you are just being silly. Are saying that a BD trooper in battlefield conditions would not be using cover and checking for lines of fire? you were not in the military I would guess to even suggest this. second point BD sensors would probably have you people pin pointed long before the BDs were in engagement range.

BetterThanLife - Then 3D against a single random 2D physical stat, (first hit) generally reducing that stat to 0 and your target unconscious.
Medpack auto injects drugs and BD trooper is back on feet in ten minutes at most less depending on stim drugs or any of a huge range of possibilities.

BetterThanLife - Higher tech weapons are even more dangerous. The end all and be all of personal armor in CT would allow a WWII Platoon to wipe out a TL15 Marine squad, especially if the WWII platoon was in a defensive position, in a matter of less than one combat round.
BD mobility and sensors combined with the BDs ability to mask its own location will remove any advantage your ww2 sqaud may have for its defensive position. The BD squad will hit from behind or above generally fire first (+2 to surprise rolls) fire faster (combat drugs) and have the firepower to reduce your squad to dust before they even know what is happening.

I find that not a very effective use of your military budget.
By that thinking neither was the SR71 or the F22. What you seem to lack is imagination and the ability to guess what "various kinds of electronic assistance -CT 1 " and "other capabilities classified -T4 and T4 emperors arsenal" might mean. "Known abilities include full life support anti grav movement tactical communications broad spectrum sensing capabilities limited point defence versus hand launched missles. -T4"

BetterThanLife - This isn't a high tech Merc unit. This is common garden variety bandits on a backwater world. (TL-5 Rifles are not quite as good but they aren't bad.)
No what you have is charred grease and ashes. Chances are your squad or company would not have even returned fire before they died.

BetterThanLife - And your rule for running for an unlimited distance? Where did that come from? I have looked through LBB1-6. The only CT rules I come up with for Battledress and Endurance are from LBB1 page 42.
The distance a person in BD can run is the same as a unencumbered person can run. that distance is sure to be more than a encumbered person in combat armor and it is common sense that the unencumbered person would run faster in addition to outdistancing the poor slob in combat armor. no need to run around obstacles as you can just grav boost over them not to mention that the BD trooper could just fly if he wanted useing the G-belt at around 100kph and is limited only by the BDs power supply. My rule is common sense

Jamus, this is the T20 forum. You are obviously adding things not in the OTU or the rules to make your point about CT BD. We are way off topic. So take your BD to YTU and enjoy your game. We aren't going to agree on this.

You called me out and asked me to answer some specific questions.

The OP asks why BD is so much better than combat armor in regards to protection, he seems to feel it should not be and as a CT player I agree with him. I also state early on that combat armor is more useful and economical in the line infantry role. version of traveller has nothing to do with this statement.

BetterThanLife - Jamus, this is the T20 forum. You are obviously adding things not in the OTU or the rules to make your point about CT BD. We are way off topic. So take your BD to YTU and enjoy your game. We aren't going to agree on this.
What exactly have I added to the rules and what exactly have I added that is not in OTU. I listed each reference and TL of every item involved.

Other than the assumed gear a BD unit may have and the two CT task formuae showing that you are wrong and that your soldier with AR probably couldnt even hit a BD trooper what have I stated that is not universal to Traveller?

But to get back on topic No a suit of BD should not offer any more protection that a suit of combat armor.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />veltyen - Which after a little experience on a bike or in a car that has about the same level of thought.
Jamus As wearing cloths? thats the difference as I see it though to be fair when using the G-belt some skill would be required.</font>[/QUOTE]Yeah, Pretty much about as much as wearing clothes. The level of thought is "I go over there" rather then worrying about the technical aspects of driving. None of the driving part required any thinking at all.

This was fairly early on driving 8+ hours a day, maybe as long as 2 months in. These days I have gone back to just commuting, and I do need to think a bit more about what I am doing, even though I now drive a car with an automatic transmission.

Personal experience doesn't equal evidence, but it is a place to start.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />veltyen - You seem to be arguing that an inproved interface makes a difference in the class of vessel. For conjecture would that mean that controlling a car with an automatic gearbox would no longer be driving?
Jamus Are you serious? so when I put on my armor for SCA fighting I suppose I am piloting a suit of mail?</font>[/QUOTE]To move effectively in armour, yes you are looking at a skill. For cross country hiking while carrying loads that would be survival under T20. As far as I can tell that comes as a freebie skill with the armor proficiency in T20.

There's no "walking" skill as such by itself, and I wasn't suggesting that was even a good idea. Robots have to take drive to walk around, I assumed humans just have an effective very high default skill in "drive(legs)" when it came to their own mobility units, and only use other skills when appropriate.

Jamus But to get back on topic No a suit of BD should not offer any more protection that a suit of combat armor.
I have to disagree with you on this point. One of the reasons to have powered armour over unpowered armour is to carry greater weight. If that weight can be used to protect the operator more effectively why should it not be used in that way?

On the other hand the default rules for BD make it about as tough as a medium tank of the same TL, which seems a little tough for a sentient in glorified body armour, and can be a problem depending on the storyline being told. If the BD is out of PC hands, and only in the hands of the ungodly hammer of the imperium, then making it that tough is perfectly appropriate.

You called me out and asked me to answer some specific questions.

The OP asks why BD is so much better than combat armor in regards to protection, he seems to feel it should not be and as a CT player I agree with him. I also state early on that combat armor is more useful and economical in the line infantry role. version of traveller has nothing to do with this statement.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />BetterThanLife - Jamus, this is the T20 forum. You are obviously adding things not in the OTU or the rules to make your point about CT BD. We are way off topic. So take your BD to YTU and enjoy your game. We aren't going to agree on this.
What exactly have I added to the rules and what exactly have I added that is not in OTU. I listed each reference and TL of every item involved.

Other than the assumed gear a BD unit may have and the two CT task formuae showing that you are wrong and that your soldier with AR probably couldnt even hit a BD trooper what have I stated that is not universal to Traveller?

But to get back on topic No a suit of BD should not offer any more protection that a suit of combat armor.
</font>[/QUOTE]Gravitic drive with CT BD, moving at a run without tiring indefinitely, moving at a run without thinking across a battlefield equals evading. Not one of those are in any of the LBBs I have. If they are please point them out.

More importantly, we aren't going to come to any agreement here, regardless of how long we have this conversation. Since this is a topic that is in the T20 forum, it should, IMHO, shade more to T20, not BD in CT issues. So further conversation in this direction is not, IMHO, productive.

I also state early on that combat armor is more useful and economical in the line infantry role. version of traveller has nothing to do with this statement.
Um...that's clearly not true. In many versions of Traveller (TNE, T4, GT, T20), BD gives more protection than CA, and thus the version of traveller is clearly relevant.

On whether BD should provide more protection than CA, canon says BD is used. Therefore, there should be a good reason to wear it.

Um...that's clearly not true. In many versions of Traveller (TNE, T4, GT, T20), BD gives more protection than CA, and thus the version of traveller is clearly relevant.

On whether BD should provide more protection than CA, canon says BD is used. Therefore, there should be a good reason to wear it.
Exactly. The cost difference goes down in other versions and the value of Battledress improves especially as protection goes up. TNE starts the trend that BD actually provides more protection than Combat Armor.

True and I concede the point. I was thinking on that today at work actually and asked myself.. If the BD frame can support so much weight why not more armor? In CT I believe it was for simplicity that the two share the same defense but as you point out in T4 BD armor improves as TL increases.

Gravitic drive with CT BD, moving at a run without tiring indefinitely, moving at a run without thinking across a battlefield equals evading. Not one of those are in any of the LBBs I have. If they are please point them out.
G-belts are in CT

Noone said running indifintely I stated that the effectively unencumbered person could run faster and further than the encumbered person thus granting more battlefield mobility. common sense.

I would assume.. maybe for the worse that a BD marine unit would be trained at least to current US army infantry standards. IMTU the training is much more intense but..
Firstly moving at a run is evasive second no real thinking need be given to running from one set of cover to the next. are you asserting that diving behind a sandbag or tree requires active thought and decision making? Are we to believe that trained soldiers do not automatically move in an evasive manner each and everytime they are in battlefield conditions? also not the case.

I do stand by the opinion that CT BD includes a ton of options not specified in the books but clearly hinted at and I do stand that evading movement over the battlefield does not require conscious thought but I am only speaking from experience on that last point. If you stop to think you die. training makes certain actions instinctual<sp>

I guess if you want to bring this thread back on topic I would say that granting the vehicle class damage resist to battle armor doesnt make alot of sense. I would think that alot of that damage resist would come from vehicle mass and stability and lets be honest here.. even if the BD had the armor to stop a missle or large caliber round the trooper inside would still be sent flying or knocked down by the kenitic force IMO... unless contra grav systems were to be designed to keep the guy upright.. thats possible i guess.

Back