• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Does Classic Traveller need an update?

Does Classic Traveller need an update?

• Total voters
I think, little chance that Marc would update CT, as he's sold Traveller to Mongoose. So any updating will have to be done by each of us, for our own use. Which for me, means modifying Cepheus Engine with bits and pieces from most Traveller editions.
Yes, when you buy Cepheus Deluxe you also get an editable Doc of it so you can house rule. I just finished mine and converted to a PDF for my players. If someone wants to look at it let me know. They give you the legal verbiage to put in to ID as Cepheus Deluxe house ruled.

Yes, when you buy Cepheus Deluxe you also get an editable Doc of it so you can house rule. I just finished mine and converted to a PDF for my players. If someone wants to look at it let me know. They give you the legal verbiage to put in to ID as Cepheus Deluxe house ruled.
CE also has an editable doc version too. I've started down this path a number of times, but then always (so far) reverted to my handful of house rules for CT and given up the CE+ house rule path. I think it's just the case that, for me, I dislike enough of the design changes from CT to CE to borrow from CE/CD in my CT game.

T20 would be so much better if it had been built on D20Modern/Future - but that would have required a time machine.;

Conversion is pretty easy :)
Hunter considered it, as D20M came out very shortly after T20 was done. His health and the prospect of doing it all again were too much.

I think, little chance that Marc would update CT, as he's sold Traveller to Mongoose. So any updating will have to be done by each of us, for our own use. Which for me, means modifying Cepheus Engine with bits and pieces from most Traveller editions.
He's sold it?
Are you sure? Has this been confirmed anywhere?
I thought he had licenced it, but the copyright sections of the latest books...
now read trademark Mongoose rather than trademark Far Future Enterprises

Last edited:
Mike Wightman said:
He's sold it?
Are you sure? Has this been confirmed anywhere?

John Watts says (on Discord) he spoke to Marc back early this year, and Marc confirmed he sold the whole thing to Matt. Marc is about 75, so I figure this is his retirement and a way of passing the baton on. John said Marc's family wasn't interested in controlling the property. The weird thing to me is that Matt hasn't announced this loudly. Note also that CotI (this website) is now run out of UK.
(Also, 3rd Dynasty has said their latest license is with Mongoose, not thru Marc.)

Mongoose is now selling PDFs of pre-Mongoose Traveller on their website as well. However, they are stil also available from FFE on DTRPG.

The MgT books - the latest few have Traveller as a trademark of Mongoose, the core rulebook update 2022 is trademark Far Future Enterprises, while the High Guard 2022 update is copyright Mongoose.

Not to be indelicate, but what then is the future of T5? And of the CE carve out if Mongoose holds the total rights and licenses?

Nobody knows
And the future of this forum as well.
Anyway, if you want a little more info and are on the Traveller Discord, go to the Cepheus-Engine channel and look for the thread called "Traveller IP changes hands". It's basically a conversation between John Watts and Rob Eaglestone.

Well, I'm basically still working on my "Classic Traveller total conversion" house rules, which I intend to make available for free under fair use. I guess the main question is whether Mongoose is going to keep CT available on the same scale FFE did. And another question is if and when I need to replace the disclaimers for FFE with Mongoose ones.

That is realistically my only concern. I can see the problems John and other small publishers have with the prospect on Mongoose taking over, but I think that people like myself, who stay firmly in the "free fanworks" sphere should be fine. Unless, as alluded to, Mongoose decides to pull previous versions of Traveller from the PDF market. However, a.) as of now, they've done the exact opposite (and in fact, making older versions more visible by putting them up on Mongoose's site is likely a good thing), b.) I hope and assume Marc has made sure that won't happen and c.) I don't think Mongoose would pull such a dick move.

At the sake of sounding stupid, I am unsure if the transfer of IP ownership will have any impact on me at all. I own all the Traveller books I could use in the next 20 years. that puts me at 80+. I am well stocked with adventures and support content and tables and NPCs and planets etcetera. I bought into Cepheus as well, again lots of content on the shelf already. I really do not see any worry on my part at all. :)

I do, however, understand the concern for those who create and published content. The change could impact them to one degree or another. (y)

Back