• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Does Classic Traveller need an update?

Does Classic Traveller need an update?

• Total voters
In my mind Mongoose 1e (and by definition CE) is updated Classic Traveller. I'd probably pare things down a bit more in the skill department by getting rid of cascades and use percentages for starship drives, but that's about it.

the core rulebook update 2022 is trademark Far Future Enterprises, while the High Guard 2022 update is copyright Mongoose.
But these are not the same thing.

I would expect all of the Mongoose stuff to be copyright Mongoose. They wrote it.

But the trademark is under license from FFE.

When the trademark become Mongoose, you'll know Something happened.

Maybe (probably) I'm just stuck in my ways, but fundamentally I find CT to be superior to MgT. Many of the things that speak to modern RPG sensibilities (e.g. careers directly generating "story events") don't really do it for me. I prefer CT's stark, economic style too.

I mean, it's hard to argue with success. MgT is the longest-running, most expansive and probably most successful version of Traveller that ever existed. But I'd still rather keep tinkering with CT.

And the future of this forum as well.
Anyway, if you want a little more info and are on the Traveller Discord, go to the Cepheus-Engine channel and look for the thread called "Traveller IP changes hands". It's basically a conversation between John Watts and Rob Eaglestone.
I was there for that. We also had private email discussions between Cepheus Publishers and Mongoose during the OGL debacle. Mongoose said they would give us 10 years to continue publishing if the OGL was pulled. Though at the same time Mongoose said that if we weren't making Traveller stuff, there need not be a conversation. I think for me, and others, part of what keeps us around is that we have been part of the Traveller community for so long it is difficult to say goodbye.

Mike Wightman said:
He's sold it?
Are you sure? Has this been confirmed anywhere?

John Watts says (on Discord) he spoke to Marc back early this year, and Marc confirmed he sold the whole thing to Matt. Marc is about 75, so I figure this is his retirement and a way of passing the baton on. John said Marc's family wasn't interested in controlling the property. The weird thing to me is that Matt hasn't announced this loudly. Note also that CotI (this website) is now run out of UK.
(Also, 3rd Dynasty has said their latest license is with Mongoose, not thru Marc.)
He sold Traveller to mongoose? And the site is controlled by the UK? …. Get the webring back up. That is so jacked up. Mongoose ruined Runequest and the Elric franchises so I can see where this is headed.

I was there for that. We also had private email discussions between Cepheus Publishers and Mongoose during the OGL debacle. Mongoose said they would give us 10 years to continue publishing if the OGL was pulled. Though at the same time Mongoose said that if we weren't making Traveller stuff, there need not be a conversation. I think for me, and others, part of what keeps us around is that we have been part of the Traveller community for so long it is difficult to say goodbye.
Yeah I just read the march 7, 2024 email about third party publishing. CT-T5 are being killed off for MgT2 to increase its market share and where I cannot be critical is an attempt to yoke all that creative talent out there for the MgT2 products. The problem is for MgT2 is the majority of people I know who have tried it dumped it. I bought a few PDFs and am less than impressed, which was the same with Moongoose Runequest and Elric material. All flash, overpriced, and poorly executed.

MongooseMatt responded to similar concerns on one of the Discords this week. According to that statement, he has no intentions to shut down this forum, the wiki, or TravellerMap, nor limit access to prior editions. He hasn't said anything specifically about T5.

MongooseMatt responded to similar concerns on one of the Discords this week. According to that statement, he has no intentions to shut down this forum, the wiki, or TravellerMap, nor limit access to prior editions. He hasn't said anything specifically about T5.
Gypsy I respect you and I know you have been here a long time. But, I read the posts over on Mongoose, while he has not stated it overtly, I am skeptical the OGL License and 3rd Party Publishing have language in them that could be very restricting. Now many people embrace the MgT system and it is smart to harness and direct such talent. But, from my perspective it seems the gaming industry has a recent trend, in the last decade or so, of creating discouraging environments. For example I would love to work on a CT Group to consolidate, update, and re-publish the rules. Just add to the legacy keeping the golden era of 3rd Imperium alive. I don’t see that happening with what I read. I am not in this for any profit at all. As stated he is mainly interested in the MgT2 system being the Traveller system and going forward with that.

Last edited:
To avoid issues with the Miller estate, maybe a permanent license was issued.

While I think that Traveller had missed it's shot by a decade, in trying to pitch it's intellectual property during the last golden age of television, when money was flowing like honey, it's likely artificial intelligence will make fantasy animation rather cheap in about five to ten years, so I'd hold on to media rights.

But these are not the same thing.

I would expect all of the Mongoose stuff to be copyright Mongoose. They wrote it.

But the trademark is under license from FFE.

When the trademark become Mongoose, you'll know Something happened.
I used the wrong word and can't edit - it should say the books have trademark Mongoose.

Gypsy I respect you and I know you have been here a long time. But, I read the posts over on Mongoose, while he has not stated it overtly, I am skeptical the OGL License and 3rd Party Publishing have language in them that could be very restricting.
Well, game rules cannot be IP. So, 99% of what's in the SRD cannot be controlled or licensed by anyone. WotC realized that and thus stopped what they were trying to do. So anyone can publish whatever they want as long as it doesn't have IP. One can even state, as an an example, "Designed for use with "Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition" with no license required.

Yeah I just read the march 7, 2024 email about third party publishing. CT-T5 are being killed off for MgT2 to increase its market share and where I cannot be critical is an attempt to yoke all that creative talent out there for the MgT2 products. The problem is for MgT2 is the majority of people I know who have tried it dumped it. I bought a few PDFs and am less than impressed, which was the same with Moongoose Runequest and Elric material. All flash, overpriced, and poorly executed.
I'll keep on keeping on, make my own system with hookers and blow. ;)

Anyways, all the cepheus publishers I have talked with have said their own products do better than the TAS branded stuff. I bought the core books to check it out, though the players at my table prefered the rules which we were using. Some of it is the same, others getting more crunchy like spacecraft didn't see the need to do it. I'll keep it on my shelf though I don't know if I will play it again. Personally it leans into their own interpretation of the 3I and that is cool, though it doesn't feel the same to me as early 80's CT did, though tbf I am an old man now so maybe theirs is the new hip thing. I have my own setting, real star maps, more plausible sf "harder" though by necessity space opera as that is what RPG's have to be, character driven. Maybe I am not interested in any linear story anymore, I know I usually run a sandbox where they characters are typically scouts in trucker hats.

This is sort of where I am at now. Love the feel and ideas but do not feel tied to a single story arch.
If someone's play style accommodates a linear adventure, and everyone is having fun, that is awesome. I was at gencon and in the call of cthulhu room their had games setup with horror on the orient express and it was literally a little railroad. Looked neat, kinda difficult to not crack a wry smile at it though.

Parts is parts, I steal from adventures all the time, though also I find that scrubbing the serial numbers means the players won't know if they have read them before.
For me, even the couple times I realized I knew where something came from, it was more fun to "play along" and not try and spoil things. As a GM, I agree, borrow from many sources and focus on the fun. :)

For me, even the couple times I realized I knew where something came from, it was more fun to "play along" and not try and spoil things. As a GM, I agree, borrow from many sources and focus on the fun. :)
I do that too, just play along so as to not ruin it for anyone. Though one of my biggest resources is wikipedia, and history in general, nothing beats reality for weirdness.

Gypsy I respect you and I know you have been here a long time. But, I read the posts over on Mongoose, while he has not stated it overtly, I am skeptical the OGL License and 3rd Party Publishing have language in them that could be very restricting. Now many people embrace the MgT system and it is smart to harness and direct such talent. But, from my perspective it seems the gaming industry has a recent trend, in the last decade or so, of creating discouraging environments. For example I would love to work on a CT Group to consolidate, update, and re-publish the rules. Just add to the legacy keeping the golden era of 3rd Imperium alive. I don’t see that happening with what I read. I am not in this for any profit at all. As stated he is mainly interested in the MgT2 system being the Traveller system and going forward with that.
I understand your misgivings. I am simply passing along one of his most recent statements since it is germane to the discussion. How true that public statement remains is entirely up to Mongoose.

Back