• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Consolidated TNE Errata

DonM

Marquis
In preparation for the upcoming release of the GDW TNE products on CD-ROM by FFE, Marc Miller has asked that I begin compiling errata for the various TNE products. The latest version of the errata can always be found at my website, http://dmckinne.winterwar.org/pdfs/ConsolidatedTNEErrata.pdf

And I'll announce in this thread when updates are available.

Last edited:
I do have one of those, but I haven't scanned it yet. if you can wait a day or two I can provide you with one scanned copy.

Thank you. Now... Other than what was in Challenge, and the Upgrade Booklet, did GDW produce any other "official" errata documents?

Not that I know of. They had however some erratas and upgrades listed in the back of some of their books.

There is a set of errata put out for FF&S Mk1 Mod1 that includes the plasma changes in Challenge 76, but has some extra stuff. This is the first hit I got for it from Google. I've got a text version of the same document that appears to have been emailed from the GDW Genie account.

Hopefully the CD will have the Mk1 Mod1 versions of TNE and FF&S and won't need the upgrade book. (I finally tracked down the later versions and it's one less set of errata to check. :) )

Last edited:
Right -- but we can't count on TNE users on the web having the Mk1/Mod1 versions. So, getting the Upgrade booklet into a usable format is my first task.

It doesn't help that a BUNCH of the TNE material has backgrounds that make it difficult to OCR.

Ok, I've updated the first post with the link to the library where I've uploaded the first draft.

The one thing that stood out on the errata is the entry on Trin in the Regency Sourcebook section on page 41, stating that the Naval Base requires a B-class port. Whilst IN policy was to have a Naval Base located in the same system as an A or B-class port - the text, IIRC, mentions that the Naval Base is being maintained despite the damage suffered by Trin.

Sufren also has a C-class port and a Naval Base.

On the subject of ports: Vampire Fleets and Guilded Lily mentions worlds maintaining small fleets, even though the worlds are marked with starport X. It stood out for me, but I guess it could be read as the worlds having no official starport.

BTW - could the Errata document have its copy protection removed? Might make commenting on specifics easier if sections could be copied for quotation.

I've confirmed, there is NO SECURITY on the existing document. And the Properties box says Content Copying is "Allowed".

Given that GDW listed the Trin fix, I suspect Sufren should be fixed as well... and are there actual examples of such worlds in Vampire Fleets and Guilded Lilly you can point me at?

This stuff is why this is a draft. I was amazed at how much stuff in World Gen and Trade was ripped right out of MT and without the errata.

And there are two MT errata elements still not in the Trade section, but one of them involves a Task which they may not have wanted to convert.

I've confirmed, there is NO SECURITY on the existing document. And the Properties box says Content Copying is "Allowed".

Must be a quirk with my system then.

Given that GDW listed the Trin fix, I suspect Sufren should be fixed as well... and are there actual examples of such worlds in Vampire Fleets and Guilded Lilly you can point me at?

Where was the Trin fix in your document listed? The only Regency Sourcebook errata I can locate (Harold Hale to TML, 31st October 1995) mentions the need to replace the scout base at Trin on the map with a naval base - there is no mention of the starport.

Also, the whole idea of 'the collapse' is that some facilities could survive against the odds. In the Collapse Effects section a base could survive if the starport was reduced only one level. Therefore an A-port reducing to B could possibly retain a Naval Base, Scout Base, Way Station or Depot. This also applied to B-ports reducing to C. This applies to both Sufren and Solee in the Wilds and was an integral part of the TNE setting.

As to the Vampire Fleets and Guilded Lily worlds - my books are on the other side of the planet, but as far as can remember there's one world in Khavle (D) Subsector (Aight perhaps), and another one or two in Promise (L) Subsector. In the Guilded Lily, Madoc (O) Subsector had a few X-port worlds with small fleets. That said, I don't think there was any errata given for these - and given that Isis in Smash and Grab had an SDB operating despite the absence of any official starport, it probably was intentional, and so not in need of errata at all.

By the way, did GDW release the changes to the Government step of the Collapse Effects Determinations section shown on page 21 of your document? They seem to invalidate a lot of GDW's published TNE works - no wilds and big changes to the definition of a TED. In fact, with Feudal Technocracy being one option for a TED government, that implies that a lot of the governments in the RC are TEDs.

Where was the Trin fix in your document listed? The only Regency Sourcebook errata I can locate (Harold Hale to TML, 31st October 1995) mentions the need to replace the scout base at Trin on the map with a naval base - there is no mention of the starport.

In a set of RSB errors. I haven't even started on the stellar data fixes yet. Ugh.

Also, the whole idea of 'the collapse' is that some facilities could survive against the odds. In the Collapse Effects section a base could survive if the starport was reduced only one level. Therefore an A-port reducing to B could possibly retain a Naval Base, Scout Base, Way Station or Depot. This also applied to B-ports reducing to C. This applies to both Sufren and Solee in the Wilds and was an integral part of the TNE setting.

But anything in the RSB will have had time to conform back to the "rules" -- that might be why Trin is an error and Suffren is not. I haven't found fixing Suffren to be on any list.

As to the Vampire Fleets and Guilded Lily worlds - my books are on the other side of the planet, but as far as can remember there's one world in Khavle (D) Subsector (Aight perhaps), and another one or two in Promise (L) Subsector. In the Guilded Lily, Madoc (O) Subsector had a few X-port worlds with small fleets. That said, I don't think there was any errata given for these - and given that Isis in Smash and Grab had an SDB operating despite the absence of any official starport, it probably was intentional, and so not in need of errata at all.

I'm thinking that perhaps they decided that Regency worlds should conform the rules (ie, no naval base on a world without a class A or B starport) but in the Wilds that rule can be ignored.

By the way, did GDW release the changes to the Government step of the Collapse Effects Determinations section shown on page 21 of your document? They seem to invalidate a lot of GDW's published TNE works - no wilds and big changes to the definition of a TED. In fact, with Feudal Technocracy being one option for a TED government, that implies that a lot of the governments in the RC are TEDs.

I don't know that they "released" them. Making the TED government rules fit with Trade and Commerce is a set of notes from them, but I can't find where they were released. I did find a post from Derek Wildstar to the TML that contained something VERY close to the GDW notes saying he was sending it to Loren (who didn't keep any notes, AUGGH!), so I suspect they were planned for a Challenge issue but the end came.

The problem is that the Government step of the Collapse Effects doesn't mesh with other parts of the rules.

And there's actually some commentary in one of the books about any government which uses its control of technology being a potential TED (perhaps it's Star Vikings, the personalities book?).

Those notes don't eliminate the Wilds, they eliminate the wilds having unique governments that don't match the worldgen and trade subsystems.

I was actually surprised at how little of the official errata for MT in the trade and world generation rules made it into TNE. There are whole parts of those rules in TNE which match MT's FIRST printing, not its' third. And apparently someone at GDW was aware of that, because the errata was in the notes.

Don't know if its an errata or something left out or something else, but based on my recent attempts at designing ducted fan lift vehicles using FF&S1 I have discovered that they are only viable if their power plants are subject to the same volume and hence mass reductions as those attached to propellers in the thrust section. Without this adjustment TL8 and 9 ducted fan craft require afterburners to even get off the ground, with the alteration they can move reasonably well in NOE and at higher tech levels should be quite reasonable (though still heavy fuel users).

PoT Errata

Don,

additional Path of Tears errata are:

The entry on Spencer on p15 states "A low-level insurgency is apparently being supported by one or more states on Teldora as a means of keeping the Coalition tied down and distracted"
Pages 140-41 gives the Teldoran as non-balkanised. The text on p141 states "The Teldoran government viewed Oriflamme's invasion of Spencer with considerable alarm, and now sees Oriflamme as the principal threat to its security. It has been smuggling arms and other supplies to guerrillas on Spencer to keep the resistance going and keep Oriflamme tied down there."

Suggest changing the text on p15 to read "A low-level insurgency is apparently being supported by one or more factions of the Teldoran government as a means of keeping Oriflamme tied down and distracted"

Page 141 states "Kal has increased its indigenous sustainable technology to 9"
However its UWP gives its tech level as 7.

Suggest changing text to read "Kal has increased its indigenous sustainable technology to 7"

Page 123 states that "Mueller made an early and rapid recovery to its original tech level of 10"
Its UWP gives its original tech level as 11.

Suggest changing text to read "Mueller made a rapid recovery to its original tech level of 11"

On the subject of the errata, I think the additions made to bring TNE into line with other editions of Traveller should be in a separate section, as they are not TNE Errata, and in some cases make changes necessary to a lot of TNE Books.

One case in point is the changes to TED governments and wilds governments. This is best illustrated by the TED government table.

The table gives a chance of a TED government being one of the traditional Traveller governments as follows:

Feudal Technocracy: 3%
Self-Perpetuating Oligarchy: 6%
Captive Government (Colony): 8%
Non-Charismatic Leader: 25%
Totalitarian Oligarchy: 31%
Religious Autocracy: 11%
Religious Dictatorship: 8%
Charismatic Dictator: 6%
Charismatic Oligarchy: 3%

The problem is this: In the TNE setting TED governments are - by a vast margin - of a Non-Charismatic Leader or Charismatic Dictator type. This is not that much of a surprise as 'TED' stands for 'Technologically Elevated Dictator'.

Looking at Path of Tears, which covers Promise, Khulam, Thoezennt, Shenk, Aubaine and Oriflamme subsectors. Promise does not have much expansion text beyond that detailing the world Promise itself, so I'll ignore it in this analysis.

Khulam has the following TED worlds:

Suudo 2840 D778568-6 Ni Ag B102 Wi F1 V
Kide 3131 D68476A-8 Ri Ag 220 Wi M4 V
Lefiguura 3132 X86856A-3 Ni Ag B110 Wi G2 V M9 D

The text says about these worlds:

Suudo: There are 5 rival TEDs
Kide: The TED Arturo.
Lefiguura: There are 4 TEDs. Gustav, Razamis, Elinore, Kuugishiim.

No indications of anything but dictatorships.

Thoezennt has:

Sibbage 0123 X254669-6 Ag Ni 502 Wi M1 V
Burlta 0125 X79986E-1 B700 Wi M3 V
Hodg 0222 X75886C-A 802 Wi M0 V
Lote 0229 X77A66B-3 Ni Wa B802 Wi M1 V
Coaise 0723 X556867-6 C:3 414 Wi A4 V
Marax 0726 D57366D-6 Ni 903 Wi G1 V M3 D

The text says about these worlds:

Sibbage: "...under a single technologically elevated dictator."
Hodg: "...a single extremly cruel and corrupt TED."
Lote: Of the Lotean Empire, a TED government it says "Cavring is effectively the absolute ruler of Lote".
Marax: "The government of marax is a technologically elevated dictatorship...Ushugaam II is everything the RCES briefing says he is and more."
Burlta: "The world is divided into a number of feudal kingdoms...A parallel struggle, however, is for dominance by the different schools of "wizards" who rely on scattered items of TL-15 equipment or psionic powers
Coaise: No reference beyond the UWP.

So, of the worlds mentioned there are no indications of anything but dictatorships.

Shenk has:

Berkin 0926 X66A76B-5 Wa B904 Wi G2 V M3 D
Welch 0930 X344569-6 Ag 322 Wi M0 V M4 D G6 D
Shenk 1128 X554869-3 D:2 B212 Wi K4 V M4 D
Fisher's World1229 X76986B-3 B404 Wi G8 V M8 D
Marcena 1321 X57576A-7 Ag B514 Wi K1 V
Hindahl 1422 X75486B-4 B600 Wi K0 V
Kmak 1424 C696865-7 801 Wi K2 V
Dothan 1623 X54976A-4 B603 Wi K4 V M9 D

Berkin: "The Margrvate's government is...fairly benign, for a TED, but also widely percieved as inefficient and ineffectual".
Welch: No reference beyond the UWP.
Shenk: "When Balder landed in 1199 near the site of the former scout base, the ship and crew were seized by the troops of the Warlord of Stampach, a powerful local TED".
Fisher's World: "The major agressor on Midshiled is the Emporor of Arcola". The Arcolan Empire is given as a TED government.
Marcena: "This is a balkanised TED world...While a few TEDs support Solee..."
Hindal: "...most of the TEDs are fighting against Solee."
Kmak: A TED goverment. "Romrugo III, the planetary ruler..."
Dothan: "This is a balkanised TED world"

No indications of anything but dictatorships.

Aubaine has:

Nicosia 0138 X56666D-3 Ag Ni B411 Wi K4 V M2 D

"The Australian Empire (Actually a TED in which the dictator had recently assumed the title of Emperor)"

Oriflamme has:

Nex 1431 X55476A-6 Ag 913 Wi M0 V M9 D
Junak 1432 X67176C-3 B803 Wi M3 V M9 D

Nex: "While technically a TED, the planet's ruler imposed order and ended the worst of the violence."
Junak: "This is a fairly typical balkanised TED world".

So, we have 20 TED government worlds in Path of Tears. Two of these, Coaise and Welch, have no reference beyond the UWPs. That leaves us with 18 worlds. Now given the 2D6 distribution in the "TED Government Table" in the TNE Errata Document you would expect to have:

One Feudal Technocracy or a Charismatic Oligarchy.
One Self-Perpetuating Oligarchy and one Charismatic Dictator.
One or two of the following: Captive Government, Religious Dictatorship.
Two Religious Autocracies.
Five or Six Totalitarian Ologarchies.
Four or Five Non-Charismatic Leaders.

But there are only dictators in the text, where it is explicit. There is a reference that Oriflamme wishes Nex's government to be considered a Feudal Technocracy - but the text also says that this is viewed by the Federalists in the RC as solely an attempt to increase the Centrist votes in the RC Assembly.

And talking of being explicit, the text refers to Montezuma, in Khulam, in the following way:

"...whilst looking like a classic TED, it's actually a Charismatic Oligarchy"

i.e. Charismatic Oligarcies are not TED governments.

So, no Charismatic Oligarchies, no Self-Perpetuating Oligarchies, no Captive Governments or Religious Dictatorships, no Religious Autocracies and no Totalitarian Oligarchies. If the TED Government Table is adopted as official errata then you are going to have to cover Path of Tears in red ink.

Talking of red ink, the Wilds Government Table modification table is also going to result in red ink across most, if not all TNE publications.

All this red ink leads me to ask - are these changes someone's IMTU notes? In my opinion they don't reflect the TNE setting as presented by GDW - or the rules. I'm fine with errata - but retconning TNE because of someone's wish to alter the rules and setting is right out.

Regency Sourcebook Errata

If you're going to go with changing Trin's Starport to B, then you're going to have to alter the parts of the text which refer to the naval forces at Trin that were forced to move due to the degrading of the port.

On the subject of naval bases and starports - you are also going to have to make changes to Mirriam's UWP: D472464-8 N (Spinward Marches 1315)

So, no Charismatic Oligarchies, no Self-Perpetuating Oligarchies, no Captive Governments or Religious Dictatorships, no Religious Autocracies and no Totalitarian Oligarchies. If the TED Government Table is adopted as official errata then you are going to have to cover Path of Tears in red ink.

Talking of red ink, the Wilds Government Table modification table is also going to result in red ink across most, if not all TNE publications.

All this red ink leads me to ask - are these changes someone's IMTU notes? In my opinion they don't reflect the TNE setting as presented by GDW - or the rules. I'm fine with errata - but retconning TNE because of someone's wish to alter the rules and setting is right out.

We're not retconning TNE. I think we're trying to get the Government Tables and the Trade Tables to play nice with each other.

But perhaps we're going the wrong direction. Should we be beating on the trade tables instead of the government tables?

Or, should we just leave the sleeping dog alone?

Back