• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Does Classic Traveller need an update?

Does Classic Traveller need an update?

• Total voters
We also had private email discussions between Cepheus Publishers and Mongoose during the OGL debacle. Mongoose said they would give us 10 years to continue publishing if the OGL was pulled. Though at the same time Mongoose said that if we weren't making Traveller stuff, there need not be a conversation.
Thanks for saying this. I knew there were discussions between Mongoose and you Cepheus folks, but this is the first I've heard what Mongoose said during those discussions. If I read this correctly, Matt said, if you're not making stuff for the OTU, then you can't make stuff at all. Is this a correct summary?

Traveller is not the OTU, the Third Imperium or any other era.

Traveller was meant for you to make up your own setting.

To use the condenced words of what Marc wrote:

"Using Traveller players are capable of playing single scenarios or entire campaigns set in virtually any science fiction theme or situation.
Modern science-fiction tradition provides many ideas and concepts to be imitated, the possibilities are endless with imagination being the only limit.

Welcome to the universe of Traveller"

Thanks for saying this. I knew there were discussions between Mongoose and you Cepheus folks, but this is the first I've heard what Mongoose said during those discussions. If I read this correctly, Matt said, if you're not making stuff for the OTU, then you can't make stuff at all. Is this a correct summary?
I doubt it be cause the would be beyond silly as Matt doesn't have that kind of power.

I doubt it be cause the would be beyond silly as Matt doesn't have that kind of power.
OK, maybe I should have said "If you're not making stuff for the OTU, then you can't make anything for the TAS program."
Of course users can create their own universes. But Matt may have been trying to limit what gets published under a Traveller license.

OK, maybe I should have said "If you're not making stuff for the OTU, then you can't make anything for the TAS program."
Of course users can create their own universes. But Matt may have been trying to limit what gets published under a Traveller license.
I don't know what the TAS program is. But I can create an adventure and publish it saying it is for use in playing Traveller. With NO license whatsoever. Just like I can create a side mirror for a 1976 Corvette and say on the package that it is for use on a 1976 Corvette. As long as I state "Corvette is a trademark of General Motors, blah, blah, blah"

The TAS (Traveller's Aid Society) program is the only was someone can publish for the OTU (using licensed terms like Third Imperium). Mongoose gets a cut of TAS products. It is a type of license.
And I didn't say you couldn't make a product and release it, I said "trying to limit what gets published under a Traveller license" (new part bolded).

Sorry Misread that … I am still pondering the impact of the Mongoose OGL and 3rd Party License
I thought so. You've been around Trav for a long time. I think the OGL will bring more Traveller products to market overall. The OGL did that for D&D 3.x. Made a healthy ecosystem of indie developers.

I thought so. You've been around Trav for a long time. I think the OGL will bring more Traveller products to market overall. The OGL did that for D&D 3.x. Made a healthy ecosystem of indie developers.
You said Microsoft and something clicked in my head.
What I am doing right now is reading the rulings of the: 1998 US Vs. Microsoft, and the 2016 DaVinci Editrice SRL vs Yoka Games and looking at the Mongoose public statements regarding 3rd Party Publishing. There is a parallel between what Matt has said on line and what Bill gates testified too.

For TAS. There is/was another license, though mongoose wants approval over what gets published. Not sure if anyone signed on for that, and honestly it has been over a year and a half, I have not seen anything really. There has been some TAS stuff, though not a lot as far as I have seen, not from the cepheus side, there have been titles from the people who were using TAS before, like 3-4 people.

OGL Traveller is Cepheus Engine, the TAS is the DM's Guild License; Wizards of the Coast were going to pull the OGL, which is the same one that Mongoose released the SRD for Mongoose 1e (and natural they did so, as they built themselves on d20); their 2e is not OGL.

Traveller is not the OTU, the Third Imperium or any other era.

Traveller was meant for you to make up your own setting.

To use the condenced words of what Marc wrote:

"Using Traveller players are capable of playing single scenarios or entire campaigns set in virtually any science fiction theme or situation.
Modern science-fiction tradition provides many ideas and concepts to be imitated, the possibilities are endless with imagination being the only limit.

Welcome to the universe of Traveller"
When I first bought the Black Box with its three LBBs, that is what I loved about it. Over the years and various publications and editions I watched as Traveller did become tied more and more to the single setting. But I never could let go of the toolbox mentality. My Traveller Universe, as we say, is a strange mix and merging of various settings. And I love it that way. :) (y)

You said Microsoft and something clicked in my head.
What I am doing right now is reading the rulings of the: 1998 US Vs. Microsoft, and the 2016 DaVinci Editrice SRL vs Yoka Games and looking at the Mongoose public statements regarding 3rd Party Publishing. There is a parallel between what Matt has said on line and what Bill gates testified too.
The controlling law is out of a Texas based case. Don't remember the name. Our company's I.P. law firm briefed us on it a number of years ago. It was from ~2012

OGL Traveller is Cepheus Engine, the TAS is the DM's Guild License; Wizards of the Coast were going to pull the OGL, which is the same one that Mongoose released the SRD for Mongoose 1e (and natural they did so, as they built themselves on d20); their 2e is not OGL.
Who said their 2emis OGL? But that is TOTALLY irrelevant. NONE of the rules in 2e are copyright. NONE

Who said their 2emis OGL? But that is TOTALLY irrelevant. NONE of the rules in 2e are copyright. NONE
The mechanics themselves are not copyright. But the interpretation, the text around the rules, that is protected. If you wanted to publish your own set of rules that is similar to MgT2e, you would have to re-write all the text. That is the beauty of the OGL and Cepheus Engine: you can use whole chunks of already-written text instead of re-writing dozens or hundreds of pages. Personally, I don't care if Mongoose pulls the OGL; I'll keep using Cepheus in it's many forms, and any version of Traveller that I can borrow rules from. But then, I'm not a publisher trying to make money.

The mechanics themselves are not copyright. But the interpretation, the text around the rules, that is protected. If you wanted to publish your own set of rules that is similar to MgT2e, you would have to re-write all the text. That is the beauty of the OGL and Cepheus Engine: you can use whole chunks of already-written text instead of re-writing dozens or hundreds of pages. Personally, I don't care if Mongoose pulls the OGL; I'll keep using Cepheus in it's many forms, and any version of Traveller that I can borrow rules from. But then, I'm not a publisher trying to make money.
For the most part no. Text that is rules or details/explains rules is not protected. Read the law for more details.

Back